Mailing List Archive

Questions regarding the public keyring editor dialog
Dear all,

I have some questions about the public keyring dialog:

- button "show ownertrust"

Actually this seems to be a toggle, not an
action.
Why is it a button and not a toggle widget?

What is the idea behind toggling the visibility
of the ownertrust?

- button "edit ownertrust"

IMO 'change' would be more precisely than 'edit'.
'edit' always remind me on some more complex action.

- general

buttons are not disable when they don't make sense
(eg. no public key is selected).
The situation can already be improved by selecting
just the first entry in the list when the dialog starts up.
Is it a feature or a bug that no entry is selected at the startup?

- general

The dialog povides no information about who is the owner of the
shown keyring keyring.
Perhaps there should be some information such as 'you are: ...'.

Jan

--
Jan-Oliver Wagner http://intevation.de/~jan/

Intevation GmbH http://intevation.de/
FreeGIS http://freegis.org/
Re: Questions regarding the public keyring editor dialog [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 22 Jun 2000, Jan-Oliver Wagner wrote:

> The dialog povides no information about who is the owner of the
> shown keyring keyring.
> Perhaps there should be some information such as 'you are: ...'.

There is no such thing as a owner of a keyring. Well on Unix systems
you have owners, but GnuPG should not be used on a multi-user box.

I know that this is nice for testing.

Werner

--
Werner Koch OpenPGP key 621CC013
OpenIT GmbH tel +49 211 239577-0
Re: Questions regarding the public keyring editor dialog [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Jun 26, 2000 at 10:45:31AM +0200, Werner Koch wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Jun 2000, Jan-Oliver Wagner wrote:
> > The dialog povides no information about who is the owner of the
> > shown keyring keyring.
> > Perhaps there should be some information such as 'you are: ...'.
>
> There is no such thing as a owner of a keyring. Well on Unix systems
> you have owners, but GnuPG should not be used on a multi-user box.

I was not precise - sorry.

What I meant with 'your are:' is two information: the path
of the public keyring (e.g. /home/jan/.gnupg/pubring.gpg)
and the default signature.

Jan

Re: Questions regarding the public keyring editor dialog [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 26 Jun 2000, Jan-Oliver Wagner wrote:

> What I meant with 'your are:' is two information: the path
> of the public keyring (e.g. /home/jan/.gnupg/pubring.gpg)
> and the default signature.

IMHO, it should go into the About box. gpg --version returns this
information.