Mailing List Archive

PGP/MIME mailers

>> Is mutt the only MUA to get that right? PGP/MIME, anyone?

Thomas> It think so, but I'm not sure.

MEW, an Emacs messaging package, also does PGP/MIME. I think the tm
package (a MIME add-on) can also be configured to create PGP/MIME.

Despite the "deprecation," the old way seems to be the most
portable. Sadly, PGP/MIME doesn't have any built-in backwards
compatibility, so it's not very useful for widespread communication.

[.I've actually seen complaints from Eudora users that their mailer
will treat _any_ MIME parts as "attachments" and auto-save them to a
defined directory. So PGP/MIME signatures and those annoying v-card
things just pile up. Not a good reason not to use PGP/MIME, just a
pain in the butt from a widely-used MUA.]

~ESP

ESP <evangelo@pigdog.org> | http://pigdog.org/ | RoR - Alucard
Re: PGP/MIME mailers [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 5 Jan 2000, ESP wrote:

> Despite the "deprecation," the old way seems to be the most
> portable. Sadly, PGP/MIME doesn't have any built-in backwards
> compatibility, so it's not very useful for widespread communication.

That is only true for signature. The more important encryption format
is quite portable as you can simple use gpg to decrypt it without
knowing about MIME at all.

If you want to check the signatures, you either have to write a script
which does this for uou or use a compliant mailer.

> [I've actually seen complaints from Eudora users that their mailer
> will treat _any_ MIME parts as "attachments" and auto-save them to a

Does that mean you can't read any MIMEified mail with Eudora? or does
it simply display only the first MIME part? IIRC, there is a new
version available - does this one work correct?

--
Werner Koch at guug.de www.gnupg.org keyid 621CC013

Boycott Amazon! - http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/amazon.html