Mailing List Archive

gpg --recv-key option
I have been speaking back and forth with some users of gpg and am
having some problems seeing any posts for my reqests to the group....

Make a long story short...
Why is it that if I do something of this nature:

gpg --keyserver certserver.pgp.com --recv-key email@whoever.com

I will not receive anything. I am told through communications with
yourself that you can only get the id of the key. How can someone have
any idea how to retrieve a given persons key off a server if they have
to know the id?

If this is true, what is the logic behind the structure of this? If I
am wrong, what am I doing incorrectly.

I am running Redhat Linux 6.1, Kernel 2.2.13
gnupg-rsaref-1.0-2
gnupg-1.0.0-1

---
/helfman
"At any given moment, you may find the ticket to the circus that has
always been in your possession."

Fingerprint: 2F76 2856 776A 3E07 9F3E 452A 17D9 9B28 D75E 0A36
GnuPG http://www.gnupg.org Get Private!
Re: gpg --recv-key option [ In reply to ]
Put http://pgp.mit.edu into your webbrowser, and from there you can search
by email to recieve Hex ID's.

--
Marius Strom <marius@alpha1.net>
Professional Geek/Unix System Administrator

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice...
...In practice, there is a big difference.

Re: gpg --recv-key option [ In reply to ]
So this can't be done via the shell, if this is what I am seeing? I
know that you can do this with pgp6...

Re: gpg --recv-key option [ In reply to ]
> So this can't be done via the shell, if this is what I am seeing? I
> know that you can do this with pgp6...

Yes, you can. To get Marius' key:

gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 42C74CBA

Pat
--
Patrick Lawrence
Distributed Computing Analysis and Support
Re: gpg --recv-key option [ In reply to ]
this is my point exactly....!!!!

you have to know the hex. And this is not a friendly search for gpg...
you should be able to search by email address, last name and hex....

Re: gpg --recv-key option [ In reply to ]
Argh, I've been exampled! =]

Re: gpg --recv-key option [ In reply to ]
Searching by {email,lastname,firstname,anything but the keyid} is very
susceptible to security issues, IMHO. I think taking the extra step to
getting the KeyID is a "good thing"(tm).

Re: gpg --recv-key option [ In reply to ]
if it is a security issue, how is it allowed in pgp6, the certificate
servers and others....i agree with you though, having to take the extra
step is nice, however annoying as hell...

why should I have to open a web browser and search! this should be a
command line function.

Re: gpg --recv-key option [ In reply to ]
Jason,
Imagine if your name is "Bob Smith", a very common name I'm sure. gpg
--recv-key --keyserver whatever Bob Smith would download a HUGE chunk of
keys. That just wouldn't be right.

I think it is good to go the the pgp.mit.edu key search, search for your
friend Bob Smith, then snag his key by HexID.

Re: gpg --recv-key option [ In reply to ]
Re: gpg --recv-key option [ In reply to ]
Re: gpg --recv-key option [ In reply to ]
On 24 Mar, Frank Tobin wrote:

> Marius Strom, at 16:29 -0600 on Fri, 24 Mar 2000, wrote:
>
>> Jason,
>> Imagine if your name is "Bob Smith", a very common name I'm sure. gpg
>> --recv-key --keyserver whatever Bob Smith would download a HUGE chunk of
>> keys. That just wouldn't be right.
>
> It is not wrong. GnuPG could very easily handle this. The standard
> keyservers don't seem return a keyblock for non-ID searches; they return a
> list of possible keys, describing their size, hexID, user ids, etc.
> GnuPG would then present these user ID's to the user, and then the user
> would select which hexID(s) to download. There is no need to get every
> match for "Bob Smith".
>
>> I think it is good to go the the pgp.mit.edu key search, search for your
>> friend Bob Smith, then snag his key by HexID.
>
> How does this solve the issue? How do you know which Bob Smith to choose?

Seems to me that Frank has put his virtual finger on the crux of the
issue: How *do* you know which to choose? Even if GnuPG presented the
possible matches to the user, the only thing that's gained is not
hopping to the web browser.

From a practical standpoint, it seems that the easiest way to handle the
transaction is to have Bob Smith send you a signed email. When you (or
your email program) verify the signature, you will get the correct key
from the keyserver, which you can then use for future communications.

If nothing else, my keyring is being filled with keys in this manner ...

Barthel
--
ld_barthel@yahoo.com | http://geocities.com/Area51/Shire/4063
gpg fingerprint: 8D3F 4BFF D36B BFCC FEE5 86A0 2AAF D3DA C395 641E

Of course, America had often been discovered before Columbus,
but it had always been hushed up. - Oscar Wilde
Re: gpg --recv-key option [ In reply to ]
Hello, can anybody tell me what and why these fingerprints are ?
It should be something important or useful at least since nearly
everybody who uses gpg/pgp uses it. I have searched gpg help but did not
find out what i was looking for. Thanks in advance...
Best regards Michal Hajek

* L. Sassaman (rabbi@quickie.net) [000326 06:47]:
Re: gpg --recv-key option [ In reply to ]