I'm using gnupg with pgp4pine. When I import the same key on another
machine running winblows with pgp 6.5.3 it is imported without any
trouble. To think that something that doesn't work on a linux machine
would work on a winblows machine of course goes against every law of
nature, so I would greatly appreciate it if someone could show me the
error of my ways. ;-)

Thanks in advance

Stefan Suurmeijer
Re: Unsupported public key algorithm [ In reply to ]
Could this have something to do with RSA or IDEA? I think those guys are
patented/licensed, so probably unsupported by GNUpg. Perhaps you're trying
to import a RSA key?

I'm just winging it here, so feel free to correct me.
-J

===============================
John Goodleaf
goodleaf@goodleaf.net

PGP key: finger goodleaf@goodleaf.net
===============================

Re: Unsupported public key algorithm [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 29 Jun 2000, J. Goodleaf wrote:

> Could this have something to do with RSA or IDEA? I think those guys are
> patented/licensed, so probably unsupported by GNUpg. Perhaps you're trying
> to import a RSA key?

Yes, you're absolutely right. I checked it and all the keys generating
errors are RSA. I didn't know that they patented that. Why isn't the world
open source?

> I'm just winging it here, so feel free to correct me.
> -J

I wish I could, but I guess I'm going to be busy installing pgp as
well. Bummer, their command line options make no sense.

Thanks anyway ;-)

Stefan
Re: Unsupported public key algorithm [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Sep 25, 2000 at 09:23:49AM +1100, Felix Karpfen wrote:
> I thought that I had successfully overcome the hurdle of attempting to
> add non-gpg keys to my keyring

> However, it appears I crowed too soon. Below is an account of a
> failure:

> gpg: armor header: Version: 5.0
> gpg: armor header: Comment: PGP Key Server 0.9.4
> gpg: pub 1022R/D5327CB9 1992-09-25 wietse venema <wietse@wzv.win.tue.nl>
> gpg: key D5327CB9: unsupported public key algorithm
> gpg: key D5327CB9: unsupported public key algorithm
> gpg: key D5327CB9: skipped user ID 'wietse venema <wietse@wzv.win.tue.nl>'
> gpg: key D5327CB9: skipped user ID 'wietse venema <wietse@porcupine.org>'
> gpg: key D5327CB9: no valid user IDs
> gpg: this may be caused by a missing self-signature
> gpg: Total number processed: 1
> gpg: w/o user IDs: 1

> I presume that the problem relates to the recently expired RSA patent
> and <has been/will be> tackled by gpg <patches/upgrades>.

> I have currently installed gpg-1.0.2 on a RH 6.2 box; I fear that I may
> have used the rpm route for the install ( I no longer have the source
> files).

> What are my options?

Upgrade to gpg-1.0.3 and retest. 1.0.3 has RSA built in since
RSA Labs released the algorithm into public domain two weeks before the
patent was due to expire. It's all over now, anyways, since the patent
would have expired by now.

> I am quite content to wait if an update is in the wings.

The update is already on stage and dancing...

> Felix Karpfen
> --

> Felix Karpfen
> felkarp@pcug.org.au
> Public Key 72FDF9DF (DH/DSA)
> Keyserver http://www.keyserver.net

Mike
--
Michael H. Warfield | (770) 985-6132 | mhw@WittsEnd.com
(The Mad Wizard) | (678) 463-0932 | http://www.wittsend.com/mhw/

Re: Unsupported public key algorithm [ In reply to ]
Frank Tobin wrote:

>> gpg: pub 1022R/D5327CB9 1992-09-25 wietse venema <wietse@wzv.win.tue.nl>

Does Wietse still work at the Eindhoven University? I thought he has moved.
Anyway, check his email address. As far as I know the TUE has changed its
email address structure. Check their website (www.tue.nl) for that.

> The R in 1022R means RSA. Get GnuPG 1.0.3 (the RSA patent has
> expired) and you'll be able to import the key.

That is, if you load the IDEA plugin. That key is from 1992, so it is almost
centainly created with pgp 2.x, which only uses IDEA as its public key
algorithm. It is even only 1022 bits - does anyone know if there were there
some bugs in pgp 2.0 - 2.3 that prevented 1024 bits keys to be generated?

--
ir. J.C.A. Wevers // Physics and science fiction site:
johanw@vulcan.xs4all.nl // http://www.xs4all.nl/~johanw/index.html

Re: Unsupported public key algorithm [ In reply to ]
No, he's at IBM now. wietse@porcupine.org is correct.

Re: Unsupported public key algorithm [ In reply to ]
Johan Wevers writes:
> Frank Tobin wrote:
>
> >> gpg: pub 1022R/D5327CB9 1992-09-25 wietse venema <wietse@wzv.win.tue.nl>
>
> Does Wietse still work at the Eindhoven University? I thought he has moved.

He doesn't, but the address Frank didn't quote is current.

Re: Unsupported public key algorithm [ In reply to ]

Re: Unsupported public key algorithm [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 25 Sep 2000, Johan Wevers wrote:

> That is, if you load the IDEA plugin. That key is from 1992, so it is almost

You don't need the IDEA for importing a key.

> centainly created with pgp 2.x, which only uses IDEA as its public key
> algorithm. It is even only 1022 bits - does anyone know if there were there
> some bugs in pgp 2.0 - 2.3 that prevented 1024 bits keys to be generated?

This is probably a v2 key awith an odd keylength. There might be a
problem. I can't remember that I tested many of those v2 keys.

He should try 1.0.3.

Werner

--
Werner Koch GnuPG key: 621CC013
OpenIT GmbH http://www.OpenIT.de

Re: Unsupported public key algorithm [ In reply to ]
Werner Koch wrote:

> You don't need the IDEA for importing a key.

Of course not for a public key. Sorry, I was thinking about importing a
secret key, which is usually encrypted with a symmetric cipher. Of course
encrypting public keys is useless.