Mailing List Archive

Re: Groups
On Thu, 14 Sep 2000, sen_ml@eccosys.com wrote:

> > I was wondering if GnuPG had anything similar to the PGP Groups
> > functionality.

No. I once started to code an alias function for the
commandline/option parsing but due to time restriction I never
completed it. Yes, yes I know popt does have such a feature but
my commandline parsing is older.

Using an alias a group can be simulated quite easy by doing
something like:

alias mylist "-r foo -r bar -r BND"

> if such support is added, i don't suppose it would be possible to get
> gpg to generate a different message per recipient (read: each
> recipient gets a separate session key)...

It will be failry easy to implement by changing the way the
encryption function is called, i.e. you have to call it once for each
recipient. Of course it will only work if you don't use stdin for
the plaintext.

Apropos plaintext, I was wrong with my assumption that the PGP 2 way
of signing messages is not OpenPGP compatible. OpenPGP cleary
states that on-pass packets are optional and if you don't use them,
you have to use signature + signedd-data like PGP 2 does.
This does mean that I have either to use one-pass sig packets always
or do what I ever rejected to do and store the plain text in a temp.
file (or in memory and let the swap partition do the temp file job)
and emit the signature before the plaintext. Arggg.

All this are tasks for 1.1.

Werner

--
Werner Koch GnuPG key: 621CC013
OpenIT GmbH http://www.OpenIT.de

Re: Groups [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 14 Sep 2000, sen_ml@eccosys.com wrote:

> btw, it was Len who made the statement quoted above about PGP Groups
> functionality, not me ;-) (though i'm interested too!)

Yes, but I was too lazy to write 2 message - hmmm how there is a 2nd
message :-(

Werner

Re: Groups [ In reply to ]