Mailing List Archive

Re: G10: The Free PGP Replacement
Ian Brown <I.Brown@cs.ucl.ac.uk> writes:

> Werner, I presume you are writing your version in C. If you and Lutz
> were able to merge your two versions, and had support for ALL the
> cryptosystems mentioned in the OpenPGP draft, the result would be

I guess I should talk to Lutz.

For now it´s mainly 2.6 compatible (RFC1991) because I noticed OpenPGP
too late. I use these one-pass packets, because they are a good idea.
The other stuff is a little bit weird:

* Why do they reuse existing (RFC1991) packets (comment), where there
are a lot of new packet numbers available.

* I don't think the new length headers make any sense; much to complicated.

I use simple 2 byte length headers when I have to process data from a
pipe and set the length bits of the CTB to 0 (conflicts with compressed
packets; may need the help of a marker packet or something to enable this
new encoding). The advantage of this method is, that it can be handled on
a very low level (write the length header just the buffer is flushed)
because it can be any abitrary positive value.

> In other fora, most of the people on this list have been getting
> increasingly pissed off with PGP Inc. This could be the start of a real
> alternative to the GAKware Network Associates seem determined to pump

I noticed that there is not much traffic on the open-pgp list anymore;
will there be a new draft available or was this OpenPGP mainly driven
by PGP Inc and now canceled?

--
Werner Koch, Duesseldorf - werner.koch@guug.de - PGP keyID: 0C9857A5
Re: G10: The Free PGP Replacement [ In reply to ]
Werner Koch wrote:

> > In other fora, most of the people on this list have been getting
> > increasingly pissed off with PGP Inc. This could be the start of a real
> > alternative to the GAKware Network Associates seem determined to pump
>
> I noticed that there is not much traffic on the open-pgp list anymore;
> will there be a new draft available or was this OpenPGP mainly driven
> by PGP Inc and now canceled?

I think that the main reason that the list is dead these last 3 weeks is
that there was an IETF meeting about 2 weeks ago now, and everyone is
either wondering what happened (i.e., there isn't much point in reading
the draft if it has been rewritten), or was there, so don't need to
wonder. And now it's Xmas, so...

It's just unfortunate. OTOH it's also a result of the bad structural
makeup of the group, but that's a whole other ballgame as they say in
the 'states.

--
iang systemics.com

FP: 1189 4417 F202 5DBD 5DF3 4FCD 3685 FDDE on pgp.com