Mailing List Archive

Future OpenPGP Support in Thunderbird
The Thunderbird developers have announced that they will implement
OpenPGP support in Thunderbird 78 [1]. Support for Thunderbird in
Enigmail will therefore be discontinued.

I'd like to explain in the following paragraphs what this will mean for
Enigmail, and why this is an inevitable step.

The Future of Enigmail
----------------------
I will continue to support and maintain Enigmail for Thunderbird 68
until 6 months after Thunderbird 78 will have been released (i.e. a few
months beyond Thunderbird 68 EOL). Enigmail will not run anymore on
Thunderbird 72 beta and newer.

Will this be the end of Enigmail?

No! I will continue to maintain and support Enigmail for Postbox, which
is running on a different release schedule than Thunderbird for the
foreseeable future.

Why Is This Happening?
----------------------
The Mozilla developers have been and still are actively working on
removing old code from their code base. This affects not only
Thunderbird itself, but also add-ons. While it was possible for
Thunderbird to keep old "legacy" add-ons alive for a certain time, the
time has come for Thunderbird to stop supporting them [2]. Thunderbird
78 will no longer to support the APIs that Enigmail requires and only
allow new "WebExtensions".

WebExtensions have a completely different API than classical add-ons,
and a much reduced set of capabilities to hook into the user interface.
For Enigmail to continue to work, it would therefore be required to
rewrite it from scratch. However, that's beyond my available time
limitations.

The Thunderbird developers and I have therefore agreed that it's much
better to implement OpenPGP support directly in Thunderbird. The set of
functionalities will be different than what Enigmail offers, and at
least initially likely be less feature-rich. But in my eyes, this is by
far outweighed by the fact that OpenPGP will be part of Thunderbird and
no add-on and no third-party tool will be required.

-Patrick

[1]
https://blog.mozilla.org/thunderbird/2019/10/thunderbird-enigmail-and-openpgp/
[2] https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/tb-planning/-E8Yw6POxEE
Re: Future OpenPGP Support in Thunderbird [ In reply to ]
While having OpenPGP support directly in Thunderbird is probably a good
thing, I found it convenient to just use the gpg kerys for Email
encryption and signing (and conversely, being able to just use keys
imported via Enigmail to encrypt files using gpg).
It would be really nice, if Thunderbird could add an option to use the
gpg key storage instead of its own, but so far the developers want to
always keep the Thunderbird key storage separately (thoug they are
considering functionality to import keys from gpg to Thunderbird):

https://wiki.mozilla.org/Thunderbird:OpenPGP:2020

Philipp
Re: Future OpenPGP Support in Thunderbird [ In reply to ]
Patrick Brunschwig wrote:

> The Thunderbird developers have announced that they will implement
> OpenPGP support in Thunderbird 78 [1]. Support for Thunderbird in
> Enigmail will therefore be discontinued.

[snip]

> The Thunderbird developers and I have therefore agreed that it's much
> better to implement OpenPGP support directly in Thunderbird. The set of
> functionalities will be different than what Enigmail offers, and at
> least initially likely be less feature-rich. But in my eyes, this is by
> far outweighed by the fact that OpenPGP will be part of Thunderbird and
> no add-on and no third-party tool will be required.

Great news, Patrick. Thanks for sharing!

Regards
Stefan

--
box: 4a64758de9e8ceded2c481ee526440687fe2f3a828e3a813f87753ad30847b56
certified OpenPGP key blocks available on keybase.io/stefan_claas

Re: Future OpenPGP Support in Thunderbird [ In reply to ]
Patrick Brunschwig <patrick@enigmail.net> wrote:
> The Thunderbird developers have announced that they will implement OpenPGP support in Thunderbird 78 [1].

A long awaited news indeed!

> Support for Thunderbird in Enigmail will therefore be discontinued.

Pity, but I hope it will be better that way. In particular I hope, that Mozilla will not follow your example and won’t entice users to proprietary isolated keyserver [0] instead of distributed SKS network thus splitting the keybase. And won’t promote standards [1] that suspiciously resemble embrace-extend-and-extinguish tactics employed against PGP either.

[0] https://keys.openpgp.org
[1] https://pep.security
Re: Future OpenPGP Support in Thunderbird [ In reply to ]
Hi Patrick,

>The Thunderbird developers and I have therefore agreed that it's much
>better to implement OpenPGP support directly in Thunderbird. The set of
>functionalities will be different than what Enigmail offers, and at
>least initially likely be less feature-rich. But in my eyes, this is by
>far outweighed by the fact that OpenPGP will be part of Thunderbird and
>no add-on and no third-party tool will be required.

Great news overall and thanks for the announcement. Thunderbird with direct OpenPGP integration has long been overdue IMHO.

So according to the wiki page [1] I understand that the secret keys will be managed by Thunderbird. That is quite a limitation I think, in contrast to reusing a GPG agent of some sort. Depending on the chosen alternative, it might offer better OS integration, a long time proven secure process architecture, possible reuse with only one central key store and most of all integration with hardware tokens. I personally would not entrust my private keys to a mail application that also displays HTML and possibly executes JavaScript etc. after what we have seen with Efail for example.

So could you please elaborate or extend the wiki page to clear up how hardware tokens fit into the new picture?

Thanks and kind regards.
André

[1]: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Thunderbird:OpenPGP:2020
--
Greetings...
From: Andre Colomb <acolomb@schickhardt.org>

Re: Future OpenPGP Support in Thunderbird [ In reply to ]
> On 9 Oct 2019, at 04:47, Philipp Klaus Krause <pkk@spth.de> wrote:
>
> It would be really nice, if Thunderbird could add an option to use the
> gpg key storage instead of its own, but so far the developers want to
> always keep the Thunderbird key storage separately (thoug they are
> considering functionality to import keys from gpg to Thunderbird):

Agreed. Such functionality is vital for those of us who use smartcards.

Re: Future OpenPGP Support in Thunderbird [ In reply to ]
Hello

I think it is an good Idea for such OSes as Windows or MAC that mainly depends on closed completely integrated Software.
But for Linux/Unix and alike it goes against the main principles of that Software.
And I think it will disturb the Development and Evolution of Software such as PeP, PGP, OpenPGP and so on what´s bad.