Mailing List Archive

FYI: AES patch
Gent's

Now the NIST has selected the Rijndael algorithm as a successor for DES
I've created a smal patch for gpg. (Just for fun)

I've used the 'official' Optimised ANSI C v2.4 implementation of
Rijndael and Joan Daemen. See for details:
http://www.esat.kuleuven.ac.be/~rijmen/rijndael

installation:

gzip -dc gnupg-1.0.3.tar.gz tar xf -
gzip -dc gnupg-1.0.3.aes.patch.tar.gz | tar xf -
cd gnupg-1.0.3
rm cipher/Makefile.in
automake ./cipher/Makefile
./configure
make

If all went OK you should see something like:

gpg --version
gpg (GnuPG) 1.0.3
This program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
under certain conditions. See the file COPYING for details.

Home: ~/.gnupg
Supported algorithms:
Cipher: 3DES, CAST5, BLOWFISH, TWOFISH, AES128, AES192, AES256
Pubkey: RSA, RSA-E, RSA-S, ELG-E, DSA, ELG

If you've any comments please use a CC, as I'm not subscribed to this
newsgroup.

Regards,

Henk Vergonet

<<gnupg-1.0.3.aes.patch.tar.gz>>
Re: FYI: AES patch [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 9 Oct 2000, Vergonet, Henk wrote:

> Now the NIST has selected the Rijndael algorithm as a successor for DES
> I've created a smal patch for gpg. (Just for fun)

It is alreay available since Oct 3rd:

ftp://ftp.guug.de/gcrypt/devel/rijndael.c.gz

It is a module:

$ eval `grep gcc rijndael.c` && cp rijndael /usr/local/lib/gnupg/
$ echo "load-extension rijndael" >>~/.gnupg/options

I did anounce it only on the developers ML so that we can test it
first against other implementations. It seesm to works, but please
wait a few days before you start to use it.

Anyway, it is only useful for symmetric-only encryption becuase
there are yet no Rijndael preferences.

Werner

--
Werner Koch GnuPG key: 621CC013
OpenIT GmbH http://www.OpenIT.de

Re: FYI: AES patch [ In reply to ]
Werner Koch wrote:

> Anyway, it is only useful for symmetric-only encryption becuase
> there are yet no Rijndael preferences.

Won't explicit cipher-algo options work? Or are they overruled by the key
preferences?

BTW, is there a maximum number of algorithms that can be loaded as a module?
When I load rijndael, idea and skipjack I lose IDEA in gpg --version. When I
don't load skipjack I get idea back.

--
ir. J.C.A. Wevers // Physics and science fiction site:
johanw@vulcan.xs4all.nl // http://www.xs4all.nl/~johanw/index.html

Re: FYI: AES patch [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 9 Oct 2000, Johan Wevers wrote:

> Won't explicit cipher-algo options work? Or are they overruled by the key
> preferences?

--cipher-algo rijndael

does work and overrides the preferences.

> BTW, is there a maximum number of algorithms that can be loaded as a module?

Yes. Change the TABLE_SIZE somewhere at the top of cipher/pubkey.c

> When I load rijndael, idea and skipjack I lose IDEA in gpg --version. When I

[Still using NSA's Skipjack? Tssss...]

Ciao,

Werner

RE: FYI: AES patch [ In reply to ]
Preferences should be determined by:
- Algorithm security
- Patent restrictions
- Encription & decription speed

But I agree with Werner:
It's likely the NSA have already found a backdoor in the
algorithm, this is probably why the NIST has selected it ;).

Henk