Mailing List Archive

Windoze PGP Compatability
Hello all,

I've been a windoze pgp user for a while and am in the process of converting
over to unix/gpg. For the time being, however, I need to be able to use both
GPG and PGP. I've created my keys using GPG and am trying to import them to
PGP, but with limited success. I've done:

gpg --export-secret-keys --armor

to get the secret, which I've copied to the clipboard and then done 'Add key
from clipboard' (from pgptray). I can do this with the public key, but get a
read error when I do it for the private. If I do it to a file:

gpg --export-secret-keys -o somefile.asc

or

gpg --export-secret-keys --armor -o somefile.asc

and then try to import them with PGPkeys I get errors about not containing
any valid PGP keys.

There's probably a fairly logical explaination for this... perhaps I should
be doing it the other way around? ie creating under PGP and importing to
GPG?

I'm not on the list so copy me in when you reply please.

Thanks,

Sam
Re: Windoze PGP Compatability [ In reply to ]
You, Johnston, Sam, wrote:

> gpg --export-secret-keys --armor

> to get the secret, which I've copied to the clipboard and then done 'Add key
> from clipboard' (from pgptray). I can do this with the public key, but get a
> read error when I do it for the private. If I do it to a file:

What kind of read error exactly? Did you use a symmetric algorithm that pgp
doesn't support? Try removing the password from the secret key, importing it
and put then ther password back on the key.

--
ir. J.C.A. Wevers // Physics and science fiction site:
johanw@vulcan.xs4all.nl // http://www.xs4all.nl/~johanw/index.html
Re: Windoze PGP Compatability [ In reply to ]
RE: Windoze PGP Compatability [ In reply to ]
Hello all,

Thanks to those who responded - especially those who replied within minutes!

It appears the simplest way around the problem (the problem being I want to
use PGP in Windoze and GPG in Unix for now) is to generate my keys in PGP
and import them into GPG.

This is apparantly because GPG stores its keys using Blowfish. I would have
thought it could have been more friendly than that, but I suspect it is more
PGP being broken than GPG :)

Sam