Mailing List Archive

Re: Compatibility
On Thu, Apr 13, 2000 at 10:32:46PM +0200, Johan Lundberg wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Apr 2000, L. Sassaman wrote:
>
> >Be sure you are using a cipher that both products can understand. 3DES is
> >the most logical, since it is required by RFC 2440. CAST is the default
> >cipher in PGP, and Blowfish in GnuPG. PGP does not implement Blowfish, so
> >this is most likely your problem.
>
> So, why does GPG default to something that pgp cant handle?

So why does PGP default to something that GnuPG can't handle?

The point is to be compatible with the spec (the RFC) not with some
commercial software. If some commercial software, any commercial
software, happens to be compliant with the RFC, then interoperability
should be possible. That's one of the reasons for compliance with
standards.

However, I am now curious why the commercial (NAI) PGP doesn't support
open source Blowfish. But, being a commercial endeavor, I suppose I
should not care very much what they (NAI) do or do not support. As long
as GnuPG remains standards-compliant I should be happy. The fact that NAI
chose to make their product noncompliant with the standard (in another
manner) is deplorable (in my opinion.) They are certainly not something
to be emulated.

--
Please (OpenPGP) encrypt all mail whenever possible. Request the following
Public Keys for Lazarus Long <lazarus@overdue.ompages.com>

Type Bits/KeyID Fingerprint DSA KeyID: vvvv vvvv
ElGamal: 2048g/41783186 47A0 0929 CD9F B53E 49C0 F06C 560E F574 ED0D F80C
Re: Compatibility [ In reply to ]
Hi

JL> On Thu, 13 Apr 2000, L. Sassaman wrote:
>> PGP does not implement Blowfish, so this is most likely
>> your problem.

JL> So, why does GPG default to something that pgp cant handle?

It's a long story. Blowfish is a fast and secure [so far]
algorithm. You'd have to ask NAI why they don't implement it.

--
\js

SHHHH!! I hear SIX TATTOOED TRUCK-DRIVERS tossing ENGINE BLOCKS
into empty OIL DRUMS..
Re: Compatibility [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 13 Apr 2000, L. Sassaman wrote:

> Be sure you are using a cipher that both products can understand. 3DES is
> the most logical, since it is required by RFC 2440. CAST is the default
> cipher in PGP, and Blowfish in GnuPG. PGP does not implement Blowfish, so
> this is most likely your problem.

IIRC, PGP 5.0beta something did implement Blowfish and created
preferences to it.

--
Werner Koch OpenPGP key 621CC013
OpenIT GmbH tel +49 211 239577-0
Re: Compatibility [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 13 Apr 2000, L. Sassaman wrote:

> about 5.x violations. Show me 6.0 non-compliance issues, other than the
> photo-id packet. Please. (And by the way, OpenPGP *is* an emulation of PGP
> Inc.'s product. ;) )

There used to be a signature subpacket with some X.509 data, the
subpacket number was not in the private/experimenatl range and not
specified by OpenPGP.

> Note, also, that GnuPG does not use DSS by default. The jury is still out
> on the effectiveness of RIPEMD160 in place of SHA-1 when used with DSA. It

Hmmm? just did a simple test without any special options (gpg -s hallo):

$ gpg --list-packets hallo.gpg
:compressed packet: algo=1
:onepass_sig packet: keyid 6C7EE1B8621CC013
version 3, sigclass 00, digest 2, pubkey 17, last=1
:literal data packet:
mode b, created 955701015, name="hallo",
raw data: 6 bytes
:signature packet: algo 17, keyid 6C7EE1B8621CC013
version 3, created 955701015, md5len 5, sigclass 00
digest algo 2, begin of digest bf b4
data: [158 bits]
data: [160 bits]

digest algo 2 is SHA-1, so it looks very much like DSS; I have to
confess that the GnuPG does not use the recommended prosecure for key
generation.

Re: Compatibility [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 13 Apr 2000, John Saylor wrote:

> It's a long story. Blowfish is a fast and secure [so far]
> algorithm. You'd have to ask NAI why they don't implement it.

For encryption it is relly simple: If you encrypt for a key, an
OpenPGP implemenation does an intersection between the list of
algorithm it implements and the ones foun in the key of the recipient.
This intersection will never be empty becuase 3DES is implicty
available.

So, if you created a key with a preference including Blowfish, any
OpenPGP implemenation may decide to use Blowfish for encryption.

Yes, I know, there should be a more easy way to change preferences,
without editing gpg source.

Preferences don't work with signatures of course.

Werner

Re: Compatibility [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 14 Apr 2000, L. Sassaman wrote:

> But the point is still valid to those who wish to tweak their settings for
> no reason: using RIPEMD160 instead of SHA-1 with DSA keys makes them not
> DSS. It is my recommendation that people use SHA-1 with DSA keys unless at
> some point they are given good reason not to trust SHA-1.

Most banks here in Germany prefer RIPEMD160 over SHA1; I don't know
why ;-)

Re: Compatibility [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 14 Apr 2000, L. Sassaman wrote:

> As it doesn't look like Blowfish is going to be implemented in PGP, I'd
> like to see GnuPG give the option to exclude it from the preferences when
> keys are generated in GnuPG.

No.

Re: Compatibility [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 14 Apr 2000, L. Sassaman wrote:

> I don't know about previous versions, but in 6.5.3 it is subpacket number
> 100 (internal or user defined).

Sorry, I was wrong here. See my message from 21 Feb 2000 22:31:47 in
gnupg-devel.

Werner

Re: Compatibility [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 13 Apr 2000, Lazarus Long wrote:

>However, I am now curious why the commercial (NAI) PGP doesn't support
>open source Blowfish. But, being a commercial endeavor, I suppose I
>should not care very much what they (NAI) do or do not support. As long
>as GnuPG remains standards-compliant I should be happy. The fact that NAI
>chose to make their product noncompliant with the standard (in another
>manner) is deplorable (in my opinion.) They are certainly not something
>to be emulated.

Ohh.. I thougth that one nice thing with gnupg whas that you should be
able to encrypt to and from pgp, gpg and other users without to mush
problems. It's a fact that pgp is mush more used than gpg, so i think pgp
should be fully compatible with pgp by default (as long as it's not a
violation to openPGP). If gpg are to replace pgp (as I understand you wold
like?), it would be nice to be as compatible as possible.

/johan
Johan Lundberg HTTP://johan.hello.to
Vibblabyv. 28 PGP: 0xD3A0A0E5
17764 Jarfalla B847 687B 8971 0AAC 1C29
+46(0)8-580 17259 DBA1 AB5F 664F D3A0 A0E5
Re: Compatibility [ In reply to ]
Re: Compatibility [ In reply to ]
Re: Compatibility [ In reply to ]
L. Sassaman, at 14:03 -0700 on Fri, 14 Apr 2000, wrote:

> Not following SHOULDs, unless there is a very good reason, is bad.

Are you implying that creating unrestricted, free software is not a "vey
good reason"? Remember, the FSF has strong philosophies which have
changed things for many of us, because of this good reason.

> Photo-ID and what else? Nothing. And the photo ID breaks nothing,
> either.

If this is true, I'll stop arguing this point; I'm sure you've become more
intimate with PGP's internals and the RFC than I have.

--
Frank Tobin http://www.uiuc.edu/~ftobin/

"To learn what is good and what is to be valued,
those truths which cannot be shaken or changed." Myst: The Book of Atrus
Re: Compatibility [ In reply to ]
L. Sassaman wrote:

> As it doesn't look like Blowfish is going to be implemented in PGP,

I don't follow the recent pgp development closely, but I thought it's
source is still available. Is it difficult to write Blowfish modules for
pgp 6.x like the ones for GnuPG?

--
ir. J.C.A. Wevers // Physics and science fiction site:
johanw@vulcan.xs4all.nl // http://www.xs4all.nl/~johanw/index.html
Re: Compatibility [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 14 Apr 2000, L. Sassaman wrote:

> I was not judging the particular case of not including IDEA and RSA. In

It is perfectly okay not to include those algorithms. The IETF
prefers unpatened algorithms if it can be done at all and one of the
reasons why we have this whole OpenPGP think, is that it now allows
free usage of a protocol.

> fact, the modules almost make up for it (the RSA module doesn't permit key
> generation, I don't believe). But I was just pointing out that SHOULD

And with a good reason. 2 years back most folks agredd on that RSA is
a bad thing. I remember that Phil called my on the phone to make sure
that GnuPG will not switch to RSA!

Because it sometimes makes sense to create RSA keys, GnuPG will have
this feature on Sep 20th.

> If the WG assigned packet 17 to something else, then there would be a
> problem. As it is now, Packet 17 is effectively assigned to the
> Photo-ID; it just isn't official. I hope the WG makes it so, as the

That is the reason why there are these experimental/private packet
numbers.

These whole compatibilty story to PGP remembers me a bit of the strategy
other (big) verndors are driving. Take a standard, add some nice little
gadget which is not covered by the standard and claim that you use the new
Standard. Microsoft did this recently with Kerberos.

BTW, does PGP 6,7 or whatever now create v4 signature packets or does GnuPG
still need the --force-v3-sigs option?

Werner

p.s. This discussion should be done on the OpenPGP ML.

Re: Compatibility [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 15 Apr 2000, Johan Wevers wrote:

> I don't follow the recent pgp development closely, but I thought it's
> source is still available. Is it difficult to write Blowfish modules for
> pgp 6.x like the ones for GnuPG?

First look at the license....

Re: Compatibility [ In reply to ]
Werner Koch wrote:

> And with a good reason. 2 years back most folks agredd on that RSA is
> a bad thing.

Due to legal or due to technical reasons? I believe that most cryptographers
believe that when you crack one algorithm you can probably also crack the
other so I guess it are non-technical reasons.

> These whole compatibilty story to PGP remembers me a bit of the strategy
> other (big) verndors are driving. Take a standard, add some nice little
> gadget which is not covered by the standard and claim that you use the new
> Standard. Microsoft did this recently with Kerberos.

The difference here is that MS is not publishing its changes so any tool
that wants to be compatible, like Samba, must reverse-engineer the changes.
That is not the case with the photo-ID packets.

Re: Compatibility [ In reply to ]
Werner Koch wrote:

>>I don't follow the recent pgp development closely, but I thought it's
>>source is still available. Is it difficult to write Blowfish modules for
>>pgp 6.x like the ones for GnuPG?

> First look at the license....

I don't hve the licence here, but the question that would count to me is:
would NAI go and sue when someone writes a patch or plugin module for pgp
for Blowfish? And if so, would they probably win?

Re: Compatibility [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 16 Apr 2000, Johan Wevers wrote:

> Due to legal or due to technical reasons? I believe that most cryptographers
> believe that when you crack one algorithm you can probably also crack the

v3 RSA keys also for technical reasons.

> The difference here is that MS is not publishing its changes so any tool
> that wants to be compatible, like Samba, must reverse-engineer the changes.
> That is not the case with the photo-ID packets.

I have never seen a description of the Photo-ID, although NAI promised a
long time ago to send specs to the WG. I had to do some reverse
engineering on that data packet too.

Werner

Re: Compatibility [ In reply to ]
Werner Koch wrote:

> I have never seen a description of the Photo-ID, although NAI promised a
> long time ago to send specs to the WG. I had to do some reverse
> engineering on that data packet too.

And it's also not available in the pgp source?

Anyway, that's a bad thing. If NAI wants this to make it in a future RFC
then they should at least publish it.

Re: Compatibility [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 16 Apr 2000, L. Sassaman wrote:

> Here's the original proposal:
>
> http://www.imc.org/ietf-open-pgp/mail-archive/msg01196.html

It is dated March 1998 and I can't remember that it ever has been
in a draft nor is it in RFC2440 (November 98). This cleary means, it
is not part of OpenPGP. The WG has decided on this and that is the
entity which decides. During the process of creating OpenPGP the
other implementors did change there apps to be in compliance with the
draft or the final specs, PGP didn't.

Werner

Re: Compatibility [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 14 Apr 2000, L. Sassaman wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Apr 2000, Frank Tobin wrote:
[snip]
> > RSA and IDEA are not supported by default in GnuPG because they are not
> > free algorithms. These are SHOULD's in the OpenPGP specifiction. RSA
> > will likely be supported when the patent runs out this fall. IDEA's
> > patent does not run out for several years.
>
> Not following SHOULDs, unless there is a very good reason, is bad.

Wishing not to go to jail for using patented algorithms without a license
is a very good reason, IMHO.

--
Mark H. Wood, Lead System Programmer mwood@IUPUI.Edu
"Where's the kaboom? There was supposed to be an Earth-shattering kaboom!"