++ kevin

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD

Re: Portage: binaries seen as config files [ In reply to ]
On 2004-10-29 08:23:12 -0700, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
> I just did some new emerges, and I'm getting very odd things when
> running etc-update: binaries being considered as config files, and I'm
> given the choice to accept, reject or merge them. Fat chance.
>
> One got by me before I fully realized what was going on, but right now
> I'm looking at
>
> 1) /etc/X11/xdm/chooser
> /etc/X11/xdm/._cfg0000_chooser
> 2) /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb/xkbcomp
> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb/._cfg0000_xkbcomp
>
> These are both binary files. Is this not broken behavior?

They are considered configuration files because their directories are
listed in the CONFIG_PROTECT variable:

[12:02:33 dwc@fortuna ~]$ portageq config_protect
/etc /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb /usr/kde/2/share/config /usr/kde/3.3/env
/usr/kde/3.3/share/config /usr/kde/3.3/shutdown /usr/kde/3/share/config
/usr/lib/mozilla/defaults/pref /usr/share/config /var/qmail/control

CONFIG_PROTECT is set by /etc/make.globals. Directories are added by
various files in /etc/env.d. (See emerge --help config for more.)

Those directories also contain valid configuration files, so it makes
sense for Portage to protect them. The fact that binaries are also
protected is just a side effect. I always let etc-update install the
new version of those files.

--
Daniel Westermann-Clark

Re: Portage: binaries seen as config files [ In reply to ]
At 2004-10-29T08:23:12-0700, Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@gmail.com> wrote:
> I just did some new emerges, and I'm getting very odd things
> when running etc-update: binaries being considered as config
> files, and I'm given the choice to accept, reject or merge them.
> Fat chance.
>
> One got by me before I fully realized what was going on, but
> right now I'm looking at
>
> 1) /etc/X11/xdm/chooser
> /etc/X11/xdm/._cfg0000_chooser
> 2) /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb/xkbcomp
> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb/._cfg0000_xkbcomp
>
> These are both binary files. Is this not broken behavior?

The broken behavior is Xorg putting binary executibles under /etc and
configuration files under /usr/X11R6/lib. It doesn't seem to bug anybody
enough to patch it tho.

--
Batou: Hey, Major... You ever hear of "human rights"?
Kusanagi: I understand the concept, but I've never seen it in action.