Evangelisches u. Johanniter Klinikum Duisburg/Dinslaken/Oberhausen gGmbH
Abteilung für Krankenhausinformatik, Gerrickstr. 21, D-47137 Duisburg
Tel. +49-203-508-5990, Fax +49-203-451-31434
Re: Netscape GPG [ In reply to ]
On the subject of signing:

Re: Netscape GPG [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 5 Jan 2000, Lars Hecking wrote:

> Is mutt the only MUA to get that right? PGP/MIME, anyone?

Better the old style than a wrong implemented rfc2015 ;-)

If we succeed with a GnuPG for NS it will of course implement rfc2015.

I have some hope that you will see something like this before summer
(northern hemispere). I'd prefer to add this to Mozilla but given the
large installed base of NS and the German funding project it makes
some sense to implement it for old NS.

--
Werner Koch at guug.de www.gnupg.org keyid 621CC013

Boycott Amazon! - http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/amazon.html
Re: Netscape GPG [ In reply to ]
Re: Netscape GPG [ In reply to ]

Re: Netscape GPG [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 06 Jan 2000, Werner Koch wrote:

> One advantage of this is, that it enables you to sign an entire MIME
> message with any content and arbitrary mime parts. It is also
> possible to sign only parts of a MIME message.

One disadvantage of this is that mailing list software may decide to
convert quoted printables to 8bit and thus invalidate the signature.
Like the one running this list did with a recent message
(<19991204161604.A2317@frodo.rrze.uni-erlangen.de>) of mine!

Walter
Re: Netscape GPG [ In reply to ]
> One disadvantage of this is that mailing list software may decide to
> convert quoted printables to 8bit and thus invalidate the signature.
> Like the one running this list did with a recent message
> (<19991204161604.A2317@frodo.rrze.uni-erlangen.de>) of mine!

I stumbled across this just yesterday when I converted all old-style
signed mails on this list to pgp/mime. The significant difference
between this mail of yours (as received by list members) and other
signed mails is that your message was multipart/mixed, and maybe
the list software has problems with that. Or there was some broken
MTA in the path.
Re: Netscape GPG [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 7 Jan 2000, Walter Hofmann wrote:

> One disadvantage of this is that mailing list software may decide to
> convert quoted printables to 8bit and thus invalidate the signature.
> Like the one running this list did with a recent message
> (<19991204161604.A2317@frodo.rrze.uni-erlangen.de>) of mine!
>
> Walter

A little odd seeing my name on someone else's message. :) There are not
many Walters here.

My preference would have definately been to have a signature sign a part
before it is attached to an email. In this format, mail programs that
save parts automatically (like what someone mentioned of eudora), the part
can still be verified. It would still have been possible to sign a
multipart/mixed. I am guessing there is a way to write a multipart mixed
to a file here. It is definately not something that is usually done. I
guess that doesn't make much sense. Signing multipart would be about
equivalent to the current for signing the whole message. And for programs
that automatically save attachments, it would not be possible to put
together the multipart to check a signature.

Basically I would like to sign a simple message (text only) by attaching a
signature that would work when checking only the text body (no mime
header). Similar signatures could be made for each part. The signature
should be against the format of the part when saved rather than the format
in the message. I would at least guess that the CRLF would be used when
generating a signature for text parts anyways.

I suppose I could just start making my signatures in this way. People
would not likely understand what to do with a signature, but most people I
write don't use pgp or gpg anyways.

Sorry this is probably not the correct place to discuss this, but I am
unsure where is, and the topic came up on this list.

-walter
Re: Netscape GPG [ In reply to ]
> > Is mutt the only MUA to get that right? PGP/MIME, anyone?
>
> It think so, but I'm not sure.

There's also Gnus, and that's all I think.

Anyway, latest version of elm ME+ supports GPG (but only the old way).

Alex
--
* | Janusz A. "Alex" Urbanowicz, \ Home: <alex@bofh.torun.pl>
--+~| | http://eris.phys.uni.torun.pl/~alex/ \ Work: <alex@bofh.net.pl>
Re: Netscape GPG [ In reply to ]
Re: Netscape GPG [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 8 Jan 2000, Graham Murray wrote:

> Gnus (with mailcrypt) can only handle in-line signatures. It cannot
> either create or read separate PGP/Mime signatures.

Someone should fix this.

Re: Netscape GPG [ In reply to ]

bugs@gnus.org aka Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen