3) I can encrypt to myself and another GPG user, and the GPG user can
decrypt, and
4) if I change Alice's key, I still cannot communicate with her.

I believe I generated the key using GPG 0.9.4 but it might have been
0.9.3. If it would be helpful, I can send along an encrypted test message
and both mine and Alice's public keys. I could send along my secret
key too if necessary since it looks like this key is broken regardless.

Mike
Re: bad encrypted session key (bug report?) [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Apr 15, 1999 at 03:23:43AM -0500, Mike Ashley wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a keypair generated using GPG but am having trouble communicating
> with a PGP 6.0 user. I'm able to duplicate the problem at will.
>
> Assuming I am Bob and am communicating with Alice, here is the scenario.
> I encrypt a message to Alice and myself. While I can decrypt the result,
> Alice cannot. The error she gets from PGP 6.0 is "encrypted session
> key is bad".

I'm confirming. This behaviour depends on arguments order :

Example :
user cipher pref key generator
-----------------------------------
Alice 3DES PGP 6.x (?)
Bob Blowfish GnuPG

~/src/gnupg/CVS $ gpg -v --encrypt -r Bob -r Alice < TODO > /dev/null
gpg: This key probably belongs to the owner
gpg: This key belongs to us
gpg: reading from `[stdin]'
gpg: writing to stdout
gpg: ELG-E/3DES encrypted for: xxxxxxxx Bob
gpg: ELG-E/3DES encrypted for: yyyyyyyy Alice

This one is OK, both PGP and GnuPG will decrypt it.

~/src/gnupg/CVS $ gpg -v --encrypt -r Alice -r Bob < TODO > /dev/null
gpg: This key belongs to us
gpg: This key probably belongs to the owner
gpg: reading from `[stdin]'
gpg: writing to stdout
gpg: ELG-E/BLOWFISH encrypted for: yyyyyyyy Alice
gpg: ELG-E/BLOWFISH encrypted for: xxxxxxxx Bob

Arg ! PGP 6.x doesn't know anything about Blowfish :-(

Even stranger : if Alice's key has CAST5 in its preference, the
message will always be encrypted with CAST5, no matter which recipient
is the last on the command-line.

--
RĂ©mi <rguyom@mail.dotcom.fr> | Don't waste your computer's time :
PGP-encrypt anything important: | http://www.distributed.net/