On a totally off topic sidenote, I was reading Applied Cryptography and
flipped to the part in the back that has the source code and was reading
the blowfish source. I turned the page and in between the pages was a
little strip of paper with a sticker on it. On one side of the sticker is
a barcode and a number. On the other (sticky) side is a foil etching in
red, silver, and copper. Looks like a circuit board or something. Am I
being tracked by the NSA?

Kirk Fort
Re: can't handle public algo 1 [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Oct 09, 1998 at 07:15:15PM -0400, Kirk Fort wrote:
> On a totally off topic sidenote, I was reading Applied Cryptography and
> flipped to the part in the back that has the source code and was reading
> the blowfish source. I turned the page and in between the pages was a
> little strip of paper with a sticker on it. On one side of the sticker is
> a barcode and a number. On the other (sticky) side is a foil etching in
> red, silver, and copper. Looks like a circuit board or something. Am I
> being tracked by the NSA?

Close: that's a tuned circuit that's used by the bookstore to flag
a book. They pass the books over a device that burns up the circuit so
that you can get out of the door without triggering alarms.

Despite popular opinion, they're not placed in all books: just the ones
that are shoplifting targets (either by value or subject), so you
usually don't have one.

It's odd for it to be between the pages: usually it's stuck to the
binding of the pages in that gap between the bind and the cover.

--
Brian Moore | "The Zen nature of a spammer resembles
Sysadmin, C/Perl Hacker | a cockroach, except that the cockroach
Re: can't handle public algo 1 [ In reply to ]
Kirk Fort <kirk@patrohn.com> writes:

> When I start up 'gpg -vv' It gives an error message
>
> gpg: can't handle public key algorithm 1

This is RSA and it is only a warning.

> I have two secret keys on my keyring and both of them were generated under
> gpg. I am also still having trouble importing keys made by gpg 4.0.x into
> pgp 6.0 (others?). It seemed to work in 0.3.5, but quit in 0.4.0 and still

ASCII armored? Hmmm, g10/armor.c did not change between 0.3.5 and
0.4.0.

> trouble importing and using pgp keys in gpg. Im still going to try to do
> some more tests to see if pgp can decrypt and verify everything that gpg

I think there is a problem with the ascii armor, Kirk, can you please
post a ascii publick key which you can't import.

Werner
Re: can't handle public algo 1 [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 10 Oct 1998, Werner Koch wrote:

> This is RSA and it is only a warning.

hmm, It only shows up under 'gpg -v' but maybe it shouldn't complain about
not having an algorithm it doesn't come with. Or at least let people know
its talking about rsa

> ASCII armored? Hmmm, g10/armor.c did not change between 0.3.5 and
> 0.4.0.
Ascii armored and non - asciiarmored. I had an old key that I believe was
made using 0.3.4 and I didn't have trouble getting it to import. I
revoked it and when I revoked it the key got corrupted. It still imports,
but everyone says its messed up. Sorta funny to me how a corrupted key
imports under pgp but a new key doesn't.

> I think there is a problem with the ascii armor, Kirk, can you please
> post a ascii publick key which you can't import.

Attached is a public key which cannot import into pgp 6.0 . Both an ascii
and non-ascii version. Pgp gives pretty much the same warning for both.
"The selected file does not contain any valid PGP keys" Thanks

Kirk
Re: can't handle public algo 1 [ In reply to ]
[CCed to the list]

Kirk Fort <kirk@patrohn.com> writes:

> yeah, that worked. Did you do anything other then use linux instead of
> freeBSD? I still can't get mine to work.
> Kirk

I've imported your key and then exported it with "--no-comment".
PGP (should) complains about the private/experimental packet types of
OpenPGP which I have to use for comments. I think I handle their
new extensions correct (you might see a long hexdump if you run
gpg in verbose mode).

I think I disable the comments in the next version.

Werner