Mailing List Archive

clearsigning perl ?
It is good practice to provide a gpg signature for programs you've
released, right ?

I have a few small perl programs at http://www.chaosreigns.com/code/ that
are just a single .pl file... no need for a tarball. ..and perl is
plaintext, so I figured, why not include the signature in the .pl ?

The result: http://www.chaosreigns.com/code/apache2dot/apache2dot.sig.pl

What I did was:

* replace the 1st line (#!/usr/bin/perl) with "=cut"
* put "=head2" on the last line
* gpg --clearsign file.pl
* add the following 2 lines to the top:
#!/usr/bin/perl
=head1

It works. The program functions, and the signature verifies successfully.

Is there a better way to do this ? Should I sign all my single .pl
programs like this ?

I realize this leaves the lines at the beginning of the program, which
could be maliciously modified to do bad things, are not verified. I think
I would mention what they should look like on the last lines before the
signature, and provide a url to my public key.

I wish there was a way to clearsign a message without the "BEGIN PGP
SIGNED MESSAGE" stuff... (verification failed when I tried removing it)
-- like, just consider everything from the first line to be part of the
signed message.

My public key is at http://www.chaosreigns.com/darxus.asc

And somebody really needs to put directions on subscribing to these
lists on http://lists.gnupg.org.

--
http://www.ChaosReigns.com

Re: clearsigning perl ? [ In reply to ]
Darxus@ChaosReigns.com wrote:

> I realize this leaves the lines at the beginning of the program, which
> could be maliciously modified to do bad things, are not verified.

On the other hand, perl scripts have to be modified in this line often
anyway. On my system it /#!/bin/perl would be nicer, and I have often seen
/usr/local/bin/perl, which doesn't work at all since I don't have a symlink
there.

--
ir. J.C.A. Wevers // Physics and science fiction site:
johanw@vulcan.xs4all.nl // http://www.xs4all.nl/~johanw/index.html

Re: clearsigning perl ? [ In reply to ]