Mailing List Archive

WKD docs on the wiki, restructuring. Feedback on forUsers page
Hi All,

the https://wiki.gnupg.org/WKD page got longer over time
and thus should better be split up to help people find
what they are interested in.

Thus I've started with restructuring and found it cannot be done in one step.

New is
https://wiki.gnupg.org/WKD/forUsers
which should address WKD from the users perspective.

It has a principle list of what to look for with email clients
and email providers now. It will later link an annotated list of clients
and providers (once they get properly put in a good place).

Feedback (and help) is always appreciated. :)

Best Regards,
Bernhard
ps.: Christoph will probably help me with updating the wiki as he will write
his bachelor thesis about how to improve the usage of WKD.

--
www.intevation.de/~bernhard ? +49 541 33 508 3-3
Intevation GmbH, Osnabr?ck, DE; Amtsgericht Osnabr?ck, HRB 18998
Re: WKD docs on the wiki, restructuring. Feedback on forUsers page [ In reply to ]
On Tue 28/Sep/2021 17:39:29 +0200 Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> Feedback (and help) is always appreciated.:)

I'm not sure if WKD/forHosts would be a better location than WKDHosting.

Anyway, I'd publish the test suggested by Alissa on this list on 8 July 2019:

gpg --homedir "$(mktemp -d)" --locate-keys hi@alyssa.is

The address https://www.ietf.org/id/draft-koch-openpgp-webkey-service.txt, near
the bottom of the page yields 404. Please use:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-koch-openpgp-webkey-service

Keep up the good work!
Ale

Re: WKD docs on the wiki, restructuring. Feedback on forUsers page [ In reply to ]
12021/06/31 06:01.41 ?????, Alessandro Vesely via Gnupg-users <gnupg-users@gnupg.org> ??????:
> On Tue 28/Sep/2021 17:39:29 +0200 Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> > Feedback (and help) is always appreciated.:)
>

> I'm not sure if WKD/forHosts would be a better location than WKDHosting.
>
> Anyway, I'd publish the test suggested by Alissa on this list on 8 July 2019:
>
> gpg --homedir "$(mktemp -d)" --locate-keys hi@alyssa.is

Hmm, this is odd. I setup WKD as detailed on the https://wiki.gnupg.org/WKDHosting (using the openpgpkey subdomain), currently only for one address on my domain (spam@chiraag.me). Opening the file directly in a web browser does work, so the file is at the correct path with the correct (I presume) permissions. However, running the test given here does _not_ work and fails with the debugging output I've attached.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Chiraag
--
?????? ??????
Pronouns: he/him/his
Re: WKD docs on the wiki, restructuring. Feedback on forUsers page [ In reply to ]
On 30/09/2021 13:17, ?????? ?????? via Gnupg-users wrote:
> Hmm, this is odd. I setup WKD as detailed on thehttps://wiki.gnupg.org/WKDHosting (using the openpgpkey subdomain), currently only for one address on my domain (spam@chiraag.me). Opening the file directly in a web browser does work, so the file is at the correct path with the correct (I presume) permissions. However, running the test given here does_not_ work and fails with the debugging output I've attached.

What URL are you expecting it to be found at? Did you hash the full
email address or just the bit before the @?

Re: WKD docs on the wiki, restructuring. Feedback on forUsers page [ In reply to ]
On 2021-09-30 at 12:17 +0000, ?????? ?????? via Gnupg-users wrote:
> Hmm, this is odd. I setup WKD as detailed on the https://wiki.gnupg.org/WKDHosting (using the openpgpkey subdomain), currently only for one address on my domain (spam@chiraag.me). Opening the file directly in a web browser does work, so the file is at the correct path with the correct (I presume) permissions. However, running the test given here does _not_ work and fails with the debugging output I've attached.
>
> Any ideas?

Do you have user-agent filtering in your web-server?

2021-09-30 17:11:35 dirmngr[733043.6] error accessing 'https://openpgpkey.chiraag.me/.well-known/openpgpkey/chiraag.me/hu/55caf3anhb75xpzx9m6hgw6589ozf1b9?l=spam': http status 403

Running:

curl -fSs 'https://openpgpkey.chiraag.me/.well-known/openpgpkey/chiraag.me/hu/55caf3anhb75xpzx9m6hgw6589ozf1b9?l=spam' | gpg --import

works. So you return the data just fine to curl, but when dirmngr asks
for it, it's getting a "403 Forbidden" response.

That smells to me of a web-server which is trying to block user-agents
it dislikes. This isn't certain, but that's where I'd start looking.

-Phil

Re: WKD docs on the wiki, restructuring. Feedback on forUsers page [ In reply to ]
12021/06/32 07:17.95 ?????, Phil Pennock <gnupg-users@spodhuis.org> ??????:
> On 2021-09-30 at 12:17 +0000, ?????? ?????? via Gnupg-users wrote:
> > Hmm, this is odd. I setup WKD as detailed on the https://wiki.gnupg.org/WKDHosting (using the openpgpkey subdomain), currently only for one address on my domain (spam@chiraag.me). Opening the file directly in a web browser does work, so the file is at the correct path with the correct (I presume) permissions. However, running the test given here does _not_ work and fails with the debugging output I've attached.
> >
> > Any ideas?
>
> Do you have user-agent filtering in your web-server?
>
> 2021-09-30 17:11:35 dirmngr[733043.6] error accessing 'https://openpgpkey.chiraag.me/.well-known/openpgpkey/chiraag.me/hu/55caf3anhb75xpzx9m6hgw6589ozf1b9?l=spam': http status 403
>
> Running:
>
> curl -fSs 'https://openpgpkey.chiraag.me/.well-known/openpgpkey/chiraag.me/hu/55caf3anhb75xpzx9m6hgw6589ozf1b9?l=spam' | gpg --import
>
> works. So you return the data just fine to curl, but when dirmngr asks
> for it, it's getting a "403 Forbidden" response.
>
> That smells to me of a web-server which is trying to block user-agents
> it dislikes. This isn't certain, but that's where I'd start looking.
>
> -Phil

That is very helpful! I'll have to check with my hoster to figure out what's going on, thanks :)

- Chiraag
--
?????? ??????
Pronouns: he/him/his
Re: WKD docs on the wiki, restructuring. Feedback on forUsers page [ In reply to ]
Am Mittwoch 29 September 2021 20:26:02 schrieb Alessandro Vesely via
Gnupg-users:
> On Tue 28/Sep/2021 17:39:29 +0200 Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> > Feedback (and help) is always appreciated.:)
>
> I'm not sure if WKD/forHosts would be a better location than WKDHosting.

Not sure either yet. I'll just know that that https://wiki.gnupg.org/WKD
got too long and needs to be restructured for the different perspectives.
I haven't gotten to the WKDHosting page so far.

> Anyway, I'd publish the test suggested by Alissa on this list on 8 July
> 2019:
>
> gpg --homedir "$(mktemp -d)" --locate-keys hi@alyssa.is

done

> The address https://www.ietf.org/id/draft-koch-openpgp-webkey-service.txt,
> near the bottom of the page yields 404. Please use:
> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-koch-openpgp-webkey-service

done, thanks for your good suggesitons!

Best Regards,
Bernhard