Mailing List Archive

Public Keys, key-IDs and User-IDs
At the present moment (on my box), the `--clearsign' command works
perfectly, the `--send-keys' command works when used in conjunction
with my key-ID, but does not recognise my User-ID and the `--recv-keys'
and `--import' commands do not work at all (they complain that there
is no User-ID associated with the algorithm).

The following additional information relating to my current
setup <may/may not> be relevant:

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 498608 Feb 19 10:56 /usr/bin/gpg
-rwsr-xr-x 1 root root 1530445 Jul 25 09:27 /usr/local/bin/gpg

PATH=/usr/local/bin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/sbin

If the sequence of directories in my $PATH needs to be changed, I would
be grateful to be told where to look. My ~/.bash_profile only added
/sbin to the PATH list.

All help will be gratefully received.

--

Felix Karpfen
felkarp@pcug.org.au

Re: Public Keys, key-IDs and User-IDs -- more info [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 10 Aug 2000, you wrote:
> At the present moment (on my box), the `--clearsign' command works
> perfectly, the `--send-keys' command works when used in conjunction
> with my key-ID, but does not recognise my User-ID and the `--recv-keys'
> and `--import' commands do not work at all (they complain that there
> is no User-ID associated with the algorithm).

Further tests have revealed that the problem is neither with my box nor
with the gpg program but with the format in which the Public key is
listed on the keyserver (http://www.keyserver.net)

The public key in question is D3498839. While a search query
readily lists the key, the download fails.

I would still welcome comments and advice.

Felix Karpfen

--

Felix Karpfen
felkarp@pcug.org.au

Re: Public Keys, key-IDs and User-IDs -- more info [ In reply to ]
Felix Karpfen <felkarp@pcug.org.au> writes:

> On Thu, 10 Aug 2000, you wrote:
> > At the present moment (on my box), the `--clearsign' command works
> > perfectly, the `--send-keys' command works when used in conjunction
> > with my key-ID, but does not recognise my User-ID and the `--recv-keys'
> > and `--import' commands do not work at all (they complain that there
> > is no User-ID associated with the algorithm).
> >
> Further tests have revealed that the problem is neither with my box nor
> with the gpg program but with the format in which the Public key is
> listed on the keyserver (http://www.keyserver.net)
>
> The public key in question is D3498839. While a search query
> readily lists the key, the download fails.
>
> I would still welcome comments and advice.
>
> Felix Karpfen

Are you sure that is your keyid????

gpg --recv-keys D3498839
gpg: Warning: using insecure memory!
gpg: requesting key D3498839 from wwwkeys.de.pgp.net ...
gpg: key D3498839: public key imported
gpg: Total number processed: 1
gpg: imported: 1 (RSA: 1)

gpg --edit-key D3498839
gpg (GnuPG) 1.0.2; Copyright (C) 2000 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
under certain conditions. See the file COPYING for details.

gpg: Warning: using insecure memory!

pub 1024R/D3498839 created: 1997-03-15 expires: never trust: -/q
(1) Jan "Yenya" Kasprzak <kas@fi.muni.cz>

Re: Public Keys, key-IDs and User-IDs -- more info [ In reply to ]
Quoting Felix Karpfen <felkarp@pcug.org.au>, who wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Aug 2000, you wrote:
> Further tests have revealed that the problem is neither with my box nor
> with the gpg program but with the format in which the Public key is
> listed on the keyserver (http://www.keyserver.net)
>
> The public key in question is D3498839. While a search query
> readily lists the key, the download fails.

$ gpg -v --recv-key d3498839
gpg: requesting key D3498839 from wwwkeys.us.pgp.net ...
gpg: armor header: Version: 5.0
gpg: armor header: Comment: PGP Key Server 0.9.4
gpg: pub 1024R/D3498839 1997-03-15 Jan "Yenya" Kasprzak <kas@fi.muni.cz>
gpg: key D3498839: unsupported public key algorithm
gpg: key D3498839: skipped user ID 'Jan "Yenya" Kasprzak <kas@fi.muni.cz>'

Download appears to work, doesn't look like it belongs to a Felix
Karpfen, though.

What algorithm did you use to generate the key? What does

$ gpg --list-key d3498839

say about it?

Sam

--
Sam Roberts (sam@cogent.ca), Cogent Real-Time Systems (www.cogent.ca)
Re: Public Keys, key-IDs and User-IDs -- more info [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 11 Aug 2000, Sam Roberts wrote:

> Quoting Felix Karpfen <felkarp@pcug.org.au>, who wrote:
> >
> > The public key in question is D3498839. While a search query
> > readily lists the key, the download fails.
>
> $ gpg -v --recv-key d3498839
> gpg: key D3498839: skipped user ID 'Jan "Yenya" Kasprzak <kas@fi.muni.cz>'
>
> Download appears to work, doesn't look like it belongs to a Felix
> Karpfen, though.
>
> What algorithm did you use to generate the key? What does
>
> $ gpg --list-key d3498839

My thanks to both Anthony Davies and Sam Roberts for their replies.

The obtained downloaded key is correct. I had tried the routine on a
Public key that was of interest but not my own.

It looks as though there are significant gaps in my current
understanding that I would welcome to have explained to me.

My attempt to download the key - which failed - read:

$gpg --recv-keys 0xD3498839

I also attempted to copy the key from the web-page to a file and then
import the file. It also failed.

It probably all relates to the fact that the key is an RSA key -
something I still need to learn about.

Meanwhile, many thanks for the prompt reply

--

Felix Karpfen
felkarp@pcug.org.au