Mailing List Archive

Windows IPC (was: Pb decrypting with PGP 6.5.3 and GnuPG)
On Thu, 31 Aug 2000, Mr Griffon wrote:

> Well in fact I had already started designing a neat Windows frontend for
> gnupg, with all the bells'n whitles (Win98 style toolbars, etc...). Then I

BTW, we are working on GPA and this runs also as a native Windows
program. However, there are quite a lot of things we have still to do
(http://www.gnupg.org/gpa.html) and we do not need legal papers for GPA.

> found out that the current version of GnuPG for Windows has absolutely NO
> way of getting the secret key password from another program. This means

I have not yet implemented it but for other reasons (see below) but it
should be fairly easy to do; You can do it the same way as in Unix:
use --passphrase-fd and specify the handle from a pipe you have
created (see W32's CreatePipe()). We are already using 2 pipes for
the output and the status stream (gpa/gpapa/gpapaintern.c). I am
currently reworking that part but the code is still there.

A better way to pass the passpharse to gpg is by using a special
program called gpg-agent which provides a cache for the passphrase and
can pop up a window to ask for a non-cached passphrase. GnuPG 1.1.1
has already implemented that adn I am currently looking for a good IPC
mechanism to be used uner Windows (we use Unix Domain Sockets in the
Unix version). As far as I have found out there are several possible
choices:

* Mailslots do provide a connectionless IPC which is not so nice and
afaik there seems to be a way to access them over the network which
is not good.

* Named Pipes are the most elegant solution to replace sockets but
they are accesiible of the network and I have not yet seen whether
there is a way to deny all connections from the network.

* Shared Memory is implemented using a mmap style thing and that
seems to be the only solution which is not accessible from outside.
However, the docs I have do say that anonymous shared memory (File
Mapping) is preferrable written to a swap file - something we don,t
want. Hmm, would need encryption after doing DH key exchange - not
so nice.

* Write a device driver to have non-swappable memory; however this
needs to cope with all the NT security things. This would be nice
anyway because we do not yet have non-swappable memory on Windows
yet.

It is essential that at least the transport of the passphrase from one
process to another is secured in some way. gpg itself does make sure
that the clear passphrase is only stored as long as needed. Passphrase
caching without non-swappable memory is a thing which should not be
done.

--
Werner Koch GnuPG key: 621CC013
OpenIT GmbH http://www.OpenIT.de

Re: Windows IPC (was: Pb decrypting with PGP 6.5.3 and GnuPG) [ In reply to ]
On Aug 31, Werner Koch <wk@gnupg.org> wrote:

>A better way to pass the passpharse to gpg is by using a special
>program called gpg-agent which provides a cache for the passphrase and
Can you try coordinating with OpenSSH developers to merge functionality
with ssh-agent? It would be cool to have only one daemon which remembers
passwords.

--
ciao,
Marco

Re: Windows IPC [ In reply to ]
Re: Windows IPC (was: Pb decrypting with PGP 6.5.3 and GnuPG) [ In reply to ]

Re: Windows IPC [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 31 Aug 2000, Frank Tobin wrote:

> Why do that when Secret Agent is available?
> http://www.vibe.at/tools/secret-agent/

Hey, great. I didn't know about it. I hope that I didn't overlooked
mails from Robert. He has even a secure entry widget which is
something I still considered to write.

I am going to contact him.

Werner

Re: Windows IPC (was: Pb decrypting with PGP 6.5.3 and GnuPG) [ In reply to ]
>BTW, we are working on GPA and this runs also as a native Windows
>program. However, there are quite a lot of things we have still to do
>(http://www.gnupg.org/gpa.html) and we do not need legal papers for GPA.

I've been following GPA from time to time, but it's not ready yet for prime
time and I'm not very good at C (and there's no binary snapshot either), so
I decided to code my own GUI in Delphi instead (which is a matter of minutes
once the GnuPG interfacing code is done).

> > found out that the current version of GnuPG for Windows has absolutely
>NO
> > way of getting the secret key password from another program. This means
>
>I have not yet implemented it but for other reasons (see below) but it
>should be fairly easy to do; You can do it the same way as in Unix:
>use --passphrase-fd and specify the handle from a pipe you have
>created (see W32's CreatePipe()). We are already using 2 pipes for
>the output and the status stream (gpa/gpapa/gpapaintern.c). I am
>currently reworking that part but the code is still there.

Well I tried to do just that but didn't manage to get it right. I'm pretty
sure my password pipe is fine (I can read back what I put in it), yet GnuPG
doesn't seem to care. I get the message "Reading passphrase from file
descriptor xx" but then get the error :
gpg: public key decryption failed: bad passphrase
gpg: decryption failed: secret key not available
I'm sure my passphrase is right of course :) . So either I forgot some
"magic something" somewhere, or there's something broken in gnupg-1.0.2 for
win32. I looked at the GPA code and doesn't seem to do anything more than I
do.

Re: Windows IPC [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 3 Sep 2000, Mr Griffon wrote:

> I'm sure my passphrase is right of course :) . So either I forgot some
> "magic something" somewhere, or there's something broken in gnupg-1.0.2 for
> win32. I looked at the GPA code and doesn't seem to do anything more than I

Do you send a CR,LF or a ^Z instead of just a LF? GnuPG reads
everything up to the eof or the first LF ('\n').

Werner

Re: Windows IPC [ In reply to ]
Well I send a pure \n at the end, that still doesn't do anything. It seems
that gnupg doesn't even reads the pipe content since after calling it I can
still read back the password in the pipe in my program...