Mailing List Archive

Palmtop crypto
I would love to get PGP or GnuPG working on
a palmtop (I've got a PalmIII).

I keep fantasizing about using my palmtop as a sort
of a smart-card, plugging it into all the computers I use..
I also dream about using it to do secure email where ever
I am. I could keep my keys on the unit, and even do
the decryption on the unit. Key exchange/signing with
a Palm could be done at cocktail parties using the IR port
in seconds.

The palm needs some serious data protection.
I'd like to keep encrypted memos on it.
I have a feeling that the password protection
on powerup is a backdoor-party and a joke.

Its Just a dream... I wonder how feasible it is?

I know a lot of Free Software junkies (like me)
are also big Palm-heads.

--
"The Funk, the whole Funk, and nothing but the Funk."
Billy Donahue
Re: Palmtop crypto [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 22 Dec 1999, Billy Donahue wrote:

[snip]
> The palm needs some serious data protection.
> I'd like to keep encrypted memos on it.

Check out SecureMemo by Certicom:

http://www.palmgear.com/software/showsoftware.cfm?sid=85603719991222031005&prodID=2181

david

--
David L Rubin email: rubin@redconnect.net gpg keyid: E353FBA9
(gpg key not yet publicly available)
Re: Palmtop crypto [ In reply to ]
> I would love to get PGP or GnuPG working on
> a palmtop (I've got a PalmIII).

Depending on what you mean by a "palmtop"...

...there is now a beta release of PGP 2.6.3ia for the Psion Series 5
(and I assume other EPOC32 machines); see:
http://www.pansoftware.com/Epoc32/Pgp.html

--
David Pick
Re: Palmtop crypto [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 22 Dec 1999, David Pick wrote:

> > I would love to get PGP or GnuPG working on
> > a palmtop (I've got a PalmIII).
>
> Depending on what you mean by a "palmtop"...
>
> ...there is now a beta release of PGP 2.6.3ia for the Psion Series 5
> (and I assume other EPOC32 machines); see:
> http://www.pansoftware.com/Epoc32/Pgp.html

Cool.. But who has a Psion outside of the UK? (Just kidding).