Can anybody tell me what is the recommended way to provide the crypto plugins
right now? Use the development branch of gnupg and libgcrypt-1.2.0? Are there
distributions of pinentry and dirmngr available which will work with
libgcrypt-1.2.0? I'm confused.

--
,_, | Michael Nottebrock | lofi@freebsd.org
(/^ ^\) | FreeBSD - The Power to Serve | http://www.freebsd.org
\u/ | K Desktop Environment on FreeBSD | http://freebsd.kde.org
Re: Help, I'm confused (how to package cryptplug) [ In reply to ]
On Monday 19 April 2004 14:27, Werner Koch wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 13:17:34 +0200, Michael Nottebrock said:
> > gpg-agent and gpgsm into the gnupg-1.9.x versions, the deprecation of
> > newpg and the recent updates to libgcrypt, all those programs have
> > become ever harder to sync.
>
> Frankly, I hope that things will get better now. newpg used to be
> only a transitional package.
>
> > Can anybody tell me what is the recommended way to provide the crypto
> > plugins right now? Use the development branch of gnupg and
>
> For the old Kmail (the one using cryptplug), you definitely need to
> use gpgme-0.3.16. This will still work with the old backend but is of
> paramount importance when using the new backend.

Just to make sure I'm getting this right: gnupg 1.9.x (== the backend?) can be
built with both gpgme-0.3.16 (which I would need to do, since it's the gpgme
version available in ports and I want to provide crypto plugins for the kmail
in KDE_3_2_BRANCH) and gpgme-0.4.x?

Re: Help, I'm confused (how to package cryptplug) [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 13:17:34 +0200, Michael Nottebrock said:

> gpg-agent and gpgsm into the gnupg-1.9.x versions, the deprecation of
> newpg and the recent updates to libgcrypt, all those programs have
> become ever harder to sync.

Frankly, I hope that things will get better now. newpg used to be
only a transitional package.

> Can anybody tell me what is the recommended way to provide the crypto
> plugins right now? Use the development branch of gnupg and

For the old Kmail (the one using cryptplug), you definitely need to
use gpgme-0.3.16. This will still work with the old backend but is of
paramount importance when using the new backend.

Using the new backend is definitley the way to go. That old newpg will
not be maintained anymore. Thus for the *backend*, use the
instructions given at www.gnupg.org/aegypten2/. I can't speak for the
KDE part, though.

> libgcrypt-1.2.0? Are there distributions of pinentry and dirmngr

Yes please use libgcrypt 1.2 all over the palce, it is the first
stable version and thus we will take great care not to break the ABI
or API anymore. (Using 1.1.94 is okay too if you applied the patch I
posted right after the release).

The latest dirmngr and gnupg tarballs should all work fine with
libgcrypt 1.2. pinentry does not need libgcrypt, but you need to take
care which Qt version to use.

Salam-Shalom,

Werner
Re: Help, I'm confused (how to package cryptplug) [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 14:23:08 +0200, Michael Nottebrock said:

> Just to make sure I'm getting this right: gnupg 1.9.x (== the backend?) can be
> built with both gpgme-0.3.16 (which I would need to do, since it's the gpgme

Better to say: Applications linked against gpgme-0.3.16 may be *used*
with GnuPG >= 1.9.x (as well as with the old newpg).

GnuPG >= 1.9 may be used with any GPGME version >= 0.3.16 (including
of course 0.4.x).

> version available in ports and I want to provide crypto plugins for the kmail
> in KDE_3_2_BRANCH) and gpgme-0.4.x?

As I always get the Kmail/KDE versions wrong, Marc should answer
this;-)

Just to make it clear what the backend consists of:

GnuPG 1.9
including the programs gpgsm, gpg2 gpg-agent, scdaemon and gpgconf
(gpg2 is basically an older version of gpg 1.3.x and it is in
general better to use the regular gpg (gnupg 1.2.x or gnupg
1.3.x) - thus we changed the name to gpg2)

Dirmngr

pinentry
Well, actually it is a kind of hermaphrodite as it is used
by the backend but actually be a part of the frontend (visible by
the user)

GPGME is part of the backend from the view of the developers but not
from a user's POV because it is linked to Kmail and other KDE apps.

Shalom-Salam,

Werner
Re: Help, I'm confused (how to package cryptplug) [ In reply to ]
On Monday 19 April 2004 15:01, Werner Koch wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 14:23:08 +0200, Michael Nottebrock said:
> > Just to make sure I'm getting this right: gnupg 1.9.x (== the backend?)
> > can be built with both gpgme-0.3.16 (which I would need to do, since it's
> > the gpgme
>
> Better to say: Applications linked against gpgme-0.3.16 may be *used*
> with GnuPG >= 1.9.x (as well as with the old newpg).
>
> GnuPG >= 1.9 may be used with any GPGME version >= 0.3.16 (including
> of course 0.4.x).

Cool.

> Just to make it clear what the backend consists of:
>
> [...]

Thanks!

Re: Help, I'm confused (how to package cryptplug) [ In reply to ]
On Monday 19 April 2004 14:23, Michael Nottebrock wrote:
> Just to make sure I'm getting this right: gnupg 1.9.x (== the
> backend?) can be built with both gpgme-0.3.16 (which I would need to
> do, since it's the gpgme version available in ports and I want to
> provide crypto plugins for the kmail in KDE_3_2_BRANCH) and
> gpgme-0.4.x?

KDE_3_{1,2}_BRANCH only works with CryptPlugs, which require gpgme
0.3.x.
Note that due to a bug in KMail, you will need a post-KDE 3.1.5 KMail
for the new backend to work (3.2.x is fine), ie. from CVS.

We will do a release of HEAD kdepim as "kdepim 3.3 for KDE 3.2" later
this year, which will include a KMail that doesn't use CryptPlugs
anymore, and which requires gpgme >= 0.4.5.

Hope this helps,
Marc

--
The DMCA is unconstitutional, but they don't care. Until it's ruled
unconstitutional, they've won. If they can scare software companies,