Mailing List Archive

running gpg-agent in foreground
I would like to run my development version of GPG-agent under valgrind.
As I understand it, for that purpose I have to run it in the foreground,
i.e. in server mode. However, whenever I launch it as

./bin/gpg-agent --homedir <my-gpg-home-dir>  --log-file agent.log
--server --debug-all

then, when I launch a private key operation via the gpg application, a
new agent is started (in daemon mode) and used by gpg and I find no way
to get the agent launched in server mode to ever process anything.

In contrast, if I start it with the same command line, except for using
daemon mode, i.e.,

./bin/gpg-agent --homedir <my-gpg-home-dir>  --log-file agent.log
--daemon --debug-all

then the gpg application always connects to it like expected.

Any ideas how I can launch the agent in the foreground so that the gpg
application will connect to it?

- Falko

--

*MTG AG*
Dr. Falko Strenzke

Phone: +49 6151 8000 24
E-Mail: falko.strenzke@mtg.de
Web: mtg.de <https://www.mtg.de>

<https://www.linkedin.com/search/results/all/?fetchDeterministicClustersOnly=true&heroEntityKey=urn%3Ali%3Aorganization%3A13983133&keywords=mtg%20ag&origin=RICH_QUERY_SUGGESTION&position=0&searchId=d5bc71c3-97f7-4cae-83e7-e9e16d497dc2&sid=3S5&spellCorrectionEnabled=false>
Follow us
<https://www.mtg.de/de/aktuelles/MTG-AG-erhaelt-Innovationspreis-des-Bundesverbands-IT-Sicherheit-e.V-00001.-TeleTrust/>
<https://www.itsa365.de/de-de/companies/m/mtg-ag>

MTG AG - Dolivostr. 11 - 64293 Darmstadt, Germany
Commercial register: HRB 8901
Register Court: Amtsgericht Darmstadt
Management Board: Jürgen Ruf (CEO), Tamer Kemeröz
Chairman of the Supervisory Board: Dr. Thomas Milde

This email may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If
you are not the correct recipient or have received this email in error,
please inform the sender immediately and delete this email.Unauthorised
copying or distribution of this email is not permitted.

Data protection information: Privacy policy
<https://www.mtg.de/en/privacy-policy>
Re: running gpg-agent in foreground [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 17 Jan 2024 14:01, Falko Strenzke said:
> I would like to run my development version of GPG-agent under valgrind. As I
> understand it, for that purpose I have to run it in the foreground, i.e. in
> server mode. However, whenever I launch it as

No, that will not work for you. I recommend this:

cd /my/test/directory
GNUPGHOME=`pwd` gpg-agent --daemon /bin/sh

This way you can easily start gpg-agent via valgrind. Instead of
running a shell directly you may also use a script instead of /bin/sh:

#!/bin/sh

SSH_AUTH_SOCK=$(gpgconf --list-dirs agent-ssh-socket)
export SSH_AUTH_SOCK
cat >setup-tests.ini <<'EOF'
PS1="$(echo "$PS1" | sed 's,\\\$ $,(GnuPGTest)\\\$ ,')"
export HISTCONTROL=ignoreboth
export HISTFILE=$(pwd)/.bash_history
EOF
exec bash --init-file setup-tests.ini

which gives you a dedicated prompt so that you can easily see that you
are in a test environment.

For logging put "log-file socket://" into common.conf and
run

watchgnupg --time-only --homedir /my/test/directory

in another terminal. Add --force to take over the logging socket.
Useful debug options for gpg-agent.conf are "debug ipc". Use
"gpg-agent --debug help" to get a list of all debug options.

Salam-Shalom,

Werner

--
The pioneers of a warless world are the youth that
refuse military service. - A. Einstein
Re: running gpg-agent in foreground [ In reply to ]
Thanks, the first approach seems to work fine for me.

- Falko