Matej

--
Matej Cepl,
Re: gpg 1.9 for Debian/sarge [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Sep 26, 2004 at 02:13:28PM -0400, Matej Cepl wrote:
> does anybody have a packages of gpg 1.9 for Debian/sarge (or
> Debian/whatever :-)?

you may try this one:
http://apt.intevation.de/deb/dists/woody/aegypten_2_0_0_rc1/binary-i386/gnupg1.9_1.9.10-0.0.0.1_i386.deb

but be aware that we can't provide extensive support for installation
as it is a package series explicitly for a customer of Intevation
and may not even work perfectly on your standard Woody.
Well, you find the source there as well if you know enough about
Debian packaging ... ;-)

Oh, and better don't get all of the KDE packages you find there.
That will most likely and considerably harm your installation.

Jan

--
Jan-Oliver Wagner http://intevation.de/~jan/

Intevation GmbH http://intevation.de/
FreeGIS http://freegis.org/
Re: gpg 1.9 for Debian/sarge [ In reply to ]
Jan-Oliver Wagner wrote:
> on your
> standard Woody.

Sarge

> Oh, and better don't get all of the KDE packages you find
> there. That will most likely and considerably harm your
> installation.

Sure, thanks for the link anyway, I will try it.

Matej

--
Matej Cepl,
Re: gpg 1.9 for Debian/sarge [ In reply to ]
Jan-Oliver Wagner wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 26, 2004 at 02:13:28PM -0400, Matej Cepl wrote:
> you may try this one:
> http://apt.intevation.de/deb/dists/woody/aegypten_2_0_0_rc1/\
> binary-i386/gnupg1.9_1.9.10-0.0.0.1_i386.deb

After trying everything (including this GNUPG package), I finally
done the most brutal thing -- I went to
http://jdurand.home.cern.ch/jdurand/cern_ca_and_mail/, find out
which packages I should downloaded and the I have downloaded
them from http://smurf.noris.de/code/debian/experimental/i386/.
I have installed them, restarted gpg-agent and now it really
seems to work.

--
Matej Cepl,
Re: gpg 1.9 for Debian/sarge [ In reply to ]
Matej Cepl wrote:
> After trying everything (including this GNUPG package), I
> finally done the most brutal thing -- I went to
> http://jdurand.home.cern.ch/jdurand/cern_ca_and_mail/, find out
> which packages I should downloaded and the I have downloaded
> them from http://smurf.noris.de/code/debian/experimental/i386/.
> I have installed them, restarted gpg-agent and now it really
> seems to work.

Well, it doesn't -- I can read/write PGP messages, but only read
S/MIME. When trying to send S/MIME message, I get into some kind
of endless loop (see attached log -- these are just first couple
lines of the file which was 4.5MB when I killed KMail -- the
rest was the same as the beginning, see also a list of installed
packages on my Debian/sarge).

Any thoughts?

Matej

--
Matej Cepl,
Re: gpg 1.9 for Debian/sarge [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 01:39:08 -0400, Matej Cepl said:

> Any thoughts?

You are using an old kgpgcertmanager, IIRC it is now called kleopatra.

Quite some time ago we changed the semantics on how to build the
certificate chain for displaying and Kgpgcertmanager still uses the
old one. That won't be too severe if it had put a limit on the
maximum chain length to detect such a loop. I have always suggested
to do this. A proper way of coding it would be something like:

int maxdepth = 100;

k = key->kobj;
gpgme_key_ref (k);
while ((s = k->chain_id) && k->subkeys && strcmp (s, k->subkeys->fpr) )
{
putc ('\n', fp);
err = gpgme_op_keylist_start (listctx, s, 0);
gpgme_key_release (k);
k = NULL;
if (!err)
err = gpgme_op_keylist_next (listctx, &k);
if (err)
{
fprintf (fp, _("Error finding issuer key: %s\n"),
gpgme_strerror (err));
goto leave;
}
gpgme_op_keylist_end (listctx);

print_key_info (k, fp);
if (!--maxdepth)
{
putc ('\n', fp);
fputs (_("Error: certification chain to long - stopping here\n"),
fp);
break;
}
}

Werner
Re: gpg 1.9 for Debian/sarge [ In reply to ]
Werner Koch wrote:
> You are using an old kgpgcertmanager, IIRC it is now called
> kleopatra.
>
> Quite some time ago we changed the semantics on how to build
> the certificate chain for displaying and Kgpgcertmanager still
> uses the old one. That won't be too severe if it had put a
> limit on the maximum chain length to detect such a loop. I
> have always suggested to do this. A proper way of coding it
> would be something like:

Do you have any idea how to make S/MIME chain work with KMail and
in sarge. Unfortunately, kleopatra is only part of KDE 3.3, and
there is only KDE 3.2.3 on sarge. And I really do not think like
fixing kgpgcertmanager myself (being just a lawyer :-).

Matej

--
Matej Cepl,
Re: gpg 1.9 for Debian/sarge [ In reply to ]
On Sonntag 03 Oktober 2004 02:08, Matej Cepl wrote:
> Werner Koch wrote:
> > You are using an old kgpgcertmanager, IIRC it is now called
> > kleopatra.
> >
> > Quite some time ago we changed the semantics on how to build
> > the certificate chain for displaying and Kgpgcertmanager still
> > uses the old one. That won't be too severe if it had put a
> > limit on the maximum chain length to detect such a loop. I
> > have always suggested to do this. A proper way of coding it
> > would be something like:
>
> Do you have any idea how to make S/MIME chain work with KMail and
> in sarge. Unfortunately, kleopatra is only part of KDE 3.3, and
> there is only KDE 3.2.3 on sarge. And I really do not think like
> fixing kgpgcertmanager myself (being just a lawyer :-).

Hi,

after being absent for a while, I now seem to have some more time again to
play with KDE on debian again. I got a new IBM laptop on monday and installed
sarge on it as the hassle with woody is just too time consuming for me to get
everything running again with a 2.6 kernel etc and as it seems sarge is
coming to a release stage later this year. I fought with the same problem for
getting openpgp to work with kmail under sarge, and based on my prior
experiences, I just compiled gpg 1.9's gpg-agent and copied that
to /usr/local/bin, then changing my configuration files for pinentry-qt and
gpg-agent to get everything to work again (though I don't use S/MIME).

However, I'm still not satisfied as I really miss trying KDE 3.3. That makes
me think it may be worth the effort of packaging 3.3.1 as soon as it comes
out in the next weeks for sarge, doing the same for recent Aegypten packages
and upload it somewhere like I did with woody packages before. Maybe that
will help most people struggling with the same problems under sarge that they
had with woody and running KDE3.

Ralf

> Matej

Ralf Nolden
nolden@kde.org

The K Desktop Environment The KDevelop Project
http://www.kde.org http://www.kdevelop.org
Re: gpg 1.9 for Debian/sarge [ In reply to ]
Ralf Nolden wrote:
> However, I'm still not satisfied as I really miss trying KDE
> 3.3. That makes me think it may be worth the effort of
> packaging 3.3.1 as soon as it comes out in the next weeks for
> sarge, doing the same for recent Aegypten packages and upload
> it somewhere like I did with woody packages before. Maybe that
> will help most people struggling with the same problems under
> sarge that they had with woody and running KDE3.

Wouldn't it be more valuable to go Debian-way and fix all bugs in
unstable which bar KDE 3.3 from getting into sarge? I know that
there used to be a policy against KDE 3.3 in sarge, but it
doesn't seem to be coming anytime soon
(http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.debian.user.news/193 and
particularly
http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2004/09/msg00005.html),
so we could at leat hope to persuade Steve about allowing KDE
3.3 into sarge, if all bugs are fixed.

What about that?

Matej

--
Matej Cepl,
Re: gpg 1.9 for Debian/sarge [ In reply to ]
Matej Cepl <cepl@surfbest.net> writes:

> Do you have any idea how to make S/MIME chain work with KMail and
> in sarge. Unfortunately, kleopatra is only part of KDE 3.3, and
> there is only KDE 3.2.3 on sarge.

All the aegypten stuff in KDE is in kdepim which is still compatible
with kde 3.2. We compile and run it with KDE 3.2.2 because that's the
reference platform of the paying customer of the aegypten project.

Bernhard

--
Intevation GmbH http://intevation.de/
Skencil http://sketch.sourceforge.net/
Re: gpg 1.9 for Debian/sarge [ In reply to ]
On Montag 04 Oktober 2004 11:54, Bernhard Herzog wrote:
> Matej Cepl <cepl@surfbest.net> writes:
> > Do you have any idea how to make S/MIME chain work with KMail and
> > in sarge. Unfortunately, kleopatra is only part of KDE 3.3, and
> > there is only KDE 3.2.3 on sarge.
>
> All the aegypten stuff in KDE is in kdepim which is still compatible
> with kde 3.2. We compile and run it with KDE 3.2.2 because that's the
> reference platform of the paying customer of the aegypten project.

Very unlikely that people will make an exception just for aegypten. Even
gnupg2 is missing in unstable, so I guess that it just won't be a part of
testing anytime soon either.

Ralf

Re: gpg 1.9 for Debian/sarge [ In reply to ]
Ralf Nolden wrote:
>> All the aegypten stuff in KDE is in kdepim which is still
>> compatible with kde 3.2. We compile and run it with KDE 3.2.2
>> because that's the reference platform of the paying customer
>> of the aegypten project.
>
> Very unlikely that people will make an exception just for
> aegypten. Even gnupg2 is missing in unstable, so I guess that
> it just won't be a part of testing anytime soon either.

And would be there some good soul (Bernard? :-) making unofficial
(untested and unmaintained) kleopatra package for testing?

Matej

--
Matej Cepl,