Say i wanted to install vpopmail, naturally i'd #emerge vpopmail, but what
if i wanted to add configuration options... such as --with-mysql for mysql
support. Would I directly edit the ebuild?

Re: emerge ./configure [ In reply to ]
On Friday 29 October 2004 02:59 pm, Chris Godwin wrote:
> Say i wanted to install vpopmail, naturally i'd #emerge vpopmail, but what
> if i wanted to add configuration options... such as --with-mysql for mysql
> support. Would I directly edit the ebuild?

Stop replying to email's and starting a new email.. Click on the to address
normally brings up a nice fresh composer screen.

just add mysql to use..

See ebuild:
mysql? ( >=dev-db/mysql-3.23* )"

Jeff
Re: emerge ./configure [ In reply to ]
On Fri, October 29, 2004 3:01 pm, Jeff Smelser said:
> On Friday 29 October 2004 02:59 pm, Chris Godwin wrote:
>> Say i wanted to install vpopmail, naturally i'd #emerge vpopmail, but
>> what
>> if i wanted to add configuration options... such as --with-mysql for
>> mysql
>> support. Would I directly edit the ebuild?
>
> Stop replying to email's and starting a new email.. Click on the to
> address
> normally brings up a nice fresh composer screen.
>
> just add mysql to use..
>
> See ebuild:
> mysql? ( >=dev-db/mysql-3.23* )"
>
> Jeff

Sure thing about the replying.

I know how to install mysql server and client. My question was about
compiling mysql support in vpopmail. Actually it wasn't, my question was
how to add configuration flags to an ebuild. Do I edit the ebuild
directly?

--
Chris Godwin
http://www.artimador.com

Re: emerge ./configure [ In reply to ]
> I know how to install mysql server and client. My question was about
> compiling mysql support in vpopmail. Actually it wasn't

I've had a similar problem with emacs: leim not installed.

> my question was how to add configuration flags to an ebuild.
> Do I edit the ebuild directly?

What about

USE="mysql" emerge vpopmail

?

Sergio

Re: emerge ./configure [ In reply to ]
Chris Godwin wrote:
> On Fri, October 29, 2004 3:01 pm, Jeff Smelser said:
>
>>On Friday 29 October 2004 02:59 pm, Chris Godwin wrote:
>>
>>>Say i wanted to install vpopmail, naturally i'd #emerge vpopmail, but
>>>what
>>>if i wanted to add configuration options... such as --with-mysql for
>>>mysql
>>>support. Would I directly edit the ebuild?
>>
>>Stop replying to email's and starting a new email.. Click on the to
>>address
>>normally brings up a nice fresh composer screen.
>>
>>just add mysql to use..
>>
>>See ebuild:
>> mysql? ( >=dev-db/mysql-3.23* )"
>>
>>Jeff
>>

> Sure thing about the replying.
>
> I know how to install mysql server and client. My question was about
> compiling mysql support in vpopmail. Actually it wasn't, my question was
> how to add configuration flags to an ebuild. Do I edit the ebuild
> directly?

No, why?

As you can see

[ebuild N ] net-mail/vpopmail-5.4.6-r1 -clearpasswd -ipalias -mysql
415 kB

vpopmail already includes the possibility of compiling with mysql support.

This is what USE flags are about. The writer of the ebuild has already
checked all the configuration options, and setting the appropriate use
flags feeds these options to ./configure.

So, as posted above, if you set the +mysql use flag, mysql becomes a
dependency of vpopmail, and the following option is passed to the ebuild:

use mysql \
&& myopts="${myopts} --enable-auth-module=mysql \
--enable-libs=/usr/include/mysql \
--enable-libdir=/usr/lib/mysql \
--enable-mysql-logging=y \
--enable-auth-logging=y \
--enable-valias=y \
--enable-mysql-replication=n \
--enable-mysql-limits"

All done, automatically. That's what Gentoo does.

You probably want to add mysql to your use flags in /etc/make.conf, but
if you have some reason not to do that, you can set mysql as a use flag
for vpopmail alone by adding it to /etc/portage/package.use as follows:

net-mail/vpopmail mysql

HTH,
Holly

Re: emerge ./configure [ In reply to ]
On Fri, October 29, 2004 3:30 pm, Holly Bostick said:
> Chris Godwin wrote:

>>>Stop replying to email's and starting a new email.. Click on the to
>>>address
>>>normally brings up a nice fresh composer screen.
>>>
>>>just add mysql to use..
>>>
>>>See ebuild:
>>> mysql? ( >=dev-db/mysql-3.23* )"
>>>
>>>Jeff
>>>

>> Sure thing about the replying.
>>
>> I know how to install mysql server and client. My question was about
>> compiling mysql support in vpopmail. Actually it wasn't, my question was
>> how to add configuration flags to an ebuild. Do I edit the ebuild
>> directly?
>>

> No, why?
>
> As you can see
>
> [ebuild N ] net-mail/vpopmail-5.4.6-r1 -clearpasswd -ipalias -mysql
> 415 kB
>
> vpopmail already includes the possibility of compiling with mysql support.
>
> This is what USE flags are about. The writer of the ebuild has already
> checked all the configuration options, and setting the appropriate use
> flags feeds these options to ./configure.
>
> So, as posted above, if you set the +mysql use flag, mysql becomes a
> dependency of vpopmail, and the following option is passed to the ebuild:
>
> use mysql \
> && myopts="${myopts} --enable-auth-module=mysql \
> --enable-libs=/usr/include/mysql \
> --enable-libdir=/usr/lib/mysql \
> --enable-mysql-logging=y \
> --enable-auth-logging=y \
> --enable-valias=y \
> --enable-mysql-replication=n \
> --enable-mysql-limits"
>
> All done, automatically. That's what Gentoo does.
>
> You probably want to add mysql to your use flags in /etc/make.conf, but
> if you have some reason not to do that, you can set mysql as a use flag
> for vpopmail alone by adding it to /etc/portage/package.use as follows:
>
> net-mail/vpopmail mysql
>
> HTH,
> Holly

Thank you. I was wondering about that. I thought use flags were only for
emerge system or world. I didn't know. I'll google up one know that I have
a new perspective.

--
Chris Godwin
http://www.artimador.com

Re: emerge ./configure [ In reply to ]
Chris Godwin wrote:

>>>I know how to install mysql server and client. My question was about
>>>compiling mysql support in vpopmail. Actually it wasn't, my question was
>>>how to add configuration flags to an ebuild. Do I edit the ebuild
>>>directly?
>>>

>>No, why?

<snip>
>>vpopmail already includes the possibility of compiling with mysql support.
>>
>>This is what USE flags are about. The writer of the ebuild has already
>>checked all the configuration options, and setting the appropriate use
>>flags feeds these options to ./configure.
>>
>>So, as posted above, if you set the +mysql use flag, mysql becomes a
>>dependency of vpopmail, and the following option is passed to the ebuild:
<snip>
>>All done, automatically. That's what Gentoo does.

<snip>

> Thank you. I was wondering about that. I thought use flags were only for
> emerge system or world. I didn't know. I'll google up one know that I have
> a new perspective.

No, USE flags are for each and every ebuild, individually (and
variously, since all USE flags don't apply to all ebuilds, just the ones
that they need). That is what makes Gentoo so customiseable. If you want
vpopmail with mysql, and I don't need mysql support in my vpopmail, we
can both have what we want or need, unlike under pre-compiled binary
distros, where they have already decided what to compile (which means
one of us will be unhappy, since either I will have mysql support that I
don't need, or you won't have mysql support that you do need), and also
better than pure source distros, where you really would have to go
through ./configure to find what options you need, and figure out how to
set them.

Best of both worlds (source compiles, and customizeable automation).

Welcome to the magic of Gentoo.

Holly