Mailing List Archive

Locale config in gtk+/gtk+2 apps?
After a recent intstall on an x86 platform, applications
associated with gtk/gtk2 seem to be using Cyrillic fonts
for frames, drop down menus, and pop-up menus.

Text inside the frames is my normal locale - english.

I've referenced the forums, any docs I could find on gtk/gtk2,
looked at bugzilla, hit the gtk/gtk2 web site. Hit the
sylpheed and sylpheed-claws web site.

I've done an emerge -e sylpheed and re-built the toolchain,
but it doesn't change. I've loooked in /etc/env.d/ for
a place to set the locale for gtk, but no luck there.
I've deleted all the associated "." files for the apps.

Since I'm not forming the question properly to get the
information, does anyone know how to fix this or where
the documentation is?

fwiw - the apps I see this on are - dillo, alsaplayer, sylpheed,
and sylpheed-claws.

Thanks,

Bob
-

Re: Locale config in gtk+/gtk+2 apps? [ In reply to ]
Bob Sanders wrote:
> After a recent intstall on an x86 platform, applications
> associated with gtk/gtk2 seem to be using Cyrillic fonts
> for frames, drop down menus, and pop-up menus.
>
> Text inside the frames is my normal locale - english.
>
> I've referenced the forums, any docs I could find on gtk/gtk2,
> looked at bugzilla, hit the gtk/gtk2 web site. Hit the
> sylpheed and sylpheed-claws web site.
>
> I've done an emerge -e sylpheed and re-built the toolchain,
> but it doesn't change. I've loooked in /etc/env.d/ for
> a place to set the locale for gtk, but no luck there.
> I've deleted all the associated "." files for the apps.
>
> Since I'm not forming the question properly to get the
> information, does anyone know how to fix this or where
> the documentation is?
>
> fwiw - the apps I see this on are - dillo, alsaplayer, sylpheed,
> and sylpheed-claws.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bob
> -

Are you sure this problem is caused by the locale setting, rather than
the character encoding? Could something be set to use ISO-8859-5
(Cyrillic) rather than ISO-8859-1 (Western, US English) or 8859-15
(Western, English with Euro)?

Holly

Re: Locale config in gtk+/gtk+2 apps? [ In reply to ]
> Bob Sanders wrote:
> >After a recent intstall on an x86 platform, applications
> >associated with gtk/gtk2 seem to be using Cyrillic fonts
> >for frames, drop down menus, and pop-up menus.
> >
> >Text inside the frames is my normal locale - english.
> >
> >-
>
> Are you sure this problem is caused by the locale setting, rather than
> the character encoding? Could something be set to use ISO-8859-5
> (Cyrillic) rather than ISO-8859-1 (Western, US English) or 8859-15
> (Western, English with Euro)?
>
> Holly

I've tried finding that as well. The logs in .sylpheed
indicate it's using multiple languages. But I haven't
found where those characteristics get set. Perhaps
is a USE flag. I just solved on of those today. Only
took about a week of trial and error.

Thus my asking as to where - in gtk/gtk2, imlib/imlib2,
etc. What's the common factor. The few Gnome apps and
KDE apps I run are fine. So I don't seem to need a full
Gnome/KDE control panel setup.

I set locale in GDM (I was using Entrance, but that doesn't
set permissions on /dev/snd preoperly at login) and
that doesn't seem to be picked up. So it's back to
trying to isolate USE flags I guess. (Well...I could
try reading the source...)

Bob
-