--
ilf

If you upload your address book to "the cloud", I don't want to be in it.

Re: GPGME: disable S/MIME (signature verification) [ In reply to ]
On Mittwoch, 2. August 2023 16:31:19 CEST ilf wrote:
> How can I disable S/MIME or S/MIME signature verification in GPGME?
>
> Many Mutt users use GPGME, but few verify S/MIME signatures. In these
> cases, the check is useless. It's also annoying, because it can take
> around 25 seconds to timeout and fail.

Add
disable-dirmngr
to your gpgsm.conf.

This won't disable S/MIME signature verification, but it disables expensive
online checks. The alternative in GpgME is
https://gnupg.org/documentation/manuals/gpgme/Offline-Mode.html#Offline-Mode

Regards,
Ingo
Re: GPGME: disable S/MIME (signature verification) [ In reply to ]
Thanks. But those sound like they affect OpenPGP, too.

Sorry, I didn't make this explicit in my first mail: But I want to use
OpenPGP with all features, including Dirmngr. I just don't want to use
S/MIME.

Ingo Klöcker:

Re: GPGME: disable S/MIME (signature verification) [ In reply to ]
On Mittwoch, 2. August 2023 20:53:46 CEST ilf wrote:
> Ingo Kl?cker:
> > Add disable-dirmngr to your gpgsm.conf.
> > This won't disable S/MIME signature verification, but it disables
> > expensive
> > online checks. The alternative in GpgME is
> > https://gnupg.org/documentation/manuals/gpgme/Offline-Mode.html#Offline-Mo
> > de
>
> Thanks. But those sound like they affect OpenPGP, too.
>
> Sorry, I didn't make this explicit in my first mail: But I want to use
> OpenPGP with all features, including Dirmngr. I just don't want to use
> S/MIME.

It shouldn't. OpenPGP is handled by gpg which has it's own config file.
gpgsm.conf is only used by gpgsm which deals with S/MIME.

Regards,
Ingo
Re: GPGME: disable S/MIME (signature verification) [ In reply to ]
That seems to work nicely. Thanks!

Ingo Klöcker: