Mailing List Archive

Some suggestions to the German translation.
Hi,

I had another look at the messages of gnupg 2.0.8
Some of the messages could be better and I want to make some suggestions.

- Replace "Passphrase/Passphrasen" with "Passwort/Passwörter"
I don't like the word "Passphrase". It sounds strange in German and the
meaning of "Phrase" is quiet negative. The normal word would be "Passwort"

- Replace "Policy" with "Richtlinie"
"Policy" is English.

gpg-agent:
Schreibe im Servermodus Logs auf DATEI
->Schreibe im Servermodus Logs in DATEI

Tastatur und Maus nicht "grabben"
This is not correct. Grabben is no German.

Optionen für eien Passphrase-Policy -> Optionen für Passwort-Richtlinien

Prüfe neue Passphrases gegen die Regelen in DATEI-> Prüfe ein neues Passwort
gegen die Regeln in DATEI

setze die kleinste erlaubte Länge von Passphrasen auf N->
Setze die Mindestlänge von Passwörtern auf N Zeichen

gpgsm:
Schreibe im Servermodus Logs auf DATEI ->
Schreibe im Servermodus Logeinträge in DATEI

dirmngr:
Ãbergehe HTTP CRL Distribution Points
"Distribution Points" is not German and should be translated
with "Verteilungspunkte" or something equal.

Setze das LDAP Timeout auf N Sekunden
"Timeout" is not German. Perhaps "Zeitabschaltung" is betterr.

Regards,
Ludwig Reiter
--
Intevation GmbH, Osnabrück
Registereintrag: Amtsgericht Osnabrück, HR B 18998

Re: Some suggestions to the German translation. [ In reply to ]
Ludwig Reiter wrote:

- Replace "Passphrase/Passphrasen" with "Passwort/Passwörter"
I don't like the word "Passphrase". It sounds strange in German and the
meaning of "Phrase" is quiet negative. The normal word would be "Passwort"

The English term 'passphrase' has the connotation of 'long password
consisting of more than one word'.
Does the German 'passwort' have that extended meaning - or does it imply a
short (eg single word) string?

(PS: Lotus Notes crashed when I first tried to send this - I hope this is
not a resend, but apologize if it is.)

--
Jonathan Leffler (jleffler@us.ibm.com)
STSM, Informix Database Engineering, IBM Information Management
Re: Some suggestions to the German translation. [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 10:53, ludwig.reiter@intevation.de said:

> - Replace "Passphrase/Passphrasen" with "Passwort/Passwörter"
> I don't like the word "Passphrase". It sounds strange in German and the
> meaning of "Phrase" is quiet negative. The normal word would be "Passwort"

We had this discussion years ago. Password is plainly wrong because it
leads users to enter just one word. And well a couple of years ago we
replaced the 10 years old translation "Mantra" by "Passphrase" because
we all agreed that this technical term can't be avoided (cf. PIN).

> Schreibe im Servermodus Logs auf DATEI
> ->Schreibe im Servermodus Logs in DATEI

"auf" is correct German in the field of IT; there are other examples
like "anlisten".

> Tastatur und Maus nicht "grabben"
> This is not correct. Grabben is no German.

There is no translation for it.

> dirmngr:
> Ãbergehe HTTP CRL Distribution Points
> "Distribution Points" is not German and should be translated
> with "Verteilungspunkte" or something equal.

No. That is a technical term. We won't translate this. Look at old
IBM manuals to see how weird such translations can get.

> Setze das LDAP Timeout auf N Sekunden
> "Timeout" is not German. Perhaps "Zeitabschaltung" is betterr.

Timeout is als a technical term.

Shalom-Salam,

Werner

--
Die Gedanken sind frei. Auschnahme regelt ein Bundeschgesetz.

Re: Some suggestions to the German translation. [ In reply to ]
Hi,

Am Montag 28 Januar 2008 14:16:57 schrieb Werner Koch:
> On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 10:53, ludwig.reiter@intevation.de said:
> > - Replace "Passphrase/Passphrasen" with "Passwort/Passwörter"
> > I don't like the word "Passphrase". It sounds strange in German and the
> > meaning of "Phrase" is quiet negative. The normal word would be
> > "Passwort"
ok.

> We had this discussion years ago. Password is plainly wrong because it
> leads users to enter just one word. And well a couple of years ago we
> replaced the 10 years old translation "Mantra" by "Passphrase" because
> we all agreed that this technical term can't be avoided (cf. PIN).
>
> > Schreibe im Servermodus Logs auf DATEI
> > ->Schreibe im Servermodus Logs in DATEI
>
> "auf" is correct German in the field of IT; there are other examples
> like "anlisten".
>
> > Tastatur und Maus nicht "grabben"
> > This is not correct. Grabben is no German.
>
> There is no translation for it.
okay...

> > dirmngr:
> > Ãbergehe HTTP CRL Distribution Points
> > "Distribution Points" is not German and should be translated
> > with "Verteilungspunkte" or something equal.
>
> No. That is a technical term. We won't translate this. Look at old
> IBM manuals to see how weird such translations can get.
>
> > Setze das LDAP Timeout auf N Sekunden
> > "Timeout" is not German. Perhaps "Zeitabschaltung" is betterr.
>
> Timeout is als a technical term.

The change from "Policy" to "Richtlinie" is okay then?
I also think "Mindestlänge" is better then "kleinste erlaubte Länge".
Is this okay either?

Regards,
Ludwig

Re: Some suggestions to the German translation. [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 15:39, ludwig.reiter@intevation.de said:

> The change from "Policy" to "Richtlinie" is okay then?

Hmm, I just checked again and we are actually using Richtline. What
version of GnuPG are you using? It is always useful to use the SVN
version when checking translations.

> I also think "Mindestlänge" is better then "kleinste erlaubte Länge".

Already changed.

Shalom-Salam,

Werner

--
Die Gedanken sind frei. Auschnahme regelt ein Bundeschgesetz.

Re: Some suggestions to the German translation. [ In reply to ]
Hi,

I have a new set of suggestions for the messages of gnupg.

See my patch for details. (For the gnupg/po/de.po file)

Regrads,
Ludwig
Re: Some suggestions to the German translation. [ In reply to ]
Hi,

Am Montag 28 Januar 2008 14:16:57 schrieb Werner Koch:
> On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 10:53, ludwig.reiter@intevation.de said:
> > Schreibe im Servermodus Logs auf DATEI
> > ->Schreibe im Servermodus Logs in DATEI
>
> "auf" is correct German in the field of IT; there are other examples
> like "anlisten".
I had a talk with a customer about this. He is quiet confused by the "auf".
Can you give me a reference about this?

Thx,
Ludwig