Mailing List Archive

pinentry symlink default
I am wondering why pinentry-gtk is the default for the pinentry symlink.
Shouldn't the "best" or most modern variant be the default, that is, gtk-2 or
qt? What advantage does the old gtk variant have? (Considering that
pinentry is mostly used by kmail, the qt variant might be the best default.)

Re: pinentry symlink default [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 5 Dec 2005 23:24:59 +0100, Peter Eisentraut said:

> I am wondering why pinentry-gtk is the default for the pinentry symlink.
> Shouldn't the "best" or most modern variant be the default, that is, gtk-2 or

The most modern one is not always the best one. I am not sure about
gtk+-2 version but it is likely similar to the gtk+-1 version.
However gtk+-1 is all in all smaller and thus less error prone.
I won't use qt for security reasons - it is huge and has the secure
entry widget seems to be very complicated.

Anyway, it is up to a distribution or user to select the symlink.

Shalom-Salam,

Werner