Mailing List Archive

[0.4.2] Imported PGP5 keys: multiple recipients, trust values
Hello *,

I've encountered some weird problem when using keys imported from PGP5
and encoding messages for multiple recipients. I don't know whether
this is a known issue or has been discussed before; so I'll illustrate
the problem using an example.

Let's suppose I've imported a sec/pub key pair from PGP5, whose user ID
is "foo", and a second public key, named "bar" (both are DSS/DH
keys). Used separately, each of those keys works just fine, but if I
try to encode a message using both keys, say

$ echo test | gpg -r foo -r bar -e | gpg

GPG (as expected) prompts me to enter my secret key's ("foo") pass
phrase, and then dies with an error:

gpg: public key decryption failed: Secret key not available
gpg: decryption failed: Secret key not available

However, if I change the order of the given key ID's, so as the key
whose secret counterpart I possess is specified last:

$ echo test | gpg -r bar -r foo -e | gpg

decoding succeeds.

Has anyone experienced anything similar or any suspicions as to what
this behaviour might be caused by?

On something else that's related to PGP-imported keys, too: I've
imported a DSS/DH PGP5 key which is signed by an old-style RSA key.
Even though I've signed the key (using another imported, ultimately
trusted key), GPG fails to calculate a trust value for it. May this be
due to the fact that GPG complains as follows when checking the key's
signatures?

1 signature not checked due to a missing key

If so, is there a way to remove this superfluous signature?

-Marco
Re: [0.4.2] Imported PGP5 keys: multiple recipients, trust values [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Oct 27, 1998 at 10:23:46PM +0100, Marco Goetze wrote:
> Has anyone experienced anything similar or any suspicions as to what
> this behaviour might be caused by?

Fixed in the CVS version.

> On something else that's related to PGP-imported keys, too: I've
> imported a DSS/DH PGP5 key which is signed by an old-style RSA key.
> Even though I've signed the key (using another imported, ultimately
> trusted key), GPG fails to calculate a trust value for it. May this be
> due to the fact that GPG complains as follows when checking the key's
> signatures?
>
> 1 signature not checked due to a missing key
>
> If so, is there a way to remove this superfluous signature?

--edit-keys should let you remove it.

--
Brian Moore | "The Zen nature of a spammer resembles
Sysadmin, C/Perl Hacker | a cockroach, except that the cockroach