just "es"?

--
David Ellement
Re: [0.4.4] nls compile problem [ In reply to ]
On 98.11.25 David Ellement pressed the following keys:

> When I configure with nls enabled, the compile in the tools directory fails
> because it is unable to find libintl.h. As a workaround, I re-ran
> configure, adding 'CPPFLAGS=-I../intl' to the environment. (The system is
> HPUX 10.20, with gcc).
>

> Is there a reason the Spanish localization messages use "es_ES" rather than
> just "es"?

Is it perheaps because there are other Spanish speking countries, that have
a little bit different Spanish than in Spain? Take Argentina for example.

Reptile

--
------------------<Gadzinka>--<http://reptile.eu.org/>--<Cyber Service>--
--[.Every old idea will be proposed again with a different name and]------
Re: [0.4.4] nls compile problem [ In reply to ]
On 981125, at 23:40:52, Robert Richard George 'reptile' Wal wrote:
> On 98.11.25 David Ellement pressed the following keys:
> > Is there a reason the Spanish localization messages use "es_ES" rather than
> > just "es"?
>
> Is it perheaps because there are other Spanish speking countries, that have
> a little bit different Spanish than in Spain? Take Argentina for example.

What comes first, the language or the country? Would the Mexican variant
of Spanish be handled as es_MX or mx_ES?

--
David Ellement
Re: [0.4.4] nls compile problem [ In reply to ]
David Ellement <ellement@sdd.hp.com> wrote:

>Is there a reason the Spanish localization messages use "es_ES" rather than
>just "es"?

Of course it is. It's because it's Spanish from Spain :)
I could use just "es" and pretend that the rest of the Spanish speaking
world use the vocabulary we use here. But it will be a bit "optimistic",
don't you think?

--
2:343/143.30@fidonet.org | http://www.euskalnet.net/ulusa/
Re: [0.4.4] nls compile problem [ In reply to ]
On 98.11.26 David Ellement pressed the following keys:

> On 981125, at 23:40:52, Robert Richard George 'reptile' Wal wrote:
> > On 98.11.25 David Ellement pressed the following keys:
> > > Is there a reason the Spanish localization messages use "es_ES"
> > > rather than just "es"?
> >
> > Is it perheaps because there are other Spanish speking countries, that have
> > a little bit different Spanish than in Spain? Take Argentina for example.
>
> What comes first, the language or the country? Would the Mexican variant
> of Spanish be handled as es_MX or mx_ES?

Language goes first, so es_MX. Take RedHat Linux 5.1 and English. There are
several language files for en_GB, en_US, en_CA, en_IE, en_DK, and (my
favourite ;) en_RN. The first four are easy, this is ISO country code. If
fifth is also ISO does it mean English from Denmark[1]? Sixth is just an
English as used by Rednecks ;)

Reptile

[1] Yup, source says it is.

--