Hello all,

I have got GPG installed and it seems to work fine but what i can't
work out is how to get my email client to work with it e.g. encrypt
the msg and import the public key. what clients do you all use and
which is the best for the job

Thanks in advance

Best regards,
Chris
Re: Unidentified subject! [ In reply to ]
El lun, 04 de oct de 1999, a las 01:33:57 +0100, Chris dijo:
> Hello all,
>
> I have got GPG installed and it seems to work fine but what i can't
> work out is how to get my email client to work with it e.g. encrypt
> the msg and import the public key. what clients do you all use and
> which is the best for the job

The MUA which best works with GnuPG, IMHO, is Mutt (see www.mutt.org).
If you decided to use "mutt", you would need to configure a couple of
things which would allow you to integrate GnuPG "at its best".

There are many others which also work fine, like Pine. There are a few
links in www.gnupg.org/download.html to software including interfaces,
and a few MUAs such as Mutt, Pine, Exmh, XFmail, ...

BTW, what mailer is the one you're using?

???

HTH,

--
Horacio
homega@ciberia.es
Re: Unidentified subject! [ In reply to ]
J Horacio MG <homega@ciberia.es> writes:

> BTW, what mailer is the one you're using?

Someone from NAI mentioned this thing as a MUA with full PGP support.
Probaply it is a MS-Windows app.

--
Werner Koch at guug.de www.gnupg.org keyid 621CC013
Re: Unidentified subject! [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Oct 04, 1999 at 01:33:57PM +0100, Chris wrote:
> I have got GPG installed and it seems to work fine but what i can't
> work out is how to get my email client to work with it e.g. encrypt
> the msg and import the public key. what clients do you all use and
> which is the best for the job

No MUA-battle, please, but mutt seems to be perfect when being used with
GnuPG. The program is written by Michael Elkins, a coauthor of RFC2440,
which describes the OpenPGP-standard, and thus mutt's OpenPGP-support
rules and, despite of this, is unique.

Other people like to use pine and pgp4pine, and there are a hell lot of
people who like this. The good thing - or, for the mutt user, the bad
thing - about this is that it doesn't use OpenPGP's MIME-types, and thus
you have no problems with reading the messages with any MUA (Outlook for
example has problems with OpenPGP).

There are more MUAs with PGP-support, as XFMail, which is easy to use,
and Emacs, which is, ..., I don't comment on this :) But pine and mutt
seem to be widespread, and I prefer mutt.

Maybe you look at the "X-Mailer:"-headers in this list, in my archive,
mutt is the leading MUA, followed by ELM, Emacs, XFMail and XCmail.
Wondering why pine is not in the list...

Regards,

Karsten
Re: Unidentified subject! [ In reply to ]
Am Mon, Oct 04, 1999 at 06:14:01PM +0200 schrieb Werner Koch:
> J Horacio MG <homega@ciberia.es> writes:
>
> > BTW, what mailer is the one you're using?

> Someone from NAI mentioned this thing as a MUA with full PGP support.
> Probaply it is a MS-Windows app.

Well: http://www.ritlabs.com/the_bat/index.html
it is a win32-app...

greetings from Crailsheim, Germany
Ronald

--
Ronald Höllwarth Registrierter Linux User #132865
<hoellwarth@yahoo.com> GPG - SchluesselID 0x2F7A041A
Re: Unidentified subject! [ In reply to ]
Re: Unidentified subject! [ In reply to ]
El lun, 04 de oct de 1999, a las 06:39:43 +0200, Karsten Patzwaldt dijo:

> Other people like to use pine and pgp4pine, and there are a hell lot of
> people who like this. The good thing - or, for the mutt user, the bad
> thing - about this is that it doesn't use OpenPGP's MIME-types, and thus
> you have no problems with reading the messages with any MUA (Outlook for
> example has problems with OpenPGP).

Well, this thread is starting to need a redirection to a MUAs mailing
list, but since we are here:

While Pine (and others) does not use PGP/MIME standards either for signing
or encrypting, Mutt can perfectly deal with application/pgp both ways:
receiving and sending ... though you'll need a bit of help (procmail)
for receiving pgp/application signed mail.

> Maybe you look at the "X-Mailer:"-headers in this list, in my archive,
> mutt is the leading MUA, followed by ELM, Emacs, XFMail and XCmail.
> Wondering why pine is not in the list...

Not sure, but may be the fact that Pine don't usually put a header
announcing itself...

Horacio
homega@ciberia.es
Valencia - ESPAÑA
Re: Unidentified subject! [ In reply to ]
Frank Tobin <ftobin@uiuc.edu> writes:

> Abraham vd Merwe, at 22:45 -0000 on Tue, 18 Apr 2000, wrote:
>
> > Is it legal to import/export gpg to the USA?
>
> As far as I know, there are no problems for cryptographic software
> arriving in the US, only the other way around (and is changing, too, for
> the better).
>
> > If so, what about commercial entities?
>
> I don't see why this would have any bearing on anything. GnuPG is
> released under the GPL, which means it can be used for commercial and
> non-commercial purposes.

As long as the terms of the license are adhered to.

Gambling: A discretionary tax on | Anthony David
those who were asleep during high | Systems Administrator
school mathematics classes |
Re: Unidentified subject! [ In reply to ]
Hi!

> > Is it legal to import/export gpg to the USA?
>
> As far as I know, there are no problems for cryptographic software
> arriving in the US, only the other way around (and is changing, too, for
> the better).

Well, the other thing I've been wondering about is, why is it legal to
export signed messages in the US - Isn't that a violation as well?

Regards
Abraham
Re: Unidentified subject! [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Apr 19, 2000 at 03:04:35AM -0700, L. Sassaman wrote:
> > Well, the other thing I've been wondering about is, why is it legal to
> > export signed messages in the US - Isn't that a violation as well?
> No. That would make no sense at all. it has always been legal to
> "export" signed or encrypted messages.

You say that like encryption related laws are usually sensible.
Re: Unidentified subject! [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Apr 19, 2000 at 03:12:54AM -0700, L. Sassaman wrote:
> > You say that like encryption related laws are usually sensible.
> Laugh. True enough. But you can sort of stretch your mind to somewhat
> understand the idea that allowing crypto programs to be exported would be
> prohibited. But having a signed message doesn't give the individual any
> benefit if he doesn't have the technology already.

The bit that's always puzzled me is that exports of descriptions
of how to do crypto are permitted, but the actual crypto isn't. It
gives the impression that the US thinks the rest of the world is
incapable of ever writing a line of code.
Re: Unidentified subject! [ In reply to ]
Hi!

What characters is allowed in a GnuPG signature? What I actually want to
know is if I can import a public key into a SQL database as tinytext or a
blob without escaping some characters.

Regards
Abraham

PS: Remember to cc me, I'm not subscribed to the list
Re: Unidentified subject! [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 19 Apr 2000 11:14:35 +0100, Michael Stevens wrote:

>gives the impression that the US thinks the rest of the world is
>incapable of ever writing a line of code.

Lots of "official" US policy gives the impression that the US thinks
the rest of the world isn't able to write a simple sentence, or tie
its shoes, or wipe its nose... :-)

--
Trevor Smith | trevor@haligonian.com
PGP public key available at: www.haligonian.com/trevor

PGP Public Key Fingerprint= A68C C4EC C163 5C0A 6CFA 671F 05D4 0B30 318B AFD6