always been in your possession."

Fingerprint: 2F76 2856 776A 3E07 9F3E 452A 17D9 9B28 D75E 0A36
GnuPG http://www.gnupg.org Get Private!
Re: key storage [ In reply to ]
Jason Helfman <jgh@megsinet.net> writes:

> If you don't keep them local, where would you keep them, other then an
> encrypted filesystem?

A floppy disk, cdrom, compact flash or pcmcia memory card you carried
with you and removed when it wasn't in use?

210 days, 18 hours, 14 minutes, 34 seconds till we run away.
"I am Curly of Borg. Resistance and assimilation is Nyuk, Nyuk, Nyuk!"
Re: key storage [ In reply to ]
Jason Helfman, at 15:54 -0500 on Fri, 14 Apr 2000, wrote:

> If you don't keep them local, where would you keep them, other then an
> encrypted filesystem?

Removable drives (e.g., floppy), or other input devices such as serial
ports provide a decent means of having an 'air-wall' between your secret
keys and the OpenPGP application when they are not in use. There are a
whole bunch of fun/exotic/paranoid measures one could go to to protect
one's secret keys. Lots of them cut down on your productivity,
though. Pick your favorite game.

--
Frank Tobin http://www.uiuc.edu/~ftobin/

"To learn what is good and what is to be valued,
those truths which cannot be shaken or changed." Myst: The Book of Atrus
Re: key storage [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Apr 14, 2000 at 05:20:57PM -0400, Alan Shutko (ats@acm.org) wrote:
> Jason Helfman <jgh@megsinet.net> writes:
>
> > If you don't keep them local, where would you keep them, other then an
> > encrypted filesystem?
>
> A floppy disk, cdrom, compact flash or pcmcia memory card you carried
> with you and removed when it wasn't in use?

This is a really good idea, and I didn't realize until you'd said it that it's (finally) not just possible but downright easy. Anybody know where I can get CD-R blanks that are credit-card sized, like the rescue discs LinuxCare makes? This would be perfect for storing keyrings.
--

Everything on television is fake.
sungod@atdot.org