Mailing List Archive

Can preferred order of decryption keys be specified?
Hello,

I intend to encrypt stuff for myself using two keys. One of the keys is
on a Yubikey and (probably because it is the default-key for signing?)
it is always tried first, even though the second one is on-disk and the
agent already knows its pass-phrase. This means that when decrypting
this stuff on machines that know about both keys but the Yubikey is not
inserted I get an unnecessary message to insert a card with serial
number XY even when it is not necessary.

When using the throw-keyids option, this gets quite a bit worse and the
dialog appears six times before the correct key is tried and succeeds.

Is there a way to specify a preferred decryption key (that is different
from the default signing key)?

Incidentally, does anybody know how to convince emacs EasyPG to pass
--no-throw-keyids to GPG? :-)

Thank you,

Martin

Re: Can preferred order of decryption keys be specified? [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 14 Oct 2023 12:06, Martin Jambor said:

> Is there a way to specify a preferred decryption key (that is different
> from the default signing key)?

Although we meanwhile have a way to set preferences for ssh keys [1] we
don't have this for decryption keys. :-(

> Incidentally, does anybody know how to convince emacs EasyPG to pass
> --no-throw-keyids to GPG? :-)

Elisp is easy to modify ;-). One other idea: Replace the throw-keyid in
gpg.conf by

[getenv no_throw_keyid NO_THROW_KEYID]
[if $no_throw_keyid -z ]
throw-keyid
[fi]

and then have Emacs to set the NO_THROW_KEYID envvar to 1 or so.

Shalom-Salam,

Werner

[1] In the respective .key file you may put this name/value:
*** Use-for-ssh
If given and the value is "yes" or "1" the key is allowed for use by
gpg-agent's ssh-agent implementation. This is thus the same as
putting the keygrip into the 'sshcontrol' file. Only one such item
should exist. If another non-zero value between 1 and 99999 is used,
this is taken to establish the order in which the keys are returned to
ssh; lower numbers are returned first. If a negative value is used
this overrides currently active (inserted) cards and thus allows to
prefer on-disk keys over inserted cards. A value of -1 has the
highest priority; values are capped at -999 and have a lower priority
but still above the positive values, inserted cards or the order in
sshcontrol.

--
The pioneers of a warless world are the youth that
refuse military service. - A. Einstein