Mailing List Archive

Deleting obsolete uids
[ Please Cc: all replies as I'm not subscribed ]

Hello,

I'm trying to find a solution for this small mess in my key.
Some time ago I created my key to use it with my university machine. After a
long time of barely using it, I got some new email addresses so I added new
uid's to my key. Shortly after that, the university machine died, so my key
has now at least 1 uid I would like to get rid of. I deleted it from my
secret key, but I can't do the same for the pubkey. Some people have signed
it so each time I update my key I get this uid back into my pubkey.

Is there a solution for this, or do I have to live with this dangling uid
forever?

Thank you,

Jordi

[ Cc: me, thanks! ]

--
Jordi Mallach Pérez || jordi@pusa.informat.uv.es || Rediscovering Freedom,
aka Oskuro in || jordi@sindominio.net || Using Debian GNU/Linux

http://sindominio.net GnuPG public information: pub 1024D/917A225E
telnet pusa.uv.es 23 73ED 4244 FD43 5886 20AC 2644 2584 94BA 917A 225E
Re: Deleting obsolete uids [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 19 Jul 2000, Jordi Mallach wrote:

> [...]
> Shortly after that, the university machine died,

O.T.: Chronicle of an announce death? };)

> so my key has now at least 1 uid I would like to get rid of. I
> deleted it from my secret key, but I can't do the same for the
> pubkey. Some people have signed it so each time I update my key I
> get this uid back into my pubkey.

You mean when you send the updated key to the keyserver, right? That's
the way key servers deal with key's updates: they *merge* the updated
key contents with the already stored old key, therefore they only record
new additions, but don't record any deletions. Nasty.

> Is there a solution for this, or do I have to live with this
> dangling uid forever?

ab origen ad aeternum

--
Horacio Anno MMDCCLIII A.U.C.
hacho@crosswinds.net Valencia - ESPAÑA
Re: Deleting obsolete uids [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 18 Jul 2000, L. Sassaman wrote:

> OpenPGP has a solution to this: You revoke the self-signature on the
> key. Then, and OpenPGP compliant program would report that UID as being no
> longer valid.
>
> Werner, I don't think GnuPG does this at present... can that be changed?

I did a few test and really, GnuPG does not display that this
signature is revoked. However it does not use the revoked user ID for
trust calculation.

Sure, it will be changed.

Werner

--
Werner Koch OpenPGP key 621CC013
OpenIT GmbH http://www.OpenIT.de
Deleting obsolete uids [ In reply to ]
JFTR: I wanted to send the following to the list, but by mistake sent
it to Werner directly instead:

| > > OpenPGP has a solution to this: You revoke the self-signature on
| > > the key. Then, and OpenPGP compliant program would report that
| > > UID as being no longer valid.
| <...>
| > I did a few test and really, GnuPG does not display that this
| > signature is revoked.
|
| Umm. --check-sigs shows a line starting with "!rev", doesn´t it?

To spare Werner the need to repeat his reply in public as well, he wrote
that he thinks that that is not enough and that he is working on better
output for this case.

Tschuess,
Ralf