I do not want to use Gmail to send that kind of informations and I'm
comtemplating using posteo.de.

Is this any better?

In other words, how do you use e-mails with a recipient that should be
able to open and reply to e-mails as usual.

Sorry for being OT.

--
John Doe

Re: OT: Best way to send e-mails to a recipient that does know encryption [ In reply to ]
> I do not want to use Gmail to send that kind of informations and I'm
> comtemplating using posteo.de.
>
> Is this any better?

I'd argue of course it's better. Google openly admits reading your
e-mail, so other mail providers that respect your privacy should be
preferred. I particularly like posteo.de, because the 1€/month fee is
still very cheap but makes clear that they have a different business
model that doesn't involve customer data. Furthermore, they deploy a
very sophisticated solution that makes it technically impossible to
match payment data or IP addresses to mailboxes, and even fought (and
won!) a lawsuit against the German authorities that wanted to force
posteo to hand out customer data (which they don't even collect).

However, while this will surely be an improvement over providers like
Google, it doesn't solve the encryption problem. While providers like
posteo make it easy for laypeople to use encryption, for example by
providing good instructions and supporting gpg encryption in their
webclient, you'd probably still need to help a layperson in setting up
their gpg keys, either in thunderbird or in the webclient of a provider
supporting this. So if the person is willing to try encryption, you're
probably best off by helping them doing it before sending your personal
information.

Hope that helps a bit,

lukaro

Re: OT: Best way to send e-mails to a recipient that does know encryption [ In reply to ]
Il 02 gennaio 2024 alle 09:40 john doe via Gnupg-users ha scritto:
> In other words, how do you use e-mails with a recipient that should be
> able to open and reply to e-mails as usual.

If email is not a strict requirement, two Matrix can be set up
to have an encrypted conversation, same with XMPP
—F

Re: OT: Best way to send e-mails to a recipient that does know encryption [ In reply to ]
On Dienstag, 2. Januar 2024 12:16:15 CET LuKaRo wrote:
> > I do not want to use Gmail to send that kind of informations and I'm
> > comtemplating using posteo.de.
> >
> > Is this any better?
>
> I'd argue of course it's better. Google openly admits reading your
> e-mail, so other mail providers that respect your privacy should be
> preferred. I particularly like posteo.de, because the 1€/month fee is
> still very cheap but makes clear that they have a different business
> model that doesn't involve customer data. Furthermore, they deploy a
> very sophisticated solution that makes it technically impossible to
> match payment data or IP addresses to mailboxes, and even fought (and
> won!) a lawsuit against the German authorities that wanted to force
> posteo to hand out customer data (which they don't even collect).

Posteo will release data to authorities if they are forced to do so by a
judicial order. See their transparency reports for details:
https://posteo.de/en/site/transparency_report

I'm still using Posteo.

Regards,
Ingo
Re: OT: Best way to send e-mails to a recipient that does know encryption [ In reply to ]
On 1/2/2024 at 9:26 AM, "Ingo Klöcker" <kloecker@kde.org> wrote:

>Posteo will release data to authorities if they are forced to do
>so by a
>judicial order. See their transparency reports for details:
>https://posteo.de/en/site/transparency_report
>
>I'm still using Posteo.

=====

Another option is Hushmail.

It allows to send encrypted mail to someone who has no encryption experience and to any email address.

The Receiver agrees on a passphrase with the Sender, and the Sender sends the encrypted email.

The Receiver gets a notice in whatever email he/she is using, with a link to a site on the hushmail server.

The Receiver clicks on a link, and Hushmail requests a passphrase. Only 3 attempts are allowed. The message is erased on the 4th try.

The message is also erased after 72 hours from the time it is sent. If the passphrase is correct, it displays the plaintext of the message.

Again, if you are suspected of being a terrorist or a human trafficker, and Law Enforcement gets a convincing order, they will release your information.

They are based in Canada. Price is 49 US$ / year. Allows for unlimited aliases, (that haven't already been taken).

If anyone wants to try out the encryption, please send me an email, and tell me what you want your passphrase to be.

vedaal