| It's a funny thing about life; if you refuse to accept |
| anything but the best, you very often get it |
|------------------------------------<youngs_s@ozlinx.com.au>---|
Re: Importing keys [ In reply to ]
You, Steve Youngs, wrote:

> gpg --import keyfilename
>
> I get...
>
> gpg: key 16F4CCE9: unsupported public key algorithm

Did you use the RSA module? Otherwise importing an RSA key gives this
message.

> gpg: key 16F4CCE9: no valid user IDs

I guess this results from the previous error.

--
ir. J.C.A. Wevers // Physics and science fiction site:
johanw@vulcan.xs4all.nl // http://www.xs4all.nl/~johanw/index.html
Re: Importing keys [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Mar 28, 2000 at 12:17:09PM +1000, Steve Youngs wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm having a great deal of trouble importing keys with gnupg 1.0.1.
> When I do...
>
> gpg --import keyfilename
>
> I get...
>
> gpg: key 16F4CCE9: unsupported public key algorithm
> gpg: key 16F4CCE9: no valid user IDs
> gpg: this may be caused by a missing self-signature
> gpg: Total number processed: 1
> gpg: w/o user IDs: 1
>

> What am I doing wrong?

Actually, you're doing everything right, except that the key that
you're importing, was not signed by the person who owns it (self-signature, I
believe). This is most common with PGP 2.6.x keys (I had to import my 2.6.3a
and 2.6.3ia keys into GnuPG, and had the same problem. Try the import again,
and pass the --allow-non-selfsigned-uid option to gpg, and you should be okay.

BL.
--
Brad Littlejohn | Email: tyketto@wizard.com
Unix Systems Administrator, | tyketto@ozemail.com.au
Re: Importing keys [ In reply to ]
>>>"AGCT" == A Guy Called Tyketto <tyketto@wizard.com> writes:

AGCT> Actually, you're doing everything right, except that the key that
AGCT> you're importing, was not signed by the person who owns it (self-signature, I
AGCT> believe). This is most common with PGP 2.6.x keys (I had to import my 2.6.3a
AGCT> and 2.6.3ia keys into GnuPG, and had the same problem. Try the import again,
AGCT> and pass the --allow-non-selfsigned-uid option to gpg, and you should be okay.

We should really be starting a FAQ. I had the same problem and thought
this to be an unsolvable compatibility issue. Thanks.

Nils
--
Nils Ellmenreich - Fak. für Math./Informatik - Please use gpg - Nils @
http://www.fmi.uni-passau.de/~nils - Universität Passau - Uni-Passau.DE
Re: Importing keys [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Mar 28, 2000 at 10:56:02AM +0200, Nils Ellmenreich wrote:

> AGCT> Actually, you're doing everything right, except that the key that
> AGCT> you're importing, was not signed by the person who owns it (self-signature, I
> AGCT> believe). This is most common with PGP 2.6.x keys (I had to import my 2.6.3a
> AGCT> and 2.6.3ia keys into GnuPG, and had the same problem. Try the import again,
> AGCT> and pass the --allow-non-selfsigned-uid option to gpg, and you should be okay.
>
> We should really be starting a FAQ. I had the same problem and thought
> this to be an unsolvable compatibility issue. Thanks.

Smeg. I just remembered something, too. For this, you may need to have
the rsa and idea extensions loaded into GnuPG. There's a nice kludge about
this, and support for PGP 2.x keys with GnuPG, as part of the GnuPG
Documentation Project. 'ave a look at
http://www.gnupg.org/gph/en/pgp2x/t1.html . that should clear it up. :)

BL.
Re: Importing keys [ In reply to ]
* A Guy Called Tyketto <tyketto@wizard.com> writes:

> On Tue, Mar 28, 2000 at 12:17:09PM +1000, Steve Youngs wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I'm having a great deal of trouble importing keys with gnupg 1.0.1.
>> When I do...
>>
>> gpg --import keyfilename
>>
>> I get...
>>
>> gpg: key 16F4CCE9: unsupported public key algorithm
>> gpg: key 16F4CCE9: no valid user IDs
>> gpg: this may be caused by a missing self-signature
>> gpg: Total number processed: 1
>> gpg: w/o user IDs: 1

> pass the --allow-non-selfsigned-uid option to gpg, and you should be okay.

I had a block of 6 keys, doing what you suggested I was able to import
1 of them. The other 5 were rejected with the above error.

--
| The secret of happiness in not in doing what one likes, |