Unix Sysadmin at Large oOoOo Canyonlands of CO in ???? oOoOo
climer@io.com oOoOo oOoOo
Portland, OR oOoOo oOoOo
Re: IDEA/RSA [ In reply to ]
You, Duncan Watson, wrote:

> I was browsing around and found a reference on adding support to gpg
> for IDEA and RSA. It pointed to some c files in contrib but there
> were no real instructions on what to do with them.

Read the source. Below the legal stuff it says:

/* How to compile:
*
gcc -Wall -O2 -shared -fPIC -o idea idea.c
*/

and place the resulting executables in the gnupg dir. Then add to your
options file:

load-extension rsa
load-extension idea

and you're done.

> I have been trying to find out the licensing issues for using these
> patented algorithms

Sorry, details like these bothered me never enough to find that info.
I believe that some institute think they can patent IDEA (RSA is only
patented in the USA anyway) but I doubt that patent is valid in my
country (The Netherlands) anyway.

--
ir. J.C.A. Wevers // Physics and science fiction site:
johanw@vulcan.xs4all.nl // http://www.xs4all.nl/~johanw/index.html
RE: IDEA/RSA [ In reply to ]
Re: IDEA/RSA [ In reply to ]
Re: IDEA/RSA [ In reply to ]
Hello!

Duncan Watson wrote:
> I have been trying to find out the licensing issues for using these
> patented algorithms with gpg [...]

See

http://www.ascom.ch/infosec/

and especially

http://www.ascom.ch/infosec/idea/online_order_form.html

for how someone can "own" a mathematical formula.

Next time they will patent the `sin' function ... :-(

Hope this helps,

Peter

--
http://home.pages.de/~Peter.Gerwinski/ - G-N-U GmbH: http://www.g-n-u.de