Mailing List Archive

ProtonMail and Anonymity
Hi all,

appologies for posting this, but I think it could
be of interest for GnuPG users, because ProtoMail
uses the OpenPGP protocol too.

Some of you may have signed up with ProtonMail and
enjoy the service, due to it's ease of use and they
think they are anonymous, when using this service.

At least ProtonMail says so on their main page.

I have a different understanding of what anonymous
email is, because not only PGP usage but also the
use of anonymous email services is a hobby of mine
which I use since the mid 90's.

O.k. lets get started with a little test (I did a
while ago):

Fire up Tor browser and register at the ProtonMail
site for a free email account and use as a user
name a string from random.org.

https://www.random.org/strings/

When ProtonMail ask you for verification (...????)
of your email account select SMS and use as
SMS service a free one like:

https://miracletele.com/sms/?fbclid=IwAR2hQ2rZ2vyyXylupj3JhJT4AWu4V4CEjX3ACvRSpryD5cMBreoW4La03qE

I just choose for a new test, which I did a couple
of minutes ago, Poland and received there the SMS

https://miracletele.com/sms/receive/PL

After entering the required verification
code ProtonMail says that either the email
address or the phone number is already taken
and then denies the account creation.

Since the user name string can't be taken
already it tells me that they keep track
of SMS numbers.

If you choose for example the U.S. SMS
number then ProtonMail says that this
number was used to many times and also
denies the account creation.

To come to an end, I do consider this
verification procedure *not* anonymous
and wonder why ProtonMail does not use
captchas to see if a human registers.

Regards
Stefan

Re: ProtonMail and Anonymity [ In reply to ]
Isn't it obvious?
If ProtonMail is forcing you to sign up and use
an SMS registered to your cellphone then clearly
it's in their interest to collect cellphone numbers.

They're probably selling this information just like
facebook and so many other data-mining corporations.
After all, they have to fund it somehow.
Re: ProtonMail and Anonymity [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 5 May 2019 11:22:56 -0400
Tony Lane <codeguro@gmail.com> wrote:

> Isn't it obvious?

I don't think so! Users new to privacy related
services may think when visiting the ProtonMail
site that they are anonymous, when seeing their
main page:

https://protonmail.com/

Regards
Stefan

Re: ProtonMail and Anonymity [ In reply to ]
On 5/5/19 1:36 PM, Stefan Claas wrote:
> On Sun, 5 May 2019 11:22:56 -0400
> Tony Lane <codeguro@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Isn't it obvious?
>
> I don't think so! Users new to privacy related
> services may think when visiting the ProtonMail
> site that they are anonymous, when seeing their
> main page:
>
> https://protonmail.com/

I suppose like anything else it all comes down to whether you believe
them or not. I do.

Here is ProtonMail's explanation of what they do with the personally
identifiable information collected during registration:

"If you are presented with Email or SMS verification, we only save a
cryptographic hash of your email or phone number which is not
permanently associated with the account that you create. Because hash
functions are one way functions, it is impossible to derive your phone
number or email from that hash. However, using the same phone number
will result in obtaining the same cryptographic hash, so by comparing
hashes, we can detect re-use of phone number or email addresses for
human verification."

The reasons behind ProtonMail signup procedures are more fully expained
at https://protonmail.com/support/knowledge-base/human-verification/

HTH,

Jeff
Re: ProtonMail and Anonymity [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 2019-05-05 at 14:32 -0400, Jeff Allen wrote:
> On 5/5/19 1:36 PM, Stefan Claas wrote:
> > On Sun, 5 May 2019 11:22:56 -0400
> > Tony Lane <codeguro@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Isn't it obvious?
> >
> > I don't think so! Users new to privacy related
> > services may think when visiting the ProtonMail
> > site that they are anonymous, when seeing their
> > main page:
> >
> > https://protonmail.com/
> >

> I suppose like anything else it all comes down to whether you believe
> them or not. I do.
>
> Here is ProtonMail's explanation of what they do with the personally
> identifiable information collected during registration:
>
> "If you are presented with Email or SMS verification, we only save a
> cryptographic hash of your email or phone number which is not
> permanently associated with the account that you create. Because hash
> functions are one way functions, it is impossible to derive your phone
> number or email from that hash. However, using the same phone number
> will result in obtaining the same cryptographic hash, so by comparing
> hashes, we can detect re-use of phone number or email addresses for
> human verification."

Don't you think that brute-forcing a hash of a phone number would be
trivial?

--
Best regards,
Micha? Górny

Re: ProtonMail and Anonymity [ In reply to ]
On 05/05/2019 03:12 AM, Stefan Claas wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> appologies for posting this, but I think it could
> be of interest for GnuPG users, because ProtoMail
> uses the OpenPGP protocol too.
>
> Some of you may have signed up with ProtonMail and
> enjoy the service, due to it's ease of use and they
> think they are anonymous, when using this service.
>
> At least ProtonMail says so on their main page.
>
> I have a different understanding of what anonymous
> email is, because not only PGP usage but also the
> use of anonymous email services is a hobby of mine
> which I use since the mid 90's.
>
> O.k. lets get started with a little test (I did a
> while ago):
>
> Fire up Tor browser and register at the ProtonMail
> site for a free email account and use as a user
> name a string from random.org.
>
> https://www.random.org/strings/
>
> When ProtonMail ask you for verification (...????)
> of your email account select SMS and use as
> SMS service a free one like:

Well of course that's not anonymous!

So what you do, if you want ~anonymity, is to use their Tor onion site.
That doesn't ask for anything beyond an email address.

<SNIP>

Re: ProtonMail and Anonymity [ In reply to ]
Am Sun, 5 May 2019 17:16:12 -0700
schrieb Mirimir <mirimir@riseup.net>:

> Well of course that's not anonymous!
>
> So what you do, if you want ~anonymity, is to use their Tor onion
> site. That doesn't ask for anything beyond an email address.

Assuming that this is their real .onion address, I just tried that.

https://protonirockerxow.onion/login and got this:

Are you human?

To fight spam, please verify you are human.

Your email or phone number will not be linked to the account created.
It is only used during the signup process. A hash will be saved to
prevent abuse of the ProtonMail systems. (Why is this required?)

SMS
Donate

Now my question for privacy experts ... Would you give away your
mobile phone number when using Tor ???

Regards
Stefan

Re: ProtonMail and Anonymity [ In reply to ]
On 05/05/2019 09:52 PM, Stefan Claas wrote:
> Am Sun, 5 May 2019 17:16:12 -0700
> schrieb Mirimir <mirimir@riseup.net>:
>
>> Well of course that's not anonymous!
>>
>> So what you do, if you want ~anonymity, is to use their Tor onion
>> site. That doesn't ask for anything beyond an email address.
>

> Assuming that this is their real .onion address, I just tried that.
>
> https://protonirockerxow.onion/login and got this:
>
> Are you human?
>
> To fight spam, please verify you are human.
>
> Your email or phone number will not be linked to the account created.
> It is only used during the signup process. A hash will be saved to
> prevent abuse of the ProtonMail systems. (Why is this required?)
>
> SMS
> Donate

Huh. I've created a few ProtonMail accounts using their onion, and don't
recall ever being asked for a mobile number. Most recently, a few weeks
ago. But maybe this is a recent change. ProtonMail has become quite the
go-to place for trolls and worse, so maybe they've gotten too many
complaints.

Try CockMail's onion, perhaps ;)

> Now my question for privacy experts ... Would you give away your
> mobile phone number when using Tor ???

Of course not. But you can lease a SIM from https://speedyverify.com/,
and pay in mixed Bitcoin, all via Tor. They use real SIMs, hosted in the
Philippines.

Re: ProtonMail and Anonymity [ In reply to ]
Am Sun, 5 May 2019 14:32:20 -0400
schrieb Jeff Allen <jrallen@runbox.com>:

> On 5/5/19 1:36 PM, Stefan Claas wrote:
> > On Sun, 5 May 2019 11:22:56 -0400
> > Tony Lane <codeguro@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Isn't it obvious?
> >
> > I don't think so! Users new to privacy related
> > services may think when visiting the ProtonMail
> > site that they are anonymous, when seeing their
> > main page:
> >
> > https://protonmail.com/
> >

> I suppose like anything else it all comes down to whether you believe
> them or not. I do.

[snip]

Well, I just asked myself ...

What is the purpose behind an unlinked hash.

A spammer using their system, without a hash function
could send successfully spam to other users, because
ProtonMail is not blacklisted. When that happens a
user receiving this spam can report that, so that
actions can be taken. This of course requires then
a bit of work, at the ProtonMail site, to remove
the spammers account.

Why do they use unlinked hashes? If I could sign up
anonymously the hash could also be linked to my account
and even if thousands of people have the same hash they
could remove the spammers account.

Should an unlinked hash protect users from a powerful
adversary? O.k. people can now laugh at me, because
I am no programmer nor cryptographer or math-geek. My
assumption is that a powerful adversary has a list of
all global mobile phone numbers, computes quickle the
hashes for them and saves them also in a database.

How long does it take to find in a database the correct
hash for a given number ...

Regards
Stefan

Re: ProtonMail and Anonymity [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 05 May 2019 22:20:58 +0200
Micha? Górny <mgorny@gentoo.org> wrote:

> On Sun, 2019-05-05 at 14:32 -0400, Jeff Allen wrote:
> Don't you think that brute-forcing a hash of a phone number would be
> trivial?
>
> --
> Best regards,
> Micha? Górny

Yes, of course it would be. But then, why would they even bother to
hash it?

This entire conversation is...interesting. If ProtonMail was
interested in selling our data then they chose a very small usergroup
to target, and honestly, that usergroup is too small to prove any real
value of any kind. And they claim they use end to end encryption, so
selling our data would be limited to phone numbers and email
addresses, data which is readily available elsewhere. (given that you
trust their end to end encryption claim)

I'm not a PM user but have been, and I liked their service due to
usability, being able to use sieve filtering and so forth. Had I been
truly paranoid I'd use something else.

--
Oscar

Re: ProtonMail and Anonymity [ In reply to ]
El día lunes, mayo 06, 2019 a las 07:15:06a. m. +0200, Stefan Claas escribió:

> > > https://protonmail.com/
> > >

> > I suppose like anything else it all comes down to whether you believe
> > them or not. I do.
>
> [snip]
>
> Well, I just asked myself ...
>
> What is the purpose behind an unlinked hash.

Well, I'm asking myself: What has all this thread to do with GnuPG?

matthias

--
Matthias Apitz, ? guru@unixarea.de, http://www.unixarea.de/ +49-176-38902045
May, 9: ???????? ????????????! Thank you very much, Russian liberators!
Re: ProtonMail and Anonymity [ In reply to ]
Am Sun, 5 May 2019 22:07:57 -0700
schrieb Mirimir <mirimir@riseup.net>:

> Of course not. But you can lease a SIM from https://speedyverify.com/,
> and pay in mixed Bitcoin, all via Tor. They use real SIMs, hosted in
> the Philippines.

Thanks a lot for this valuable privacy tip, much appreciated!

Regards
Stefan

Re: ProtonMail and Anonymity [ In reply to ]
Hello Stephan,

Something completely different.

What is that link with the binary data in your OP?

I did not click it because I don't know what binary data I'd be handing
to that site. But I see this text on the front page of that site:

> You can also earn FREE TELE TOKENS from our bounty or airdrop programs
> or our referral bonus

I get the ugly feeling this is a referral link. That every time someone
clicks that link of yours, or perhaps only after they use some
functionality there, you get a "referral bonus".

If this is a referral link, I would consider that *extremely* bad form
of you. Made all the worse by you not explaining immediately that it
/is/ a referral link.

Could you please explain what the purpose of the data is? (Even with a
good explanation, I'd consider it basic hygiene to never click such
links, since the explanation cannot be verified).

Peter.

Re: ProtonMail and Anonymity [ In reply to ]
On Mon, May 6, 2019 at 1:08 AM Mirimir <mirimir@riseup.net> wrote:

> On 05/05/2019 09:52 PM, Stefan Claas wrote:
> > Am Sun, 5 May 2019 17:16:12 -0700
> > schrieb Mirimir <mirimir@riseup.net>:
> >
> >> Well of course that's not anonymous!
> >>
> >> So what you do, if you want ~anonymity, is to use their Tor onion
> >> site. That doesn't ask for anything beyond an email address.
> >

> > Assuming that this is their real .onion address, I just tried that.
> >
> > https://protonirockerxow.onion/login and got this:
> >
> > Are you human?
> >
> > To fight spam, please verify you are human.
> >
> > Your email or phone number will not be linked to the account created.
> > It is only used during the signup process. A hash will be saved to
> > prevent abuse of the ProtonMail systems. (Why is this required?)
> >
> > SMS
> > Donate
>
> Huh. I've created a few ProtonMail accounts using their onion, and don't
> recall ever being asked for a mobile number. Most recently, a few weeks
> ago. But maybe this is a recent change. ProtonMail has become quite the
> go-to place for trolls and worse, so maybe they've gotten too many
> complaints.
>
> Try CockMail's onion, perhaps ;)
>
> > Now my question for privacy experts ... Would you give away your
> > mobile phone number when using Tor ???
>
> Of course not. But you can lease a SIM from https://speedyverify.com/,
> and pay in mixed Bitcoin, all via Tor. They use real SIMs, hosted in the
> Philippines.

Another option is to buy a burner phone and SIM paying cash.
I've seen both available in stores and supermarkets and street stands
in at least 3 countries.

Re: ProtonMail and Anonymity [ In reply to ]
[I am resending from my list-subscribed email address.]

On 06/05/2019 11:17, Mauricio Tavares wrote:

> Another option is to buy a burner phone and SIM paying cash.
> I've seen both available in stores and supermarkets and street stands
> in at least 3 countries.

In which countries is this allowed? In other words, is there a list
oublished online?

In Australia, where I am originally from, you can't do this. But this
is hardly surprising because Australia is not a privacy-respecting nation.

Andrew
--
OpenPGP key: EB28 0338 28B7 19DA DAB0 B193 D21D 996E 883B E5B9

Re: ProtonMail and Anonymity [ In reply to ]
On 06/05/2019 12:21, Andrew Luke Nesbit wrote:
> [I am resending from my list-subscribed email address.]
>
> On 06/05/2019 11:17, Mauricio Tavares wrote:
>
>> Another option is to buy a burner phone and SIM paying cash.
>> I've seen both available in stores and supermarkets and street stands
>> in at least 3 countries.
> In which countries is this allowed? In other words, is there a list
> oublished online?

Don't know about a list of countries but this is certainly possible in
the UK (for now, at least, until the government freaks out about it).
SIMs are widely available for purchase with no identity requirements and
can very often be topped up anonymously for cash via newsagents. As for
phones, it's been a while since I bought a new phone (although I suspect
that it is still possible to buy them new for cash) but of course second
hand ones are also widely available.

--
Mark Rousell
Re: ProtonMail and Anonymity [ In reply to ]
On 06/05/2019 10:19, Peter Lebbing wrote:
> Hello Stephan,
>
> Something completely different.
>
> What is that link with the binary data in your OP?
>
> I did not click it because I don't know what binary data I'd be handing
> to that site. But I see this text on the front page of that site:

I thought that too but it's easy enough to remove the code before going
to the site.

Assuming it is an affiliate tracking link then, to be fair, if you
haven't seen the site before and it's useful to you then it's only
reasonable to help reward the person who introduced you to it. (Although
it would have been nicer for it to be declared openly as an affiliate link).

--
Mark Rousell

PGP public key: http://www.signal100.com/markr/pgp
Key ID: C9C5C162
Re: ProtonMail and Anonymity [ In reply to ]
On 5/5/19 4:20 PM, Micha? Górny wrote:

> Don't you think that brute-forcing a hash of a phone number would be
> trivial?

It would be more trivial not to hash the number and say you did.
ProtonMail claims they hash the number and store it unlinked to your
account. Their stated objective is to prevent the same phone number or
email address from being used to sign up for numerous accounts. As I
said, I believe them. You apparently do not.

People who don't trust ProtonMail shouldn't use it. Why believe them
about end-to-end encryption if you can't trust them? That would seem to
me to be a bigger concern than how they handle your number or email address.

Jeff

Re: ProtonMail and Anonymity [ In reply to ]
On 07:21, Mon, May 6, 2019 Andrew Luke Nesbit <ullbeking@andrewnesbit.org
wrote:

> [I am resending from my list-subscribed email address.]
>
> On 06/05/2019 11:17, Mauricio Tavares wrote:
>
> > Another option is to buy a burner phone and SIM paying cash.
> > I've seen both available in stores and supermarkets and street stands
> > in at least 3 countries.
>
> In which countries is this allowed? In other words, is there a list
> oublished online?

Personal experience US and Switzerland. I was told Canada, Vietnam,
and many African countries. Don't know of a list though.

Re: ProtonMail and Anonymity [ In reply to ]
On 06/05/2019 14:53, Jeff Allen wrote:
> It would be more trivial not to hash the number and say you did.

I think it's a worthwhile thing to point out that they state "because
hash functions are one-way functions, it is impossible to derive your
phone number [...]" without reservations, but that this is a false sense
of security. It is a very limited part of the complete picture, which is
that a Dutch mobile phone number has only 8 varying digits, meaning an
entropy of less than 27 bits, cryptographically laughable. And that an
adversary might not even be interested in reversing the hash at all, but
just to verify that the phone number of their target has been used to
set up a ProtonMail account.

With passphrase hashing, the passphrase should be secret. There's
nothing secret about a phone number or e-mail address. That completely
changes the picture.

For me, it's not so much that I question their methods, it's that I
question their claims. Blanketly stating "it is impossible to derive
your phone number" sounds like security theater to me, and they should
be aware of that if they are the least bit competent. That doesn't sit
well.

I don't expect most of their clients to see through this theater. It is
their job to be open and honest about the consequences of their methods,
so their clients can make an informed choice whether they will go
through with it or not.

My 2 cents,

Peter.

Re: ProtonMail and Anonymity [ In reply to ]
Am Mon, 6 May 2019 07:26:50 +0200
schrieb Matthias Apitz <guru@unixarea.de>:

> Well, I'm asking myself: What has all this thread to do with GnuPG?

I think it is a good idea to post GnuPG related things here
on the ML when it comes also to things or services etc.
using the Openpgp protocol, so that users are aware of how those
services handle privacy,security and anonymity related things
in combination with GnuPG usage. I think it does not hurt and
if someone does not like such content he / she can simply skip
it.

And should'nt the older PGP geeks not post such stuff to educate
the younger generation, whishing to learn such privacy related

Re: ProtonMail and Anonymity [ In reply to ]
Am Mon, 6 May 2019 08:53:14 -0400
schrieb Jeff Allen <jrallen@runbox.com>:

> People who don't trust ProtonMail shouldn't use it.

Absolutely! But I think it does not hurt to post
such things to educate PGP users how different
services or software applications etc. handle such
privacy related things, especially when using the
word anonymous.

I am not sure if you ever used an anonymous email
service, but I think, if, you would agree with me
that ProtonMail's procedure is not anonymous like
real anonymous email services are and therefore they
should IMHO not advertise Anonymity as a feature.

Regards
Stefan

Re: ProtonMail and Anonymity [ In reply to ]
Am Mon, 6 May 2019 06:17:42 -0400
schrieb Mauricio Tavares <raubvogel@gmail.com>:

> Another option is to buy a burner phone and SIM paying cash.
> I've seen both available in stores and supermarkets and street stands
> in at least 3 countries.

While I am not using regular proxy servers, I figured out this morning
that when signing up there without Tor usage they allow captchas and
email as verification option.

So when using mailcatch.com, for example, you can then sign-up, because
they send the verification code to mailcatch.com and accept
mailcatch.com as registration email address ...

Maybe I should set-up squid on a VPS and let people register from there,
while keeping no log files. :-D

Regards
Stefan

Re: ProtonMail and Anonymity [ In reply to ]
On 06/05/2019 15:39, Stefan Claas wrote:
> Maybe I should set-up squid on a VPS and let people register from there,
> while keeping no log files. :-D

Check your local laws first. I am pretty sure that doing that
(specifically the no logs bit) in the UK would now be a criminal
offence. ;-) This is the same as many other EU countries due to one of
the EU's data retention regulations whose name I've now forgotten.

Re: ProtonMail and Anonymity [ In reply to ]
On Mon, May 6, 2019 at 11:17 AM Mark Rousell <markr@signal100.com> wrote:

> On 06/05/2019 15:39, Stefan Claas wrote:
>
> Maybe I should set-up squid on a VPS and let people register from there,
> while keeping no log files. :-D
>

> Check your local laws first. I am pretty sure that doing that (specifically the no logs bit) in the UK would now be a criminal offence. ;-) This is the same as many other EU countries due to one of the EU's data retention regulations whose name I've now forgotten.

Going maybe on a tangent, how would those data retention
regulations play with GDPR?

Re: ProtonMail and Anonymity [ In reply to ]
Am Mon, 6 May 2019 16:17:01 +0100
schrieb Mark Rousell <markr@signal100.com>:

> On 06/05/2019 15:39, Stefan Claas wrote:
> > Maybe I should set-up squid on a VPS and let people register from
> > there, while keeping no log files. :-D
>
> Check your local laws first. I am pretty sure that doing that
> (specifically the no logs bit) in the UK would now be a criminal
> offence. ;-) This is the same as many other EU countries due to one of
> the EU's data retention regulations whose name I've now forgotten.

Thanks for pointing that out! O.k. I do not want to get to off-topic
here but it interests me what would happen if I use a US based server
and a US domain with whois guard? Would ProtonMail really hunt down
a proxy server operator, or let's say other email providers, when
doing such a thing, or would they simply block access from that
domain? I mean it is not a crime to run a proxy server.

Regards
Stefan

Re: ProtonMail and Anonymity [ In reply to ]
Am Mon, 6 May 2019 06:52:10 +0200
schrieb Stefan Claas <sac@300baud.de>:

> Am Sun, 5 May 2019 17:16:12 -0700
> schrieb Mirimir <mirimir@riseup.net>:
>
> > Well of course that's not anonymous!
> >
> > So what you do, if you want ~anonymity, is to use their Tor onion
> > site. That doesn't ask for anything beyond an email address.
>

> Assuming that this is their real .onion address, I just tried that.
>
> https://protonirockerxow.onion/login and got this:
>
> Are you human?
>
> To fight spam, please verify you are human.
>
> Your email or phone number will not be linked to the account created.
> It is only used during the signup process. A hash will be saved to
> prevent abuse of the ProtonMail systems. (Why is this required?)
>
> SMS
> Donate
>
> Now my question for privacy experts ... Would you give away your
> mobile phone number when using Tor ???

In case someone from the ProtonMail team is reading this thread ...

When using Tor for sign-up and using the donate* button I would
suggest support for the crypto currency Monero, so that users
stay anonymous.

*I have learned a while ago that privacy may cost also a bit
of money, even when using Open Source software only.

Regards
Stefan

Re: ProtonMail and Anonymity [ In reply to ]
On 06/05/2019 16:27, Mauricio Tavares wrote:
> On Mon, May 6, 2019 at 11:17 AM Mark Rousell <markr@signal100.com> wrote:
>> Check your local laws first. I am pretty sure that doing that (specifically the no logs bit) in the UK would now be a criminal offence. ;-) This is the same as many other EU countries due to one of the EU's data retention regulations whose name I've now forgotten.
>>
> Going maybe on a tangent, how would those data retention
> regulations play with GDPR?

It would not be a problem for GDPR. GDPR certainly doesn't prohibit all
data retention or usage. If data/metadata/log retention is legally
mandated then this will be allowed for in GDPR.

Re: ProtonMail and Anonymity [ In reply to ]
On 06/05/2019 16:39, Stefan Claas wrote:
> Maybe I should set-up squid on a VPS and let people register from there,
> while keeping no log files. :-D

The only purpose of that would be to specifically subvert the intentions
and processes of ProtonMail. They have designed a system which chooses
policy based on the source IP (including a different policy for Tor exit
nodes), and you try to subvert this policy selection, and possibly give
a route for spammers to register on the system.

If you don't like their policies, don't use them. Don't try to work
around the policies they impose on the use of their service. You don't
have a right to the use of their services under your conditions.

Peter.

Re: ProtonMail and Anonymity [ In reply to ]
On 06/05/2019 17:07, Stefan Claas wrote:
> Thanks for pointing that out! O.k. I do not want to get to off-topic
> here but it interests me what would happen if I use a US based server
> and a US domain with whois guard? Would ProtonMail really hunt down
> a proxy server operator, or let's say other email providers, when
> doing such a thing, or would they simply block access from that
> domain? I mean it is not a crime to run a proxy server.

(a) It's not a crime to run a proxy in the UK or EU[1]. It's just that
there are metadata logging and log-retention requirements if you do so.
(Once again, I apologise because I've lost my notes on all the EU and UK
legislation that may require this. It's findable on DuckDuckGo or the
search engine of your choice of course).

(b) ProtonMail isn't going to hunt down anyone (unless, maybe, they are
forced to by their local law enforcement). They aren't the police and
they're not even based in the EU, so they don't care.

(c) I do not know how the relevant legislation would work if you are a
UK or EU resident but set up your proxy service on hardware based in the
USA or another jurisdiction that does not enforce logging. A careful
reading of the legislation that is relevant to your local jurisdiction
might inform you.

Footnote:-
1: Although I fear that the UK is heading in this direction. That it,
not to outright criminalise proxies or VPNs but to 'regulate', control
and license their use. The cassus belli for this will, I suspect, be
probably very widespread evasion of the forthcoming 'porn block' using
proxies and VPNs.

Re: ProtonMail and Anonymity [ In reply to ]
Am Mon, 6 May 2019 18:55:50 +0100
schrieb Mark Rousell <markr@signal100.com>:

> (a) It's not a crime to run a proxy in the UK or EU[1]. It's just that
> there are metadata logging and log-retention requirements if you do
> so. (Once again, I apologise because I've lost my notes on all the EU
> and UK legislation that may require this. It's findable on DuckDuckGo
> or the search engine of your choice of course).

Thanks for pointing that out! I will do more research on this topic.

> (b) ProtonMail isn't going to hunt down anyone (unless, maybe, they
> are forced to by their local law enforcement). They aren't the police
> and they're not even based in the EU, so they don't care.

That is was I am thinking as well, but it does not hurt to ask.

> (c) I do not know how the relevant legislation would work if you are a
> UK or EU resident but set up your proxy service on hardware based in
> the USA or another jurisdiction that does not enforce logging. A
> careful reading of the legislation that is relevant to your local
> jurisdiction might inform you.

I will check that out, because I am currently doing a project
which is similar and it is better to be properly informed than
instead later falling on my nose.

Thanks again for your valuable input, much appreciated!

Regards
Stefan

Re: ProtonMail and Anonymity [ In reply to ]

Re: ProtonMail and Anonymity [ In reply to ]
Am Wed, 8 May 2019 00:19:26 +0100
schrieb MFPA <2017-r3sgs86x8e-lists-groups@riseup.net>:

> The “fbclid” parameter looks like a Facebook click identifier. It's a
> tracking ploy added to external URLs from the Facebook site, similar
> to Google's “gclid”.

That's correct, the fbclid parameter is from Facebook. I was careless
and copy / pasted the link from my PGP forum article. I already
appologized to Peter, but forgot to reply here as well.

Regards
Stefan

Re: ProtonMail and Anonymity [ In reply to ]
> On 6 May 2019, at 16:15, Stefan Claas <sac@300baud.de <mailto:sac@300baud.de>> wrote:
>
> ProtonMail's procedure is not anonymous like
> real anonymous email services

What are some such “real” anonymous email services?
Re: ProtonMail and Anonymity [ In reply to ]
Protonmail is anonymous† if used correctly and if you trust them.  Any user worried about text messages being tied to them could use cash at a place far from where they live with no cameras to buy a burner phone for a one time text message code if they are really that paranoid.

If Protonmail didn't do some sort of vetting of accounts then it'd literally be infeasible to use because it would be RBL'd to hell and back due to being overrun with spammers.

†Against typical adversaries.  If you are trying to hide from a powerful nation state willing to expend significant resources to look into you and you are not yourself supported and trained by a nation state's intelligence services, well, good luck with that.

-Ryan McGinnis
PGP: 486ED7AD
Sent with ProtonMail