Mailing List Archive

Decrypting conventionally encrypted pgp2 files?
I've installed GnuPG 1.0.3, and have installed the IDEA extension.

I've got a bunch of files that were "conventionally encrypted" using
PGP 2.6.2, which I assume means that the cipher is IDEA and the
passphrase was hashed with MD5.

I'm trying to get gpg to decrypt the files. No joy. My old pgp2 can
still do it, so I know I havnt forgotten the passphrase. I had
assumed that either just

gpg filename.pgp

or

gpg --s2k-digest-algo MD5 --cipher-algo idea filename.pgp

would do it, but they both fail with "gpg: decryption failed: bad key"

Any pointers?

--
Mark Atwood |
mra@pobox.com |

Re: Decrypting conventionally encrypted pgp2 files? [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Oct 02, 2000 at 11:59:19PM -0700, Mark Atwood wrote:

> I've installed GnuPG 1.0.3, and have installed the IDEA extension.

> I've got a bunch of files that were "conventionally encrypted" using
> PGP 2.6.2, which I assume means that the cipher is IDEA and the
> passphrase was hashed with MD5.

> I'm trying to get gpg to decrypt the files. No joy. My old pgp2 can
> still do it, so I know I havnt forgotten the passphrase. I had
> assumed that either just

> gpg filename.pgp

> or

> gpg --s2k-digest-algo MD5 --cipher-algo idea filename.pgp

> would do it, but they both fail with "gpg: decryption failed: bad key"

> Any pointers?

These are the options I picked up out of the archives somewhere
and they've been working like a charm:

--compress-algo 2
--cipher-algo IDEA
--digest-algo MD5
--s2k-cipher-algo IDEA
--s2k-digest-algo MD5
--rfc1991
--allow-non-selfsigned-uid

I routinely have to decrypt traffic from First-Teams, sometimes
once a week or so, sometimes several times a day, that is pgp-2.6.x
encrypted, conventional encryption. This was the incantation that made
it all work with gpg-1.0.3.

> --
> Mark Atwood |
> mra@pobox.com |