I'm sure this must be a common developer's tool.

Thanks,
Mark

Re: View file differences side by side [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 09:40:11 -0700 Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com>
wrote:
| Is there a simple app that pops up two windows and will display the
| differences in two files side by side, aligning lines that are common?
|
| Some use of color might be helpful.
|
| I'm not a programmer and an looking at changes made in large Wine
| files.
|
| I'm sure this must be a common developer's tool.

gvimdiff

--
Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Vim, Fluxbox, Sparc, Mips)
Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm
Re: View file differences side by side [ In reply to ]
Mark Knecht wrote:
> Is there a simple app that pops up two windows and will display the
> differences in two files side by side, aligning lines that are common?
>
> Some use of color might be helpful.
>
> I'm not a programmer and an looking at changes made in large Wine files.
>
> I'm sure this must be a common developer's tool.
>
> Thanks,
> Mark

You mean, something like

meld
easydiff
kdiff3
xxdiff
gtkdiff

?

I've used meld, it's pretty good, but I've now gone back to colordiff
(using as default for etc-update). If you want to diff files not related
to etc-update, I can recommend meld at least, and easydiff looks OK as well.

HTH,
Holly

Re: View file differences side by side [ In reply to ]
Holly & Ciaran,
Thanks for the ideas. They are exactly what I need. I chose xxdiff
since it appeared to be very light weight. It's installed and doing
what I need.

I may try one of the nicer Gnome or KDE ones later, but for now
this is perfect.

Thanks!

Cheers,
Mark

Re: View file differences side by side [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 28 Oct 2004, Mark Knecht wrote:

> Holly & Ciaran,
> Thanks for the ideas. They are exactly what I need. I chose xxdiff
> since it appeared to be very light weight. It's installed and doing
> what I need.
>
> I may try one of the nicer Gnome or KDE ones later, but for now
> this is perfect.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Cheers,
> Mark
>

> On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 18:49:36 +0200, Holly Bostick <motub@planet.nl> wrote:
> > Mark Knecht wrote:
> >

> > > Is there a simple app that pops up two windows and will display the
> > > differences in two files side by side, aligning lines that are common?
> > >
> > > Some use of color might be helpful.
> > >
> > > I'm not a programmer and an looking at changes made in large Wine files.
> > >
> > > I'm sure this must be a common developer's tool.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Mark
> > >

> > You mean, something like
> >
> > meld
> > easydiff
> > kdiff3
> > xxdiff
> > gtkdiff
> >
> > ?
> >
> > I've used meld, it's pretty good, but I've now gone back to colordiff
> > (using as default for etc-update). If you want to diff files not related
> > to etc-update, I can recommend meld at least, and easydiff looks OK as well.
> >
> > HTH,
> > Holly
> >
> > --

If lightweightness is a point of view for you, then you could try
vimdiff. This is a tool delivered with vim. You can use it on console or
an xterm. Extremely fast even with files what contains thousands of
lines. You can change colorschemes and do anything what you can do with
vim. The config file of etc-update contains the appropiate settings to
use it for etc-update.
I DON'T want to flame, it's just a suggestion.

Cheers,
Tamas Sarga
--
A day is 24 hours long. Egy nap 24 órából áll.
A box of beer contains 24 bottles. Egy tálcán 24 üveg sör van.

Re: View file differences side by side [ In reply to ]
Le oct octobre à 15:05:44 Tamas Sarga <tamas@wansite.homelinux.net> a écrit notamment:

> On Thu, 28 Oct 2004, Mark Knecht wrote:
>

>> Holly & Ciaran,
>> Thanks for the ideas. They are exactly what I need. I chose xxdiff
>> since it appeared to be very light weight. It's installed and doing
>> what I need.
>>
>> I may try one of the nicer Gnome or KDE ones later, but for now
>> this is perfect.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Mark

>> > You mean, something like
>> >
>> > meld
>> > easydiff
>> > kdiff3
>> > xxdiff
>> > gtkdiff
>> >
>> > ?
>> >
>> > I've used meld, it's pretty good, but I've now gone back to colordiff
>> > (using as default for etc-update). If you want to diff files not related
>> > to etc-update, I can recommend meld at least, and easydiff looks OK as well.
>> >
>> > HTH,
>> > Holly
>> >
>> > --
>> >

> Hi,
> If lightweightness is a point of view for you, then you could try
> vimdiff. This is a tool delivered with vim. You can use it on console or
> an xterm. Extremely fast even with files what contains thousands of
> lines. You can change colorschemes and do anything what you can do with
> vim. The config file of etc-update contains the appropiate settings to
> use it for etc-update.
> I DON'T want to flame, it's just a suggestion.

[...]
no flame from my part either, but you can also try ediff in emacs...
hth,

--
Jean Magnan de Bornier
T 33 490 59 33 94

Re: View file differences side by side [ In reply to ]
Tamas Sarga wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Oct 2004, Mark Knecht wrote:
>

>>Holly & Ciaran,
>> Thanks for the ideas. They are exactly what I need. I chose xxdiff
>>since it appeared to be very light weight. It's installed and doing
>>what I need.

<snip>

<snip>

>>>You mean, something like
>>>
>>>meld
>>>easydiff
>>>kdiff3
>>>xxdiff
>>>gtkdiff
>>>
>>>?
>>>
>>>I've used meld, it's pretty good, but I've now gone back to colordiff
>>>(using as default for etc-update). If you want to diff files not related
>>>to etc-update, I can recommend meld at least, and easydiff looks OK as well.

<snip>

> Hi,
> If lightweightness is a point of view for you, then you could try
> vimdiff. This is a tool delivered with vim. You can use it on console or
> an xterm. Extremely fast even with files what contains thousands of
> lines. You can change colorschemes and do anything what you can do with
> vim. The config file of etc-update contains the appropiate settings to
> use it for etc-update.
> I DON'T want to flame, it's just a suggestion.
>
> Cheers,
> Tamas Sarga

No problem but I think you've misunderstood through no fault of your
own. Mark was *not* looking for a diff program to insert into etc-update
(I've been following his threads on this ML, the wine-users ML and the
wine-devel ML, so I know what he's trying to do, generally); he was
diffing output files from a debug process he's doing.

I only brought etc-update into it to indicate what I had used meld for
in the past and why I hadn't put colordiff on my little list (because,
having used diff programs only with respect to etc-update, I don't know
how they respond when you have to manually input the files you're
diffing. In other words, I know nothing about any diff program except
with respect to etc-update, which was not related to what Mark was
looking for).

But I'm sure that vimdiff is a great tool, and certainly useful to be
reminded that it exists, since vim has been so heavily recommended recently.

;-)

Holly

Re: View file differences side by side [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 15:16:43 +0200, Holly Bostick <motub@planet.nl> wrote:

> No problem but I think you've misunderstood through no fault of your
> own. Mark was *not* looking for a diff program to insert into etc-update
> (I've been following his threads on this ML, the wine-users ML and the
> wine-devel ML, so I know what he's trying to do, generally); he was
> diffing output files from a debug process he's doing.

Exactly true. This is exactly why I needed this sort of tool to do,
and the suggestions I've received from folks have been emmensely
helpful. I am now down to understanding where fst/jack_fst and wine
got out of sync with each other, and I hope well on my way to getting
it fixed. (well, I hope I am...)

> I only brought etc-update into it to indicate what I had used meld for
> in the past and why I hadn't put colordiff on my little list (because,
> having used diff programs only with respect to etc-update, I don't know
> how they respond when you have to manually input the files you're
> diffing. In other words, I know nothing about any diff program except
> with respect to etc-update, which was not related to what Mark was
> looking for).
>
> But I'm sure that vimdiff is a great tool, and certainly useful to be
> reminded that it exists, since vim has been so heavily recommended recently.

I tried vimdiff this morning. I does work, but there's not much gui
there so it's not quite as useful to me. Of those I've tried I quite
like xxdiff for what I'm doing, except that it doesn't seem to
remember fonts I've chosen. Small issue as I hope I won't have to use
it very long.

Again, thanks to all that have helped me here. I appreciate it greatly.

Cheers,
Mark

Re: View file differences side by side [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 29 Oct 2004, Holly Bostick wrote:

> Tamas Sarga wrote:
> > On Thu, 28 Oct 2004, Mark Knecht wrote:
> >

> >>Holly & Ciaran,
> >> Thanks for the ideas. They are exactly what I need. I chose xxdiff
> >>since it appeared to be very light weight. It's installed and doing
> >>what I need.
> >>
> <snip>

> <snip>

> <snip>
> >>

> > Hi,
> > If lightweightness is a point of view for you, then you could try
> > vimdiff. This is a tool delivered with vim. You can use it on console or
> > an xterm. Extremely fast even with files what contains thousands of
> > lines. You can change colorschemes and do anything what you can do with
> > vim. The config file of etc-update contains the appropiate settings to
> > use it for etc-update.
> > I DON'T want to flame, it's just a suggestion.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Tamas Sarga
>
> No problem but I think you've misunderstood through no fault of your
> own. Mark was *not* looking for a diff program to insert into etc-update
> (I've been following his threads on this ML, the wine-users ML and the
> wine-devel ML, so I know what he's trying to do, generally); he was
> diffing output files from a debug process he's doing.
>
> I only brought etc-update into it to indicate what I had used meld for
> in the past and why I hadn't put colordiff on my little list (because,
> having used diff programs only with respect to etc-update, I don't know
> how they respond when you have to manually input the files you're
> diffing. In other words, I know nothing about any diff program except
> with respect to etc-update, which was not related to what Mark was
> looking for).
>
> But I'm sure that vimdiff is a great tool, and certainly useful to be
> reminded that it exists, since vim has been so heavily recommended recently.
>
> ;-)
>
> Holly

Hi,
Etc-update-readiness is only a feature of vimdiff. I mentioned it only
'cause someone perhaps curious about it. Lot of newbies lament me,
'cause he/she doesn't have a good grip of the output of traditional
diff.

Cheers,
Tamas Sarga