gpg: waiting for lock (hold by 1091 - probably dead) ...

and doesn't exit.

What causes this, and how do I go about preventing it?

--
David Ellement <david.ellement@home.com>
Voice: +1 760 480 8466 | 1225 North Avenue
FAX: +1 760 480 6873 | Escondido, CA 92026

Re: lock while verifying? [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Aug 10, 2000 at 03:50:17PM -0700, David Ellement wrote:
> I've installed RedHat 6.2 at home, which includes gpg 1.0.1. When I
> try verifying a signature, it prints out the signature message, and
> then sits spewing out:
>
> gpg: waiting for lock (hold by 1091 - probably dead) ...
> gpg: waiting for lock (hold by 1091 - probably dead) ...
>
> and doesn't exit.
>
> What causes this,

gpg dying (or being killed) before it can clear it's locks

> and how do I go about preventing it?

To fix it go into ~/.gnupg and delete the lock file(s) there may be more
than one. I forget the names so please be careful and backup before just
rm-ing away. Ohh yeah make sure gpg is not currently running.

Preventing it is a little tougher, find out what is making gpg die and
report it. I have seen this once so far but I have to admin I do not do
a lot of key management or encryption.

Good luck
John

John C. Place
jcplace@attglobal.net
http://profile.guru.com/placej
http://placej.interactivecore.com/public_key.txt

UNIX is a very user-friendly system--it's just not promiscuous
about which users it's friendly with.