Mailing List Archive

Passphrase no longer works?
Hi all,

I've been using gpg 1.0.1 since mid January with no apparent
problems. Today all of a sudden I can't get my passphrase to unlock
my secret key. Whenever I try I get the following output:

> gpg --sign temp.txt

You need a passphrase to unlock the secret key for
user: "Chris Clarke <stcanard@yahoo.com>"
1024-bit DSA key, ID B057D06A, created 2000-01-17

gpg: Invalid passphrase; please try again ...

You need a passphrase to unlock the secret key for
user: "Chris Clarke <stcanard@yahoo.com>"
1024-bit DSA key, ID B057D06A, created 2000-01-17

gpg: Invalid passphrase; please try again ...

You need a passphrase to unlock the secret key for
user: "Chris Clarke <stcanard@yahoo.com>"
1024-bit DSA key, ID B057D06A, created 2000-01-17

gpg: no default secret key: bad passphrase
gpg: signing failed: bad passphrase

I can absolutely guarantee that I'm using the correct passphrase, and
it hasn't been changed since I created the key in January (even
assuming a horrible typing ability, in 3 hours of trying I must have
typed it correctly at least once). I first ran into this problem when
using Mutt 1.0.1i (which I've been using for several days now); I
replied to a message that I received (first successfully decoding it),
then when trying to send / sign the message gpg wouldn't let me in.
The problem now appears when I try using gpg from the command line as
shown above.

Earlier today I added the idea and rsa modules and imported a PGP 2.x
signature, however I have sucessfully used gpg on my own keys since
that time. I've tried commenting out the extensions in my options
file, however I still can't get in.

I'm using it on a x86 based SuSE 6.1 system. I've even tried
recompiling and reinstalling the package, to no avail.

I'm starting to get desperate -- does anyone have any idea what's
going on here?

Thanks,
Chris.
--
Chris Clarke
stcanard@yahoo.com
Re: Passphrase no longer works? [ In reply to ]
Ok,

I've written a Perl script that goes through every possible
capitilization combination for my passphrase, and they still all fail,
so that rules out the possibility that I've been pathologically
mistyping my phrase (with a sticky shift or something).

Are there any know instances of the keyring somehow getting corrupted?
I ran into this problem between editing and reading a message, and
there was only one user on the machine, so I can guarantee that there
were no configuration changes in the interim.

Chris.

Re: Passphrase no longer works? [ In reply to ]
Re: Passphrase no longer works? [ In reply to ]

> * Try to remember your correct passphrase... ;-\
> For example sometimes I have days I must type in my passphrase more
> than six times until I get it correct... That's a bit annoying but
> happens.

I know, Occam's razor :-) Based on all evidennce I'm going to assume
my brain cache got corrupted and the passphrase overwritten.
Fortunately the key wasn't really in distribution yet, so I've just
created a new secret ring. This time I've got proper backups so if it
ever happens again I'll be able to definitely verify if its me or the
ring.

Thanks for the help,

Cheers,
Chris.