NetTek Ltd tel +44-171 483 1169 fax +44-181 444 6103
Flat 2, 43 Howitt Road, Belsize Park, London NW3 4LU
Epage steve-pager@gbnet.net [body of text only]
Re: Java version [ In reply to ]
Steve Kennedy writes:
Just wondered, is anybody working on a Java version of GPG ?

Ew. I hope not.

rone
--
Ron Echeverri Numerical Aerospace Simulation Facility
DSS/Usenet Administrator NASA Ames Research Center
Re: Java version [ In reply to ]
Ron Echeverri <rone@B1FF.nas.nasa.gov> writes:

> Steve Kennedy writes:
> Just wondered, is anybody working on a Java version of GPG ?
>
> Ew. I hope not.

:-)

If someone needs a Java Version he should use popen(3) or
something similiar and create some classes to handle gpg.

Werner
Re: Java version [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Nov 03, 1998 at 09:09:40PM +0100, Werner Koch wrote:

> Ron Echeverri <rone@B1FF.nas.nasa.gov> writes:
> > Steve Kennedy writes:
> > Just wondered, is anybody working on a Java version of GPG ?
> > Ew. I hope not.
> If someone needs a Java Version he should use popen(3) or
> something similiar and create some classes to handle gpg.

Well this isn't quite feasible :(

I'm involved with developing an E-Commerce system, the back-end
runs on UNIX (though it could run on any platform) and we were
thinking of encrypting the merchant transactions using something
like GPG.

The client (which the merchant runs to design the catalogue,
upload catalogue data, download transaction logs etc) is written
in Java so it will be multiplatform. To download their transaction
logs it would be nice to have a GPG Java version.

Looks like we maay have to use PGP :(

Steve

Re: Java version [ In reply to ]
Steve Kennedy writes:
I'm involved with developing an E-Commerce system, the back-end runs
on UNIX (though it could run on any platform) and we were thinking
of encrypting the merchant transactions using something like GPG.
The client (which the merchant runs to design the catalogue, upload
catalogue data, download transaction logs etc) is written in Java so
it will be multiplatform. To download their transaction logs it
would be nice to have a GPG Java version. Looks like we maay have
to use PGP :(

I would think that, with PGP, there would be a huge overhead cost for
the commerce server. You might want to look at SSLeay to see if
there's a better way to do it. I would not want to use GPG right now
for that particular purpose simply because it is still an unfinished
product.

rone