Mailing List Archive

Current state and contact (various questions)
Hello,

this is my first post here. I'm an experienced Dev and FOSS contributor
which worked quite some with gpg recently.

I got some questions:

1. Who takes care for tasks like updating the website?
For example https://gnupg.org/documentation/manpage.html would be easy
to update. Someone could easily do it. Who is responsible? How can I do
it myself?

2. Difference of public key between gpg and Thunderbird. What do I have
to do to yield the same public key file?
I create a key pair in gpg and then import it to thunderbird. When using
the "attach pub key to mail" option another pub key is used than I have
saved in my gpg exported file

2.1 The export of gpg --armor --export $KEY yields a different public
key than Thunderbird is creating. I'm using this script:
https://gist.github.com/B1773rm4n/97c347ab77ac2ae3b8595f0c89b99bb4#file-creategpg-sh-L86

2.2 One clue which I got via --list-packets is that gpg is using new-ctb
- Thunderbird is using the old ctb. Maybe this yields different results?
I haven't been able to find any documentation about that new-ctb. Where
can I find it?

3. I'm already asking the Ubuntu community but want to ask here too: gpg
on Ubuntu jammy is 12 months old running 2.2.27. How is the current
process / communication handled? Is there anything I can do to
support/speed up this process?

4. Is there any IRC channel or other way of chat communication available
for gpg?

Greets B1773rm4n

Re: Current state and contact (various questions) [ In reply to ]
On Mittwoch, 2. Februar 2022 08:30:56 CET B1773rm4n via Gnupg-users wrote:
> Hello,
>
> this is my first post here. I'm an experienced Dev and FOSS contributor
> which worked quite some with gpg recently.
>
> I got some questions:
>
> 1. Who takes care for tasks like updating the website?
> For example https://gnupg.org/documentation/manpage.html would be easy
> to update. Someone could easily do it. Who is responsible? How can I do
> it myself?

The source code of the website is at
https://dev.gnupg.org/source/gnupg-doc/browse/master/web/

You can submit patches via dev.gnupg.org or per email to the gnupg-devel
mailing list.

> 2. Difference of public key between gpg and Thunderbird. What do I have
> to do to yield the same public key file?
> I create a key pair in gpg and then import it to thunderbird. When using
> the "attach pub key to mail" option another pub key is used than I have
> saved in my gpg exported file

Don't bit-wise compare the result of key exports of different applications.
There is more than one representation of the same public key. As long as all
exports carry the same information, there is nothing to worry about.

Differences between armored public key blocks created via different ways was
recently discussed on this mailing list. Check the archive.

> 3. I'm already asking the Ubuntu community but want to ask here too: gpg
> on Ubuntu jammy is 12 months old running 2.2.27. How is the current
> process / communication handled? Is there anything I can do to
> support/speed up this process?

That's entirely up to Ubuntu. Talk to the maintainer of the gpg package for
Ubuntu.

> 4. Is there any IRC channel or other way of chat communication available
> for gpg?

the information about the channel at freenode.org is probably outdated. I
haven't check, but I assume that the channel has moved off of freenode.org
like many other FOSS channels.

Regards,
Ingo
Re: Current state and contact (various questions) [ In reply to ]
Hi B1773rm4n,

you said that export of gpg --armor --export $KEY yields a different
public key than Thunderbird is creating. In fact, this is not true. It
is the same key, only their formats are different (new and old format).
You wouldn't say as well that the ASCII armor and the binary keys are
different.

If you use the command gpg -v --list-packets (verbose listing) for the
"different" keys you should see, that they contain the same same key
material ;-)

Kind regards,
/Ann.

Re: Current state and contact (various questions) [ In reply to ]
Forgive my terseness, on from my phone. The OP may find this message from the archives to be useful:
https://lists.gnupg.org/pipermail/gnupg-users/2021-December/065639.html

On Feb 2, 2022 3:59 AM, Ingo Klöcker <kloecker@kde.org> wrote:

On Mittwoch, 2. Februar 2022 08:30:56 CET B1773rm4n via Gnupg-users wrote:&#13;
> Hello,&#13;
> &#13;
> this is my first post here. I'm an experienced Dev and FOSS contributor&#13;
> which worked quite some with gpg recently.&#13;
> &#13;
> I got some questions:&#13;
> &#13;
> 1. Who takes care for tasks like updating the website?&#13;
> For example https://gnupg.org/documentation/manpage.html would be easy&#13;
> to update. Someone could easily do it. Who is responsible? How can I do&#13;
> it myself?&#13;
&#13;
The source code of the website is at&#13;
https://dev.gnupg.org/source/gnupg-doc/browse/master/web/&#13;
&#13;
You can submit patches via dev.gnupg.org or per email to the gnupg-devel &#13;
mailing list.&#13;
&#13;
> 2. Difference of public key between gpg and Thunderbird. What do I have&#13;
> to do to yield the same public key file?&#13;
> I create a key pair in gpg and then import it to thunderbird. When using&#13;
> the "attach pub key to mail" option another pub key is used than I have&#13;
> saved in my gpg exported file&#13;
&#13;
Don't bit-wise compare the result of key exports of different applications. &#13;
There is more than one representation of the same public key. As long as all &#13;
exports carry the same information, there is nothing to worry about.&#13;
&#13;
Differences between armored public key blocks created via different ways was &#13;
recently discussed on this mailing list. Check the archive.&#13;
&#13;
> 3. I'm already asking the Ubuntu community but want to ask here too: gpg&#13;
> on Ubuntu jammy is 12 months old running 2.2.27. How is the current&#13;
> process / communication handled? Is there anything I can do to&#13;
> support/speed up this process?&#13;
&#13;
That's entirely up to Ubuntu. Talk to the maintainer of the gpg package for &#13;
Ubuntu.&#13;
&#13;
> 4. Is there any IRC channel or other way of chat communication available&#13;
> for gpg?&#13;
&#13;
See at bottom of https://gnupg.org/documentation/mailing-lists.html although &#13;
the information about the channel at freenode.org is probably outdated. I &#13;
haven't check, but I assume that the channel has moved off of freenode.org &#13;
like many other FOSS channels.&#13;
&#13;
Regards,&#13;
Ingo
Re: Current state and contact (various questions) [ In reply to ]
> this is my first post here. I'm an experienced Dev and FOSS contributor
> which worked quite some with gpg recently.

<Die Hard>

Welcome to the party, pal!

</Die Hard>

:)

> 1. Who takes care for tasks like updating the website?

Ingo already addressed this fully and correctly, so I'll skip.

> 2. Difference of public key between gpg and Thunderbird. What do I have
> to do to yield the same public key file?

In my last email I included a link to what I said the last time this
came up on-list. If you still have questions after reading that I'm
happy to answer them.

> 3. I'm already asking the Ubuntu community but want to ask here too: gpg
> on Ubuntu jammy is 12 months old running 2.2.27. How is the current
> process / communication handled? Is there anything I can do to
> support/speed up this process?

JFYI, the 2.2 series is a long-term support release. That's probably
why Ubuntu and derivatives are still using it. (Pop!_OS, an Ubuntu
derivative, is still shipping with 2.2.20. Just think, it could be
worse...) Ubuntu is pretty good about backporting security fixes to
older versions of GnuPG, so we don't believe there's any reason to
despair over the version they're shipping.

The 2.3 series is actually an experimental release. As Werner said in
April of 2021, "We are pleased to announce the availability of a new
GnuPG release: version 2.3.0. This release marks the start of public
testing releases eventually leading to a new stable version 2.4."

The entire 2.3 branch is a public beta of what will ultimately become
version 2.4. I'm not going to tell you that you shouldn't encourage
Ubuntu to adopt version 2.3 -- you do you, guy -- but I strongly
recommend that before you do, you have a good answer to this question:

"Why should Ubuntu drop a long-term support release of GnuPG in favor of
an experimental branch?"

The better your answer to that question, the better your chances of
convincing Ubuntu.

Good luck!