Mailing List Archive

Re: option for specifying lanugage?
On Tue, 11 Apr 2000, sen_ml@eccosys.com wrote:

> is there a way to specify an option to gnupg to get it to choose which
> language its messages are outputed as? something like the "lang"
> option in pgp. note: i mean command line option -- not specifying the
> contents of an environment variable.

What's wrong with:

$ LANG=it gpg foo

(assuming a Bourne/POSIX shell)

--
Werner Koch OpenPGP key 621CC013
OpenIT GmbH tel +49 211 239577-0
Re: option for specifying lanugage? [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 12 Apr 2000, sen_ml@eccosys.com wrote:

> wk> $ LANG=it gpg foo
>
> wk> (assuming a Bourne/POSIX shell)
>

> one of the paragraphs in my original message that you did not quote
> mentions the fact that at least one program (i presume there are more)
> has been written to process english gnupg messages. assuming that

No program should process GnuPG messages; programs should use the
output of --status-fd. If a program needs to process the messages it
should reset the locale variables. The test scripts for example do
this.

> -having the program forcibly specify /bin/sh seems like a
> waste of starting up an extra process

Giving environment variables for a program is part of the shell
syntax. No extra process.

> -forcing the user to set an environment variable every time they use gpg
> doesn't make sense

I can't see a reason to have just gpg emit English messages and other
programs use the locale message version.

> -having the program try to detect which shell the user uses seems silly

Every script uses /bin/sh - it's Posix. Adding just an option to
reset an environment variable is no good design IMHO. I know that you
will now say something about --homedir vs. GNUPGHOME :-(

Werner