s/Chartago/RSA/

--
ceterum censeo RSA esse delendam
Re: It is Latin [ In reply to ]
Werner Koch dixit:
> For those who have asked me about my sig:
>
> Senator Cato used to close his talks in the ancient Rome with
>
> By the way, I think Chartago should be destroyed
>
> s/Chartago/RSA/
>

> --
> ceterum censeo RSA esse delendam

Delenda est Cartago = Carthago (must) be destroyed

didn't Scipio say that?

--
Un saludo,

Horacio
homega@vlc.servicom.es

------------------------------
Quis custodiet ipsos custodet?
------------------------------
Re: It is Latin [ In reply to ]
Stainless Steel Rat dixit:

> | didn't Scipio say that?
>
> Scipio (the Elder) is known mostly for the quote, 'and someday Rome', as he
> watched the destruction of Carthage (Cartago).

Sorry, I meant Scipio "The African".

--
Un saludo,

Horacio
homega@vlc.servicom.es

------------------------------
Re: It is Latin [ In reply to ]
no, it was cicero ("ceterum censeo cathargo esse delendam").

andreas
Re: It is Latin [ In reply to ]
Stainless Steel Rat <ratinox@peorth.gweep.net> writes:
>* homega@vlc.servicom.es Fri, 19 Feb 1999 22:30:54 +0100
>> ceterum censeo RSA esse delendam
>|Delenda est Cartago = Carthago (must) be destroyed
>
>Isn't it 'Cartogo delenda est'?

If you simply state the fact that Carthago must be destroyed, it is
"Carthago delenda est". On the other hand, in the context of
"Something must be done about Carthago. But what? - It must be
destroyed!", "Delenda est Carthago" is perfectly correct.

HTH.

Ulf
Re: It is Latin [ In reply to ]
Stainless Steel Rat <ratinox@peorth.gweep.net> writes:
>* homega@vlc.servicom.es Fri, 19 Feb 1999 22:30:54 +0100
>> ceterum censeo RSA esse delendam
>|Delenda est Cartago = Carthago (must) be destroyed
>
>Isn't it 'Cartogo delenda est'?

This is the real reason for the fall of Rome, it wasn't the lack of \0 to
terminate their strings but the fact that they were so busy debating Latin
grammar that they never noticed the barbarians coming over the walls.

Peter.
Re: It is Latin [ In reply to ]
On 1999-02-20 12:48:15 +0100, Andreas Jellinghaus wrote:
> no, it was cicero ("ceterum censeo cathargo esse delendam").

Since we are picking nits here anyway: Ceterum censeo Catharginem
esse delendam.

tlr
--
http://home.pages.de/~roessler/
Re: It is Latin [ In reply to ]
> >> ceterum censeo RSA esse delendam
> >|Delenda est Cartago = Carthago (must) be destroyed
> >
> >Isn't it 'Cartogo delenda est'?

Cato (not Scipio) the Elder was said to have ended every speech of his
in the Senate, regardless of topic, with the observation "Carthago
delenda est" ("We should destroy Carthage!"). He got his wish with the
end of the Third Punic War, when Carthage was conquered, razed, and
its fields sown with salt. Hell, there aren't even very many *ruins*
left -- just a few minor excavations along the beachfront in Tunisia.

--
Peter King king.4@osu.edu
Philosophy Department