" I craved factual certainty, and I thirsted for a meaningful
" vision of human life -- so I became a scientist. This is
" like becoming an archbishop so you can meet girls.
Re: Fetching keys from key servers? [ In reply to ]
Matti Airas <mairas@iki.fi> writes:

> Are there any plans to make gnupg support fetching keys from key
> servers using user ID as the search criteria? The current method of
> supporting key ID's only is not too useful, since for the trouble of
> looking for the key ID is as big as fetching the keys manually.

Yes, sure. The current solution is just there to play with the HKS
protokoll ;-). We won't to move the network code out of gpg and
create an extra tool (like urlview from Mutt) to communicate with
keyservers.

I might hack 1.0 later to support this but the real thing will be done
during the 1.1 development.

--
Werner Koch at guug.de www.gnupg.org keyid 621CC013
Re: Fetching keys from key servers? [ In reply to ]
Hmmm...auto-fetching by key ID works just fine for me, with pine and
pgp4pine. The only trouble I have is with the large number of people
whose keys use unfree encryption types. :-(

(That and being a newbie who hasn't actually made himself a node in the
web-of-trust yet, so valid keys are still unverifiable. How does one find
already-trusted people with whom to exchange signatures, aside from just
asking all of one's acquaintances "are you one too?" :-) Every
key-signing party I ever heard about seems to be in another state and
likely composed entirely of people I've never met.)

--
Mark H. Wood, Lead System Programmer mwood@IUPUI.Edu
A Brazil-nut is neatly packaged and tightly integrated. To turn it into