Mailing List Archive

Experts, please help: Keypair corrupted (plus bug report?)
Hello,

I've got a big problem with my GPG key pair: The secret key doesn't show
a user id any more!
After accidentially copying pubring.gpg~ over pubring.gpg the following
mismatch between the private & public key appeared:

joerg@norad:~/.gnupg > gpg --list-secret-key
/home/joerg/.gnupg/secring.gpg
------------------------------
sec 1024D/68FBD67F 2000-01-18
ssb 1024g/CB70CD4D 2000-01-18

However the public key has still its UID:

/home/joerg/.gnupg/pubring.gpg
------------------------------
pub 1024D/68FBD67F 2000-01-18 Joerg Ziefle <joerg.ziefle@gmx.de>
sub 1024g/CB70CD4D 2000-01-18

Unfortunately, I can't revoke the key pair (secret key not found).
But if creating a new key pair with the same user id,

gpg --list-keys 68FBD67F

says: secret key available, and it uses the secret key of the new key
pair (is this a bug in GPG?). I can even create a revocation certificate
(using the passphrase of the old secret key, hm...), but the server
doesn't accept it.

What now?

Joerg
Re: Experts, please help: Keypair corrupted (plus bug report?) [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 20 Jan 2000, Jörg Ziefle wrote:

> pub 1024D/68FBD67F 2000-01-18 Joerg Ziefle <joerg.ziefle@gmx.de>
> sub 1024g/CB70CD4D 2000-01-18
>
> Unfortunately, I can't revoke the key pair (secret key not found).
> But if creating a new key pair with the same user id,

Really? Did you use the key ID ?

--
Werner Koch at guug.de www.gnupg.org keyid 621CC013

Boycott Amazon! - http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/amazon.html
Re: Re: Experts, please help: Keypair corrupted (plus bug report?) [ In reply to ]
Now I can generate a revocation certificate, but the key server doesn't
accept it. Here follows the error message which I get after sending the
key to the server:

Public Key Server -- Add

Key block in add request contained no new
keys, userid's, or signatures.
Your key block contained 1 format errors,
which were treated as if the erroneous elements
hadn't been part of your submission.
The errors were outside of any PGP public key;
maybe you didn't send a public key block at all.
Anyway, the last error encountered was:
Key block corrupt: signature without key

The local copy of the keys has exactly the same UIDs & sigs as the key on
the server.

Please help!

Jörg

--
Jörg Ziefle email: joerg.ziefle@(web.de|gmx.(de|net))
Allmandring 20 D 35 Phone: +49 (0)177 4389721
Re: Re: Experts, please help: Keypair corrupted (plus bug report?) [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 23 Jan 2000, Jörg Ziefle wrote:

> hadn't been part of your submission.
> The errors were outside of any PGP public key;
> maybe you didn't send a public key block at all.
> Anyway, the last error encountered was:

A old version of the keyserver software. Marcel fixed this.
what you should do is: gpg --import myrevcert, then do an export and
send it to the keyserver. But be warned: sometimes the keyserves
srew up on revovcations (try to get my key from a KS :-().