Mailing List Archive

non self-signed RSA PGP keys
I was trying to verify an X-Force PGP-signed message the other day.
Here is the key and my attempt to import it:

zblaxell@lain:~$ gpg --version
gpg (GnuPG) 1.0.0
This program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
under certain conditions. See the file COPYING for details.

Supported algorithms:
Cipher: 3DES, CAST5, BLOWFISH, TWOFISH
Pubkey: RSA, RSA-E, RSA-S, ELG-E, DSA, ELG

zblaxell@lain:~$ gpg --import
^D
gpg: key 7DF5E1BD: no valid user IDs
gpg: this may be caused by a missing self-signature
gpg: Total number processed: 1
gpg: w/o user IDs: 1

Assuming that I can verify this key some other way (or that I trust one
of the certificates attached to the key on www.keyserver.net), is there
any reason why gpg should not be able to import this key?

Currently I cannot import this key into gpg at all, which means I can't
even lsign it.

--
I don't speak for Corel. zygob@corel.ca at work, zblaxell@furryterror.org
at play. GPG-encrypted email preferred at zblaxell@feedme.hungrycats.org
Re: non self-signed RSA PGP keys [ In reply to ]
Zygo Blaxell <eayhfhbo@umail.corel.com> writes:

> Assuming that I can verify this key some other way (or that I trust one
> of the certificates attached to the key on www.keyserver.net), is there
> any reason why gpg should not be able to import this key?

Ask the owner to sign his key.

Or try the option --allow-non-selfsigned-uid

--
Werner Koch at guug.de www.gnupg.org keyid 621CC013
Re: non self-signed RSA PGP keys [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 23 Nov 1999 18:21:32 +0100, Werner Koch <wk@gnupg.org> wrote:
>Zygo Blaxell <eayhfhbo@umail.corel.com> writes:
>> Assuming that I can verify this key some other way (or that I trust one
>> of the certificates attached to the key on www.keyserver.net), is there
>> any reason why gpg should not be able to import this key?
>
>Ask the owner to sign his key.

Done that. No response yet.

>Or try the option --allow-non-selfsigned-uid

Doesn't work...

zblaxell@lain:~$ gpg --allow-non-selfsigned-uid --import

Re: non self-signed RSA PGP keys [ In reply to ]
Hi Zygo!

Have you compiled the RSA module. I was getting these until I compiled and
installed it.

Sean

On Tue, 23 Nov 1999, Zygo Blaxell wrote:

> On Tue, 23 Nov 1999 18:21:32 +0100, Werner Koch <wk@gnupg.org> wrote:
> >Zygo Blaxell <eayhfhbo@umail.corel.com> writes:
> >> Assuming that I can verify this key some other way (or that I trust one
> >> of the certificates attached to the key on www.keyserver.net), is there
> >> any reason why gpg should not be able to import this key?
> >
> >Ask the owner to sign his key.
>
> Done that. No response yet.
>
> >Or try the option --allow-non-selfsigned-uid
>
> Doesn't work...
>
> zblaxell@lain:~$ gpg --allow-non-selfsigned-uid --import
> gpg: key 7DF5E1BD: no valid user IDs
> gpg: this may be caused by a missing self-signature
> gpg: Total number processed: 1
> gpg: w/o user IDs: 1
>

> --
> I don't speak for Corel. zygob@corel.ca at work, zblaxell@furryterror.org
> at play. GPG-encrypted email preferred at zblaxell@feedme.hungrycats.org
> GPG @ Home fingerprint: 2B32 546D 21A5 0DB2 20C8 AF10 1D4A 610E 6972 2DEE
> GPG @ Work fingerprint: CC25 D214 1B4B 2767 51B9 51E5 58DD 13B9 875B C08E

Sean

--
GPG ID (DSA) 92B9D0CF PGP2 ID 19592A0D Linux User: #124682 ICQ: 679813
To get my PGP Keys send me an empty email with retrieve as the subject
Re: non self-signed RSA PGP keys [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 23 Nov 1999 21:05:49 +0000, Sean Rima <thecivvie@penguinpowered.com> wrote:
>Have you compiled the RSA module. I was getting these until I compiled and
>installed it.

I routinely use RSA keys with PGP people. X-Force's public key is the
only public key I've ever seen that doesn't have a published
self-signature.

Re: non self-signed RSA PGP keys [ In reply to ]
Hi Zygo!

On Tue, 23 Nov 1999, Zygo Blaxell wrote:

> On Tue, 23 Nov 1999 21:05:49 +0000, Sean Rima <thecivvie@penguinpowered.com> wrote:
> >Have you compiled the RSA module. I was getting these until I compiled and
> >installed it.
>
> I routinely use RSA keys with PGP people. X-Force's public key is the
> only public key I've ever seen that doesn't have a published
> self-signature.

I see a lot of them but mainly on the Mutt mailing list and I think they are
german keys.

Sean