Mailing List Archive

Importing a signed key
Hi,

I've upgraded from an old version of GnuPG (1.4.18) to version 2.2.31
and encountered a new behavior which puzzles me:

I would like to import a key that has been previously signed with
`gpg --sign` (say for example "somekey.pub.key.gpg").

In the old version of GnuPG I could import the .gpg-file into the key ring
simply by doing `gpg --import`. The new version, however, does nothing:

$ gpg --import somekey.pub.key.gpg
gpg: Total number processed: 0

On the other hand, importing the plain key-file ("somekey.pub.key")
works:

$ gpg --import somekey.pub.key
gpg: ...
gpg: Total number processed: 1
gpg: imported: 1

I have no problem replacing the .gpg-file with the original .pub.key-file
when importing the key, but I am concerned that I am doing something
unsafe here.

What am I missing here?

Best,
Holger

Re: Importing a signed key [ In reply to ]
Hi Holger,

Am Freitag 15 Oktober 2021 17:55:28 schrieb Holger Sebert:
> The new version, however, does nothing:
>
> $ gpg --import somekey.pub.key.gpg
> gpg: Total number processed: 0

you could add more verbosity to find out what is going on, e.g. like
gpg --verbose --import somekey.pub.key.gpg
or
gpg --verbose --verbose --import somekey.pub.key.gpg
or
gpg --debug-level advanced --import somekey.pub.key.gpg

> On the other hand, importing the plain key-file ("somekey.pub.key")
> works:

If you want to check the signature, try
gpg --verbose --verify somekey.pub.key.gpg
see if the result helps you.

Usually it is considered safe to import public keys, because they are not
automatically trusted by GnuPG. (Usually means, unless you or some GnuPG
using application is makeing other assumptions.)

Regards,
Bernhard

--
www.intevation.de/~bernhard ? +49 541 33 508 3-3
Intevation GmbH, Osnabr?ck, DE; Amtsgericht Osnabr?ck, HRB 18998