Mailing List Archive

decrypting pgp with gpg
Hi ev'ryone!

This might be a FAQ, but I haven't found a suitable answer yet.

My problem:
I want to exchange encrypted documents. I'm using gpg-1.0.2 for some
real unix and my partner on the other side of the tapped channel is
using pgp-6.5.1i.

We've exchanged public keys and he can decrypt the messages that i've
encrypted using his pubkey. But I cannot decrypt his mesgs

This is what gpg says:
You need a passphrase to unlock the secret key for
user: [some name]
1024-bit ELG-E key, ID 4200E2E2, created 2000-09-14 (main key ID 6D274C63)

gpg: cipher algorithm 1 is unknown or disabled
gpg: encrypted with 1024-bit ELG-E key, ID 4200E2E2, created 2000-09-14
[same name]
gpg: public key decryption failed: unknown cipher algorithm
gpg: decryption failed: secret key not available

i've created my key pair using the defaults.

is there anyone who has experienced something similar?
creating a new keypair is not really a problem since this key is not
distributed so far...

thnx
Ole Bents -- http://www.mips.biochem.mpg.de/~bents/

Re: decrypting pgp with gpg [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 15 Sep 2000, Ole Bents wrote:

> gpg: cipher algorithm 1 is unknown or disabled

This is IDEA and not supported by GnuPG. I guess that you created
your key using PGP which then includes IDEA in it's preferences.
The sender'ss implementaion then assumes, you are able to decrypt
IDEA and sends the message IDEA encrypted.

The best way to avaoid this is by changing the preferences of your
public key using either PGP (you can select them somewhere) or GnuPG:
Change the expiration date of your key and the default GnuPG
preferences will be written. (you may want to change the expiration
date back to the original value later).

gpg --edit your-key

the "expire"

Don't forget to send your updated public key to your communication
partner.

The other way is by using the idea module which is available at
ftp://ftp.guug.de/gcrypt/contrib/idea.c
The file contains instruction on how to compile and install it.
Using this module is not legal in most countries unless you have
a license to use IDEA.

Hth,

Werner

--